PDA

View Full Version : Macbook pro has a problem

ninman
07-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Ok, so I have a macbook pro that is about 2 years old, I got it just after they released the new unibody design macbook pro's. I recently did a book and nuke because I felt my computer was running a little slowly, ever since my computer will not play dvd's. It simply does not recognise them, it keeps telling me that I inserted a blank dvd and would I like to burn something onto it. Even if I insert the dvd's that apple supplied me with when I bought the machine. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

fundrazer
07-06-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm a little confused at what you mean by a "book and nuke." Do you mean you reformatted your laptop? If that's the case then I'm guessing you forgot to reinstall drivers for the dvd drive.

ninman
07-07-2010, 02:01 AM
I'm a little confused at what you mean by a "book and nuke." Do you mean you reformatted your laptop? If that's the case then I'm guessing you forgot to reinstall drivers for the dvd drive.

it's a typo I meant to write boot and nuke. It means I zero'd out the hard drive, in other words wiped it completely. I've done this several times and never experienced this problem before, apple provides you with a DVD that has the OS on it. My computer recognises that there is a DVD in the drive, but it thinks that they are all blank. I even did a software update and got the same problem. I have no clue why it's doing this.

albino smurf
07-07-2010, 04:57 AM
are you holding c down when you reboot? otherwise look up starting in terminal. should be an easy fix.

ninman
07-07-2010, 12:33 PM
are you holding c down when you reboot? otherwise look up starting in terminal. should be an easy fix.

Yes, and could you give me more detail about how to fix it in terminal please. Also I should add that any DVD that has been bought in a store, i.e. not a blank DVD that I burned something onto, it says is blank. Every other DVD (i.e. ones that I've burned myself) it just ejects them.

djokovicgonzalez2010
07-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Is it a retail version of the CD?

ninman
07-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Is it a retail version of the CD?

Yes, it is a completely legal DVD movie that I bought in a shop in the UK, the macbook pro was also purchased in the UK.