PDA

View Full Version : Is POG OS really shoulder friendly?

bounce-hit
05-22-2005, 02:43 PM
Many on this board say that heavy racquets can exacerbate shoulder problems, whereas light stiff racquets can cause tennis elbow. I have had both elbow and shoulder issues, but most recently the shoulder has really been bothering me. I prefer heavy (and extended) racquets, currently playing with Babolat Pure Control Plus, because I regularly go up against heavy hitters and I need the stability. I have tried playing with string type/tension to make the Bab more arm-friendly, to no avail. I don't want to develop any long-term complications and think I better switch racquets. POG OS is supposed to be shoulder and elbow friendly, but wouldn't the relatively high SW make my shoulder worse? And if I have to go to a lighter racquet to relieve my shoulder pain, which sub-11 oz racquet offers the most stability?

bob
05-22-2005, 04:01 PM
I've had some lighter racquets bother my shoulder and elbow a bit. No problems with the POG OS. Played off and on for 3 years with one.

louis netman
05-22-2005, 04:17 PM
The POG OS is generally an arm friendly racket. However, most problems are idiosyncratic. For me, if I go too light, my wrist and elbow will hurt... if I go too heavy, then I'll feel it in my shoulder. I would not recommend a longer racket as the extra length exerts that much more strain on the shoulder. Do some experimentation with lead on a stick that's light enough to not hurt your shoulder. Find out what your swing-weight tolerance is. Then find a stick that works for you in terms of your game and also meets that weight tolerance...

bounce-hit
05-22-2005, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the input. Louis, what racquet/string do you use?

Z-Man
05-22-2005, 05:06 PM
Did you add weight to your Babolat? It's true a stiff racquet can hurt your elbow, and a heavy racquet can hurt your shoulder. The POG's flex makes it elbow friendly, and its headlight balance makes it ok on the shoulder despite its static weight. I made the mistake of adding weight to a POG LB. It played insanely well, but it wasn't good on the shoulder. I switched around for a while, but just came back to the POG LB--only this time I left the leather grip on and kept it 12pts headlight. It's fairly shoulder friendly as long as you resist the temptation to lead it up. Instead, drop the tension a pound or two and let the strings do the work instead of your rotator cuff. If you like a 27.5 incher, get a POG LB and cut half an inch off. Similar specs to the Bab, only it's arm friendly and you'll get tons of feel.

AJK1
05-22-2005, 06:27 PM
Hi, i previously used light, head heavy racquets and they just stuffed up my elbow and shoulder big time. They are a recipe for disaster.
I have good technique, so my problems were not from bad technique.
So i now use POGS with multifilament string and i've never had any problems. They are awesome. Just read the reviews on them.
Also, i would never use an extended racquet because they cause shoulder problems. There is plenty of scientific data on the web to back this up. Change racquets before it's too late. Trust me, i speak from experience.

louis netman
05-22-2005, 10:18 PM
I'm currently using the Volkl Tour 10 MP (Gen I) with the grommet strip chopped off till the 13th hole (thanx to tip by Nobadmojo). It's more headlight this way and doesn't jack up my shoulder (previous torn rotator). It still maintains the same feel, that is, flexible and arm/wrist friendly. I love the C10 Pro much better, however, I can't chop excess head weight of of it.... The modded T10 is the next best thing...
You need to switch now before it's too late. Bab wil shorten your tennis life, trust me. If you can make millions in a few years with Bab, go for it...then retire, move to Maui never having to play again. If not, take time to find what works. From that point on you'll know where to go in terms of rackets and strings. Get used to the feel of flexible frames. I love to play with the old precision respnse Ti, unfortunately, after I'm done kicking ***...I need a weeks vacation...not good. Always remember this fact: we're getting older, not younger...