PDA

View Full Version : Head LM Prestige: bigger headsize than past Prestige frames??

AndrewD
05-22-2005, 12:24 AM
While I realise a lot has been posted regarding the LM Prestige mid I thought I'd weigh in with my two cents and mention a few differences I found in comparison with the Head Prestige Pro (one of the earliest incarnations of the Prestige).

I was very surprised to find that despite the specs listing its swingweight as 340 and its overall weight as 12.3 ounces the LM feels and swings considerably lighter than my old version. Has a 'tinny' kind of feel to it which isn't as pleasing, touch isn't as good but, overall, it seems to be a far less demanding and more user friendly version. Power was a real surprise with the LM being considerably more powerful than the Prestige Pro. The LM I hit with was strung at 62lbs with a standard Head synthetic while my Prestige Pro is strung at 45lbs, also with a standard synthetic. I thought that might balance things out, however, the LM's power levels were far in advance of the Prestige Pro as was its spin potential (topspin and slice). Touch isn't as good but, overall, it seems to be a far less demanding and more user friendly version. Looks like a useful frame to go to if you've been a Prestige user but are starting to find it a bit under-powered, however, dont want to go to the mid-plus version.

The second surprise I had was when I compared the headsizes of the Prestige Pro and the LM. I had assumed that they would be the same, however, it was quite apparent that the LM is a touch larger. Certainly, while playing, it felt that way to me but I had thought the weight and swingweight difference might be playing tricks. A comparison showed that not to be the case. The LM's owner, who has used Prestige frames since they first became available said there is a slight difference and one he notices when stringing (requires just a touch more string for the LM).

Has anyone else noticed that and if you have, when did Head change the Prestige's headsize? Id always believe the Prestige was 89.5sq instead of the advertised 93sq. With the LM Prestige, have they actually gone up to the 93sq?

GregOz
05-22-2005, 04:31 AM
That's an interesting assessment of the LM Prestige, Andrew. As you know, Im using the PC600 and it is in need of replacement. Wouldn't mind a bit of extra pop if it still had control. Didn't feel the iPrestige was the answer, didn't really like the feel, so perhaps the LM might be a better option for me as well.

Im not surprised that its lighter than your Prestige Pro, that thing feel like a club and Im damned if I know how you manage to swing it so fast, especially on the forehand. Probably wouldnt hurt your shoulder to have a lower swingweight either. Good luck

ffrpg
05-22-2005, 08:13 AM
I agree. The older Prestiges have a head size that's closer to 90''. The new LM is more closer to the listed 93'' head size. I think the i.prestige is also closer to the listed 93'' head size. I know my Prestige Classic definitely isn't 93''. I compared it to my Wilson Tour 90 and the head size on the Prestige Classic was slightly smaller.

BLiND
05-22-2005, 08:22 AM
This is totally wrong... the LM Prestige Mid has a 89.5" head size... comepair it to any true 90" and you can see it is smaller. However I cannot comment on the Prestige Classic/Pro

GregOz
05-22-2005, 08:35 AM
Blind, while Im not doubting you Im just curious as to how you know for a fact that the LM Prestige mid is actually 89.5sq and not slightly larger. After reading Andrew's post I had a look at one in our pro shop and it does appear to be, as he said, slightly/marginally different to the Prestige I have. It's not much, but appears to be a touch fuller at about the 2 and 11 o'clock positions.

BLiND
05-22-2005, 08:54 AM
Because I own 2 of them, and compaired them to Vantage 90", RDX500 90", Prince Diablo Mid 93" & Slazenger X1 95".

You might find that the head shape is slightly different to the older ones, I know the LM Prestige has a slightly different shape to an i.Prestige... but not necessarly different size.

Loud
05-22-2005, 10:05 AM
Do these not all take the same grommet sets?

AndrewD
05-22-2005, 04:48 PM
Blind,
that doesn't actually tell me whether Head has increased the headsize of the Prestige just that, going on your estimate, the LM is 89.5sq.

Loud,
that is probably a much better way to work it out . If it is just a more rounded head shape that Im noticing then the grommet strips will fit perfectly. If it is a touch larger then the grommets might not line up.

Actually, you've made me realise the best way would be a piece of string and a ruler. Just run it around the head and check the results.

Regardless, at 89.5 or whatever size, the LM is a marked change from the Prestige Pro. Feels like double the sweetspot and greater spin potential with far less effort. Not as 'clubby' as the Prestige Pro so I might have to make a slight adjustment on the forehand but that extra spin makes it far more effective on approach shots.

Thanks for all your info guys, guess Ive just sorted my new racquet.

Deuce
05-22-2005, 09:18 PM
There will be some slight 'differences' in head size and shape between strung and unstrung racquets.

As well, the LM Prestige comes in both a Mid and a MidPlus. If there was a noticeable difference between the Prestige Pro and the LM Prestige, are you absolutely sure you were using the LM Mid, and not the MidPlus, Andrew?

iTxMe
05-22-2005, 09:35 PM
i compared my i. prestige mid with my friend's ntour 90" today. I. prestige mid's head size is a little smaller!!! definately not 93", i was shocked.

BLiND
05-22-2005, 10:55 PM
yup they r smaller :-)

AndrewD
05-23-2005, 12:40 AM
Deuce,
The first thing I thought was that it might be the midplus but discounted that notion straight away as, really, it is pretty hard to mistake the two. Regardless, I did look at the labelling and it said mid, also the difference wasn't that much. There was, however, a difference. Both racquets were strung, although I did consider that the Prestige Pro being an older frame and strung more times than the LM might have had some alteration over time.

Fine, the iPrestige is smaller than 90sq, that was never my question. My original question related to the LM Prestige mid being different to the Prestige Pro mid.

I'm sure everyone here who has played a lot of tennis knows that you can 'feel' even a slight difference in headsize or shape and there was something noticably different about the LM in comparison to the Prestige Pro.

Im NOT, however, trying to state for a fact that the LM is bigger. It felt slightly larger and in comparison looked slightly larger. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean it really is. I ask the question purely out of interest and to see if anyone else has noticed it or has any idea what I might have been experiencing.

The only thing I can think which might explain it and seems to me to be the most logical answer, given that everyone says the actual size has remained the same, is what Blind suggested.

That is, a slight shape change. My left hand always sits on the strings and the position it took up was slightly different from the LM to Prestige Pro. That makes me think the LM might be a bit rounder than the Prestige Pro, which could explain the flaring up top.

Now the question will be, how does that change the way it plays, if at all.