PDA

View Full Version : If I remove the bumper guard...?

igor
04-17-2004, 09:26 AM
I would like to make my TiClassic more head light, but don't wanna make it heavier. What would be the consequences of removing the bumper, particularly in terms of stability? Also, is it bad for the string? I know Agassi plays without guard, and Becker used to. Of course I'm neither and would need a more forgiving racquet, but what are your thoughts on this?
Thanks

Swan Song
04-17-2004, 01:13 PM
I have not removed a bumper guard on my racquet, but stability wise, I do not think it would still be the same. I do not think it is bad for the strings because in your racquet, the durability of the strings would be the same as w/out the bumper guard. Remember, use a box cutter and carefully remove the strip.

David Pavlich
04-17-2004, 06:37 PM
The bumper does two things: It protects the frame from scraping the court and it protects the strings from scraping the court.

It is also part of the grommets that protect the strings from the sharp edge of the frame.

I don't know how you could do this without jeapordizing the intregrity of the upper hoop, not to mention how often you'd be popping strings when you scraped the court.

You might be able to reduce the mass of the bumper by carefully cutting out small sections of the bumper. Wilson offers this option on the 6.3 HH...a solid bumper or a cut out bumper. However, you'd have to be very methodical about this process by weighing each piece you cut out and removing an identical amount of weight on the opposite side of the bumper to maintain balance.

Frankly, I don't think it's worth the effort.

David

PHSTennis
04-17-2004, 08:41 PM
They dont weight much.. If you take them out get some silicone tubes and put them as your guard, your strings will pop without the due to scraping on the ground or the strings hitting the hard sharp graphic in the holes on the racket.. just weight the bumper and counter weight, wraping lead tape on the handle would do the job greatly and without having to remove the butt cap :)

SteveI
04-18-2004, 08:56 AM
Igor,

Steve Here.. I think you can remove the bumper guard from the Ti.Classic and still have the grommet strip in place... Just like the Radical OS line. Pull the grommet strip on the head piece.. and then the bumper guard. You can then just (I think) install the grommet strip. This was the case on the some of the Radical series frames and... and I know for a fact on the Head Classic MP and Head Prest MP. One of my regular partners plays the Ti.Classic that way here.

Good luck Igor... and happy hitting.

Check it out.

Steve