PDA

View Full Version : Yo! C10Pro users that have also hitthe Tour10MP

NoBadMojo
04-17-2004, 11:07 AM
Hi all. I bet a couple of you can help me with this. I really love my Tour10MP's but would love to find something very similar but just a hair eaiser to swing. I'm getting older..oh well:) I know the C10 has a heavier static weight but it is way more headlight than the T10MP. I am using my T10mps just stock w. no lead. Have been trying lighter racquets and can serve better w. lighter, but the lighter frames dont hit a heavier ball from the ground like the T10mps do and i play solely on the dirt these days. Ok..finally getting around to my question..do you think the C10Pro to be a little quicker on the serve and a hair more maneuverable than my T10mp's? I have 4 of these and 3 feel identical to me, so i am thinking they are just about on spec. Also, if we do think the C10 to be slightly lighter thru the air, would anyone be willing to trade one of my t10mp's for a C10? thanks all. Ed

Richie Rich
04-17-2004, 11:54 AM
Hey Ed,

I play with the stock C10Pro (no lead) and I have tried the T10MP for a few weeks thinking I would like the updated frame better. WRONG. My C10's had a little more stability and a little more pop on my serve than the T10MP. Everything else was pretty equal (volleys, groundies, o/h), although the C10 felt a little heavier after 3 sets of singles than the Tour10MP. I had both frames strung with same string at same tension and they were strung at the same time. This is just my observation and no doubt there are tons of people who have switched from the C10 to the T10 an liked it but for pretty much the same racquet I dodn't feel like shelling out extra cash (more $ for after match beer :lol: ).

Rabbit
04-17-2004, 02:12 PM
To me, the C10 does feel heavier, but the headlight balance makes it easier to maneuver than the Tour 10 MP. The Tour 10's more even balance does make it harder to serve with, and if you're looking for a little bit of a tweak in your frame, then the C10 might fill the bill.

I've 8 5" strips of lead tape to mine, but have been thinking lately of removing it for the very reason you are, Ed. But, as usual, I digress. The C10 is more maneuverable than the Tour 10, the trade off is the C10 is a little less stable than the Tour 10. But, not less stable enough that you couldn't live with it, I'll warrant.

The C10 also has a touch more of the famous Volkl flex that I just can't live without now.

NoBadMojo
04-17-2004, 02:41 PM
richie thanks for the post. no after match beer for me...vodka and gator ade pls :) i know there isnt gonna be too much diff between the frames, but like rabbit sez, i am just looking for a tweaking here. the right thing to do would be to get myself in better shape, but my tourney days are over and i just play ball for the joy of it now and like rabbit really love the feel of the volkl's. i was happily using the c8 pro playing hardcourt ball and then moved and play on nothing but clay. i hit a quick ball w. the c8 but not a heavy ball so i moved to the tour10mp for the clay..i just cant swing it as fast as i want for as long as i need to. all the lighter frames dont feel right to me and i cant hit anything that penetrates the court form the ground w. a lithter bat...i think i am gonna get weary w. the c10 too based on what you guys say. maybe i will try the tour8 special edition w. a little lead. thanks for the input. ed

bcaz
04-17-2004, 04:41 PM
Ed/nobad:

I have a C-10 Pro in my bag. My game racquets are heavy, around 12.9 oz., and I really like hitting with the C-10 Pro, especially when I feel a bit slow. It does swing lighter than its weight would suggest, and it has an unmatched combination of flex, feel and pop. It's an excellent all-court racquet -- filthy spin, great touch on volleys, surprising power off the ground and on serves. I demoed it last year against the Tour 10MP and the Tour 10 mid. The MP was nice, maybe a tad more accurate on flat shots, but I didn't like the balance as much, and it felt a little clumsy at the net.

I'm 50, not far behind you, and I wonder when I'll need to switch to a lighter stick than still lets me return big serves from younger guys. If you can work a trade for a C-10, great; I'm keeping mine, though. :) I wouldn't rule out getting one one way or another; I doubt new ones will be around much longer. Anyway, please keep us posted on your experiences.

BC

larrhall
04-17-2004, 05:02 PM
I guess you tried the V-Engine 10 - I don't recall. If not, definitely it's worth a demo. Also the new Slazenger X-1 could be interesting, with a swingweight around 315. They have made these at last somewhat flexible, with reading at 64. I am going to demo this one and will post a review.

I have hit the Tour 10 MP and played the C10 pro some time back for about a year. I much prefer the feel of the C10. I am pretty sure it has higher swingweight but you may not notice it - the solidity and flex of the Pro might win you over, Ed.

NoBadMojo
04-17-2004, 05:11 PM
bcaz....not being argumentative but you find your weighted up c10's more maneuverable than the stock t10mps at net? i find the t10mp to be best at volleying, but i am a converted s.v guy. are you saying the stock c10 plays lighter than the t10mp? if so, i'm there, and i know i will be able to serve better with it because it's more headlight. i think i am gonna cut a little of the grommet material out of the head of one of mine and see if the more headlight and overall litlle bit less weight will make a difference. i dont need the protection playing on the dirt. a small change can make a big diff for me. i do think the t10mps to be actually pretty powerful....i bet more so than the c10, and maybe i can get topspin back on my backhand :) played a guy this week that recently won a natl 45's clay tourney a few days ago..i got my butt handed to me 6-2, 6-2 but could have held a few more service games w. a better serving bat. all in all it wasnt bad for an old hard courter trying to convert to clay.....i am prob hoping for too much and i am prob not gonna too many free points from my serve on clay. thanks for your post bcaz. will let you know how my experiment works out if you are interested. ed

dje31
04-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Ed:

Have you tried leather on your T10M+? I did that with my T10Ms, plus a Babolat VS Original overgrip, to add a bit of feel, as well as make it a bit more headlight. So far, so good.

My wife plays with the C10Pro...I haven't spent a ton of time with it, but for me, I prefer my T10M. But if all of my T10s were stolen or disappeared, I could easily play with the C10.

bcaz
04-17-2004, 05:33 PM
My bad, Ed/nobad -- sorry I wasn't more clear. The 12.9 oz. game racquets I mentioned are modified Estusa PBBs, not C-10 Pros ... I didn't mention the Estusas by name because I didn't want the thread to get sidetracked from a good discussion about the Volkls. I do believe the C-10 swings a little lighter than the T10 MP, but it's not a huge difference. And some players think the T10 is more powerful on the ground. I can buy that on your one-handed backhand, given the balance on the T10. I hit a two-hander from the baseline with a one-handed slice on approaches and volleys, so I like the C-10's spin. All in all, you can tell they are from the same family.

I kind of envy your access to the clay, Ed. Out here in sunny AZ 8), it's all hardball. I've played on clay in New Hampshire a few times, and it sure is easy on these old bones. I've only played five years now, but I love the game, play a lot, and love the all-court style. I do manage a few easy points on my serve and net approaches, so I better stay off the dirt until the body can't take any more "street ball" ... BC

NoBadMojo
04-17-2004, 07:31 PM
hi guys. i do have leather on my t10mp's plus the wilson pro overgrip and it does make them feel more headlight not to mention the other benefits of the leather. but weight is still weight and i dont think you can make a racquet swing easier by adding weight to it anywhere. the v-engine10 is def too much frame for me because of the weight and i didnt enjoy the v-engine9 at all. bcaz, yea it's great playing on the dirt even though it doesnt suit my style. not too many down here chip/charge on the clay, come in when returning someones' kicker that lands short in the box etc, but i would get killed by the evil western baseline bashers on clay if i try and just stay back :) thanks for the posts guys..appreciated. ed

dje31
04-18-2004, 01:38 PM
Here's a thought...have you tried the Cat 10? I know there were several threads going around recently comparing it to the C10. I bought one for my sister and one for my bro-in-law from Michael Chaho. They're at the shop being strung and having the pallets swapped on one of them. I'll try to take one out with my wife's C10 Pro and my T10Mid before I give them to family.

On paper, it might just fit the bill, but we all know how that works...but it's lighter than the T10MP, and should have a bit more pop via the Catapult...which may or may not be a good thing...esp. since it's a variation on what Babolat has done with its woofers...

topspin
04-18-2004, 01:48 PM
I play with the C10 and recently tried the Tour 10 Mid+ (98sq in). The tour 10 is a nice feeling frame and it has that famous Volkl feel for me. Although I did notice it has just a tad less of that feel than the C10. I have my C10 custmozized with about 7 g of lead tape at 3 & 9 and also 2 overgrips, so the weight is really up there. But I do remember how it felt uncustomized, and yes I would say the Tour 10 has a slightly more head heavy balance giving it more stabillity as-is. However, it also feels a bit stiffer and I found more balls going way out with it But the differences are subtle and both are excellent frames. For me though, I won't upgrade to the Tour10 since I prefer my C10. If something should happen to my C10 (ouch), I would be able to live with the Tour 10.

The Tour 10 V-Engine looks really interesting. I hope to try that one sometime in the next few months.

tennis*bill
04-19-2004, 10:24 AM
I've played w/ the C10 for about 6 years. I've also been trying the T10MP for the last year. I switch off between the 2 sticks every so often, and when restringing. They are fairly interchangeable for me, but something in me just prefers the C10. It just feels more solid. Both of the sticks I play w/ are stock. I think my volleys are better w/ the C10, though the other is no slouch. Either one works.

Capt. Willie
04-19-2004, 01:21 PM
I couldn't really tell much difference between the two...if anything, and this is hard to put into words, the C10 just felt more "comfortable" to me. Of course that may have been because of the different strings in the Tour 10 MP I tried. Anyway, if I need a new racquet and couldn't get another C10 I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Tour 10MP but I didn't see anything that great about it to switch at this point in time.

NoBadMojo
04-19-2004, 01:46 PM
i cut as much grommet material out of one of my tour10mp's as i could and that made a notoicable diference in the balance..they feel heavy enough to me still but i can move them quicker on the serve and it is less fatiguiing for me to play with, so i think i have my answer. the grommet strip doesnt weigh so much because the beam is thin, but it did make the bat noticeably more headlight and it weighs slightly less, which gave me enough of a boost i think so i am happy. thanks to all for their good advice. i did hit w. the cat10 for long enough to determine that i liked the weight and balance, but not the unpredictable stringbed even at high tension and i hit a heavy ball w. the tour10 but not the cat10..i can swing it faster but the tour10mp is more powerful for me. thanks again. dilemn solved. ed