PDA

View Full Version : Squash Gear/Equipment

armsty
07-06-2010, 01:36 AM
Hey guys, just wondering if someone can generally help me out, I am starting to get into squash with my brother. He got me today 3 sets to 1 or however you score in squash. He did lessons for 3-4 years about 10 years ago and I've never played before so I reckon I could be alright with 12 years of tennis behind me.

We don't have rackets, I wore my tennis shoes, etc. I want to know what any general rules are for buying rackets, shoes, balls, etc. If anybody can help and say in comparison to tennis gear (shoes) that'd be tops.

I think today showed me that I need to actually hit my backhand with some form of power... I was tapping it just up off his serve, that's one thing he was consistent at haha. Cheers.

ls206
07-06-2010, 04:21 AM
I played for a couple of years but never got lessons - I found that a continental grip was best and to "slap" the ball rather than to swing through like in tennis.

with Re: to equipment, you should get some proper squash shoes, tennis shoes will offer good support for squash, but you shouldn't be wearing outdoor shoes or shoes that could leave marks on the court.

Being used to my chunky tennis grips I bulked up the squash grip, but that's just preference :)

Make sure you learn how to position yourself on the court, I think good positioning will improve your game far quicker than a good forehand/backhand

armsty
07-06-2010, 04:37 AM
Yeah my brother told me about how you wanna be on the "T" after every shot or close to it and that improved my game immensely, and thus our enjoyment.

The racket I used today, some Dunlop one, wasn't too bad, was a 3 7/8 grip, it felt a lot bigger but I definitely wanted it to be bigger, I use a 4 1/2 in tennis so I'll play around with it.