PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4 users- does it need a case?

TMCW140
07-08-2010, 04:50 AM
Random thread, i know, but ho hum.
I'm getting an iPhone tomorrow and was wondering if it actually needs a protective case?
The old ones definitely did due to the plastic back being so scratch-prone, but since the new one is scratch-resistant glass on the front and back, do i really need one?
I'm not planning to drop it anytime soon, so if i were to get a case, it would be a lightweight one to protect against scratches etc.
Anyone help me on this?

mikeler
07-08-2010, 05:51 AM
I like to protect my precious iPhone, so I'll always buy a case and screen protectors.

TMCW140
07-08-2010, 05:55 AM
Haha, fair enough- i get mine tomorrow, but am going away on saturday, so won't have time to get one straight away. Could be a nervous week!

PimpMyGame
07-08-2010, 06:07 AM
A colleague just got an iPhone 4 and went to the local Apple store to seek assistance. He was told that there was definitely no need for the protective screen covers as the new toughened glass was difficult to scratch, just don't put your phone in your pocket with keys.

The full case of previous iPhones also seems to be a thing of the past - due to the toughened outer casing it seems that you only need a bumper. See the link below.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC597ZM/A?mco=MTgxOTQ0ODA

PimpMyGame
07-08-2010, 06:13 AM
Just another thought - if there are any of the smooth, matte finish protective screen covers I'd actually suggest one of those. I have an iPhone 3GS and in addition to the protective element, this type of screen cover allows your finger to glide over the screen easier than the normal covers or even no cover. I have found that my fingers can sometimes stick or skid on plain glass.

origmarm
07-08-2010, 06:13 AM
I use this one for my 3Gs:
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TU776ZM/A

It is excellent without being bulky.

My colleague with the new iphone in the US has alledgedly already managed to scratch his 4g. He is however an animal (went through about 4 iphones in a year due to dropping etc....reversed over one in a bag once...).

rommil
07-08-2010, 07:27 AM
I have the 4g so far it "cleans" very easy though I am wondering if they would make a screen film like the older ones. Also I am looking into getting the "bumpers". There doesn't seem to have a lot of other parties developing protective accessories so far for the 4G.

esm
07-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Random thread, i know, but ho hum.
I'm getting an iPhone tomorrow and was wondering if it actually needs a protective case?
The old ones definitely did due to the plastic back being so scratch-prone, but since the new one is scratch-resistant glass on the front and back, do i really need one?
I'm not planning to drop it anytime soon, so if i were to get a case, it would be a lightweight one to protect against scratches etc.
Anyone help me on this?

also, depends on how you hold it. you may want a case to "resolve" the reception issue* with the iPhone 4.

* - a google serach should give you more info :)

TMCW140
07-08-2010, 03:00 PM
also, depends on how you hold it. you may want a case to "resolve" the reception issue* with the iPhone 4.

* - a google serach should give you more info :)

Ha, don't worry, i'm right handed :-D
Brilliant, thanks for all the help guys, looks like i'll be able to see out the week and go from there.
Thanks again :-)

Tchocky
07-09-2010, 02:49 PM
You definitely need a protective case for something as fragile as the iPhone or iPod Touch. I know several people that have damaged their iPhone because they didn't invest in a case.

BullDogTennis
07-09-2010, 04:31 PM
You definitely need a protective case for something as fragile as the iPhone or iPod Touch. I know several people that have damaged their iPhone because they didn't invest in a case.

had my iphone for 2 years, drop it daily (not on purpose) on concrete...and the glass hasn't broke at all... the back cracked a little, but it didn't hurt anything since its just plastic...

35ft6
07-11-2010, 01:35 PM
I took mine off. I have a 3G. Don't miss the extra protection at all.