PDA

View Full Version : How do I sew pockets into shorts?

SuperFly
07-09-2010, 09:37 AM
My uncle came from out of town to visit and he gave me a pair of shorts which I really like. But there's no pockets in them, which is really inconvenient. How would I put in pockets? I'd like as much detail as possible. Thanks.

Here they are, btw:
http://i29.tinypic.com/2lclj0i.jpg

NickH87
07-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Get some cloth and sew it into the shape or a pocket. Cut a line into your shorts and sew the open end of the pockets onto the shorts???

Doesnt seem that bad but it will probably end up crappy.

kimbahpnam
07-09-2010, 11:49 PM
ask someone who knows how to sew to add pockets to them.

LameTennisPlayer
07-10-2010, 07:16 AM
you could also buy pants and make them into shorts

Geezer Guy
07-10-2010, 12:32 PM
I think you're just going to have to do what the girls do with no pockets. But, that's really gross for guys.

Fearsome Forehand
07-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Get a girlfriend who knows had to sew.

It is pretty easy to get tennis shorts that have pockets already in them so it really isn't worth the time/effort/cost to do it yourself.

SuperFly
07-10-2010, 01:39 PM
I think you're just going to have to do what the girls do with no pockets. But, that's really gross for guys.

Wait, what? I just want some pockets. Is that too much to ask for? :neutral:

JohnnyCracker
07-10-2010, 01:43 PM
- zip lock bags, 4X6
- scissors
- duct tape
:)

albino smurf
07-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Step one: Go to store.
Step two: Find shorts with existing pockets.
Step three: Purchase or steal shorts with existing pockets.
Step four: Wear shorts with existing pockets.

Pockets are good for carrying things. Many manufacturers of clothing include them in their designs.

hollywood9826
07-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Some nice Nike soccer shorts there man.

A pocket is nothing more than a pouch. just get some matching color fabric make a pouch with about a 6 or 7 inch opening.

The you need to remove a hole about that size from the inseam of the shorts. Not quite sure how far up the white goes but if it goes all the way up that's perfect. once you have the hole to size you want just sew each side of the pouch/pocket the shorts. leaving an opening of course. Just make sure to reinforce the top and bottom openings of the pockets or they will rip out fairly quickly.

T1000
07-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Give them to a girl, sewing is a woman's job ;)

GetBetterer
07-10-2010, 02:30 PM
JohnnyCracker:
- zip lock bags, 4X6
- scissors
- duct tape

"When all else fails, you always have delusion."

-_-
=================================================
Anyways, here's how I did it on my comfortable pants for Tennis. Also, because your sport shorts are Nike, I'm going to assume it's double layered which is basically a giant piece of fabric with the mirror image on both sides, which is then folded together and sewed. Adidas is usually single-layered with just a pocket inside (50/50, some Adidas are double layered for extra sweat absorption and pants-fall-down-ity).

1. First, get some fabric for your pocket. You will also want some cardboard to help you make a good cutout design for your pocket. Now, I'm assuming you want to make the pocket for Tennis, so it needs to be a little huge-looking.
* Just put a tennis ball on the cardboard, and grab it with your hand. Afterwards, put your cloth fabric over it and get a square area around your hand design. This is just in case you mess up so you have room for error.

2. Now, put some needles, or rocks in the areas that your wrist was at. From those areas, add about 3 centimeters to both sides (not sure how much that is in inches). Draw a line down and at the area where you had your hand grasping the ball, draw a semi-circle.
* You now have your pocket cut out, and although it looks huge, remember that this is a 2D design, while your pocket is 3D and requires some of it's room to be put into your pants.

3. The hardest part. Because I'm assuming you have double layered pants, pull out one layer and separate them. This is usually pretty easy, as one layer usually will stay on the ground, but just in case, pull out the other layer with your other hand by putting your hand in the leg area and by pulling out the other layer if your pants aren't already on them. You have Nike Shorts, so this shouldn't be a tough problem. Cut a small slit in your pants, two centimeters shorter than the pocket's top part (where your hand goes in) where you want the pocket to be.
* Then, slide pocket slice in.
* Before you sew, trace the pocket around the outside of your pants, except make the entire tracing 2 centimeters smaller around outside of your pants in order to make your pockets 3D instead of 2D.

4. Put your pocket "slice" inside, and sew around. Try to get the very edge for maximum volume.

:) Hope that helped, and hope you don't mess your pocket up (sorry for the lack of pictures).

Edit: Use a comfortable fabric, such as silk (although that may be too comfortable).

SuperFly
07-10-2010, 02:51 PM
JohnnyCracker:

-_-
=================================================
Anyways, here's how I did it on my comfortable pants for Tennis. Also, because your sport shorts are Nike, I'm going to assume it's double layered which is basically a giant piece of fabric with the mirror image on both sides, which is then folded together and sewed. Adidas is usually single-layered with just a pocket inside (50/50, some Adidas are double layered for extra sweat absorption and pants-fall-down-ity).

1. First, get some fabric for your pocket. You will also want some cardboard to help you make a good cutout design for your pocket. Now, I'm assuming you want to make the pocket for Tennis, so it needs to be a little huge-looking.
* Just put a tennis ball on the cardboard, and grab it with your hand. Afterwards, put your cloth fabric over it and get a square area around your hand design. This is just in case you mess up so you have room for error.

2. Now, put some needles, or rocks in the areas that your wrist was at. From those areas, add about 3 centimeters to both sides (not sure how much that is in inches). Draw a line down and at the area where you had your hand grasping the ball, draw a semi-circle.
* You now have your pocket cut out, and although it looks huge, remember that this is a 2D design, while your pocket is 3D and requires some of it's room to be put into your pants.

3. The hardest part. Because I'm assuming you have double layered pants, pull out one layer and separate them. This is usually pretty easy, as one layer usually will stay on the ground, but just in case, pull out the other layer with your other hand by putting your hand in the leg area and by pulling out the other layer if your pants aren't already on them. You have Nike Shorts, so this shouldn't be a tough problem. Cut a small slit in your pants, two centimeters shorter than the pocket's top part (where your hand goes in) where you want the pocket to be.
* Then, slide pocket slice in.
* Before you sew, trace the pocket around the outside of your pants, except make the entire tracing 2 centimeters smaller around outside of your pants in order to make your pockets 3D instead of 2D.

4. Put your pocket "slice" inside, and sew around. Try to get the very edge for maximum volume.

:) Hope that helped, and hope you don't mess your pocket up (sorry for the lack of pictures).

Edit: Use a comfortable fabric, such as silk (although that may be too comfortable).

Finally, thanks for not being sarcastic. :)

GetBetterer
07-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Yeah I know right? The first part of my post was real too. o_O