PDA

View Full Version : You Will Never Find Your Holy Grail

Recon
07-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Allow me to share my thoughts on racquet theory and how we will never find that racquet that makes us play like a pro. I feel like these boards is a major component towards always having you searching for a better and better racquet. I'll use myself as an example, since i've switched from my head LM radical OS (beginning days), I went straight into the n90. From here I didn't really care about the tenniswarehouse boards, I was having too much fun trying to perfect my One hander DTL which btw feels amazing when you pass someone, tennis was amazingly fun and I didn't care if the top 25 is using 100sq in racquets.

Then I started frequenting these boards more, and every time I would end up in the racquets section I would always start to doubt things..."is the n90 too heavy for me? Do I need a bigger headsize? Would a prestige fit my game? Wow what a nice review on the dunlop aerogel 200 seems like a good racquet...I am shanking a bit...I think...Will this racquet bring my game up" so on and so forth. For a while I did venture out of my n90's without much success, my strokes have been so grooved to the weight and feel that nothing but a mid felt comfortable, I ultimately ended up with the k90's back to what I was comfortable with, and just recently the phenomenon started up again, "this prince rebel seems really good, should I just move up to the k/blx 95?" For a while I was just playing with my I.prestige midplus (great racquet btw) but nothing can compare to my k90's I took back out today.

What originally sparked these enlightening(for me, feel free to agree) thoughts was reading Ross K's post. He continually asks what are the pros and cons to a racquet....!! continually buying racquets, I mean things like this are very subjective to the player and their style, No player in the world will have the same thoughts and same preferences as you, as any of you, so whats the point of going through 300 racquets and never finding a racquet you like? Just pick a racquet you play well with and work on your game!

Fair game to TW, creating a board such as these is brilliant in its idea, having people compare racquets only brings up interest in other frames...from a buisness perspective its brilliant and the racquet companies themselves understand that the majority of tennis players whos chances to make it pro are unlikely will always be searching for a better racquet to bring them to another level, but honestly I feel that everytime you swtich racquets you just restarted the clocks and now have to get adjusted that racquet instead of progressing with the one you had.

I guess what i'm saying is, we're brainwashed so hard into believing finding the perfect racquet for our game is going to make us ultimately happy with our game...but honestly, how many racquets have you switch to and in the beginning months you feel its perfect, and end up switching a month later, I mean the term honeymoon with a racquet is evidence enough that this is actually accepted in our minds. I believe the racquet companys have succeeded into basically brainwashing all club players (hope that doesn't sound too much like a conspiracy, it is their goal though, keep you buying the "new Technology"). Young proffesionals rarely if ever change racquets because they understand its the man swinging the stick, not the stick itself, when their serve is off, they get back to technique..rituals, timing. Not changing to a bigger headsize.

What do you guys think, I know long, but if you've stayed with me and read, you owe it to yourself to post I appreciate every ones thoughts, you can agree, disagree, just don't start any flame wars as I will totally ignore them, I feel too philosophical right now(i know...) to engage in trolling activities.

My personal apologies to Ross K, I don't know you personally, I just found you to be the biggest example I can use, Please do not feel offended as like I said, I don't know you personally, you sound like a cool homie anyway. i'd like for you to post as well.

kishnabe
07-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Becareful....your not supposed to tell them that you can get banned you know.
jk

You know what you say is true...but buying different racquets are still fun to have around. I primarily use the Blx 90...and I anything I would only stick to the 90 series but I have a K88, Babolat Aeropro drive and PureDrive. Those racquets don't suit me except for the 88(damm heavy)...Still every racquet feels unique and most likely there for collection.

I bet every swtiches their holy grail as they get older and better.

Viper
07-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Completely true. I had this little revelation a few days and have since changed my racket search from a "Will this make me better?" to "Do I like the way this racket feels?". A racket will not make an incremental change in power, or control or whatever. It's all in the player: play with what feels good, and get better.

1stVolley
07-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Technique and "mental fitness" are what makes a tennis player. The racquet is a much less significant factor. That said, racquets do definitely influence one's game. Not only swingweight, strings and flex, but handle shape have an influence. If you stick with a particular racquet, your technique will adapt. Of course, there are limits. A slender youth may always find the kps 88 too heavy.

Since technique and mental fitness are the most important factors in tennis, the implication is that racquets (and everything else) can not be the holy grail.

Also, we should realize that our technique and "mental fitness" is not a constant. A racquet that we think is perfect today, may be less so in a year simply because we have made some, even small, technique changes. Also, some people play better periodically changing racquets. Whether the challenge of adapting to a new stick awakens more competitive juices or whatever, I've personally noticed that sometimes changing sticks is the factor that (temporarily) raises the level of my game a bit

Recon
07-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Becareful....your not supposed to tell them that you can get banned you know.
jk

You know what you say is true...but buying different racquets are still fun to have around. I primarily use the Blx 90...and I anything I would only stick to the 90 series but I have a K88, Babolat Aeropro drive and PureDrive. Those racquets don't suit me except for the 88(damm heavy)...Still every racquet feels unique and most likely there for collection.

I bet every swtiches their holy grail as they get older and better.

I agree on the collection, thats cool. I don't have money like alot of people here, but I do have priceless friends who also play tennis and they let me play with their sticks even though I ultimately end up popping their strings. The aeropro drive is a BEAST!! huge forehands with that thing, huge spin as well. Didn't like the feel of swinging a 100sq in racquet, but it was definitely beastly! One of my friends even gave me the original APD, the black one, raw in the feel that one. I think better than the new ones except that hollow feelings.

thank you both for posting and sharing your thoughts.

Fed Kennedy
07-10-2010, 03:50 PM
All racquets are the grail. I realized this awhile back. But then I started looking for the string grail...infinitely more complex quest!

tenniskid567
07-10-2010, 03:53 PM
I've been thinking about this recently as well, I always feel like there's always something better to offer than what I have. Not that I'm not content with what I've got (Kblade 98), just after demoing so many other sticks and all the reviews and such I've read, I start to feel like something else might suit me better. However, instead of buying and going through a bunch of different racquets, I just mod my blade to try and suit me better, and so far every time I feel like I demo a racket I love, I go back to my blade and realize that like you said, its kind of what I've molded my strokes around.

I do love reading different insights on different racquets though, and playing with different ones to see how much different some really are...

On the other hand, I'm sure there really are plenty of people that even though they've been doing well with the same racquet for a while, feel that there's something else out there with more to offer, and something else that really does suit their game better. As far as the search for the holy grail...its close to impossible to find a racquet that has all the perfect characteristics you want, so you just gotta choose what your priorities are and go from there I guess...

ODYSSEY Mk.4
07-10-2010, 04:01 PM
OP your epic post is spot on but this forum is the house of the hardcore tennis player. In their eyes any improvement is a huge improvement so they will buy into it.

Limpinhitter
07-10-2010, 04:09 PM
I got back in to tennis about a year or so ago after being out for 8 years from an injury. Before coming back, the last racquets I bought were a pair of Slazenger Mystique 95MP's in 1988. (Great sticks BTW). But, I only had 1 left and, there being nothing on the market anything like my Slazenger, and after taking the advice of the pro shop owner, I bought a Dunlop 4D500. Woah! Way too light, balance is too HH, unstable on volleys. Uggh!

So began my adventure to find a "current" stick that I really like. I demo'd about a dozen different sticks over a 3 month period. I learned a lot about racquets I never knew before. I also learned what specs I like which happen to be a compromise between what I really hit well with and what my aging joints can handle. I accidentally stumbled upon the Head YT Speed MP 16x19. After using it 3 times, it felt like I had been using it my whole life. Love it! Search over!

And then I saw that new Donnay thread . . . .

Recon
07-10-2010, 04:14 PM
thank you tenniskid and Odyssey, I realize that my words might not change CHIT! but maybe it will give people a higher perspective when their contemplating on switching to something they know that will only temporarily raise their game. Its all mental friends. Thank you all for posting and sharing your thoughts I appreciate the feedback and your thoughts, I knew I wasn't alone, everytime I read into the racquets forums I feel the same "man...I think that racquet will make my slice really skid!".

I got back in to tennis about a year or so ago after being out for 8 years from an injury. Before coming back, the last racquets I bought were a pair of Slazenger Mystique 95MP's in 1988. (Great sticks BTW). But, I only had 1 left and, there being nothing on the market anything like my Slazenger, and after taking the advice of the pro shop owner, I bought a Dunlop 4D500. Woah! Way too light, balance is too HH, unstable on volleys. Uggh!

So began my adventure to find a "current" stick that I really like. I demo'd about a dozen different sticks over a 3 month period. I learned a lot about racquets I never knew before. I also learned what specs I like which happen to be a compromise between what I really hit well with and what my aging joints can handle. I accidentally stumbled upon the Head YT Speed MP 16x19. After using it 3 times, it felt like I had been using it my whole life. Love it! Search over!

And then I saw that new Donnay thread . . . .

Sorry to hear you ran out of slazengers, thats one of the major companies tactics, discontinue old models so your forced to buy new crap, pretty soon ima be forced to buy blx 90's because I only have 2 k90's...so wilson, if your reading this you win...but not for long! lol.

ayuname
07-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Thanks for putting me down...like an old dog who can't learn anymore new tricks.

LOL.

samster
07-10-2010, 04:18 PM
I found my holy grail. Good luck to those who have not.

Recon
07-10-2010, 04:23 PM

I personally am happy for you. We all want a racquet that makes the best of our strokes. Good luck and I hope you keep winning.

But if you happen to switch racquets, revive this thread, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. If not, keep kicking ***.

Your the one in blue right? -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up7-oVoYUbc

fuzz nation
07-10-2010, 04:41 PM
I don't have spare cash either, so I've picked up a few inexpensive racquets from the classifieds here and had good experiences with the sellers. Traded on a couple of occasions, too and all I had to do for my new racquet (new for me) was pay for postage. That certainly beats inflation.

Instead of looking for one Holy Grail of my own, I've enjoyed having some different frames handy that I love for different situations. I agree that no one racquet does it all, so I've got one that's a ferocious performer for doubles, another that's a more mellow sort of "catch-all" for any setting, and some heavy wrecking balls that are a lot of fun for singles just as long as I'm sharp enough to use them.

If I had to use only one frame for the next several years, I suppose I could figure something out, but I don't have to... HA! I'm also not competing to earn my lunch money, so I don't think my gear options are so unconventional. I'll also note that none of my racquets get themselves out of my bag and go hit the ball on my behalf. I still have to swing them well to produce good shots - just in case anyone was wondering...

My vote: use a racquet or racquets that you like. Try not to let your gear distract you from developing a solid set of skills on the court. If anybody actually finds their personal Grail, um... I guess you'd be smart to stock up!

thejackal
07-10-2010, 04:56 PM
for those of you more familiar with bible stories than I am...

isn't the grail the rattiest little cup of them all? and it's only holy because someone holy drank from it? so maybe the grail is just that, and its the person wielding it which makes it holy...

ndhUW
07-10-2010, 04:58 PM
To the OP,

I understand your frustration with the racquet fetish, in the Marxist sense of fetish of commodity, which is characteristic of the TW board, but it is silly to assume that we all play the same game of tennis.

We "play" tennis differently. For some, such as yourself, playing tennis is the improvement of techniques. The joy of hitting the ball is tennis. For others, the game of tennis has nothing to do with improving one's mechanics. For instance, let's put the TW board members aside for a moment, there are plenty of people who play tennis for status. People pay lots of money to play tennis at a country club when there are many public courts around. In this light, some TW board members play tennis because they like to try out new racquets because each racquet is unique, like a bottle of fine wine.

Last but not least, I suggest you look at the racquet fetish under a different light. I'm sure you're familiar with the saying, "Practice makes perfect," which I think is misleading. It needs a revision, "Perfect makes practice." In a sense, the old saying focuses on the goal of practice, as it ignores the motivation for practice.

Recon
07-10-2010, 05:09 PM
To the OP,

I understand your frustration with the racquet fetish, in the Marxist sense of fetish of commodity, which is characteristic of the TW board, but it is silly to assume that we all play the same game of tennis.

We "play" tennis differently. For some, such as yourself, playing tennis is the improvement of techniques. The joy of hitting the ball is tennis. For others, the game of tennis has nothing to do with improving one's mechanics. For instance, let's put the TW board members aside for a moment, there are plenty of people who play tennis for status. People pay lots of money to play tennis at a country club when there are many public courts around. In this light, some TW board members play tennis because they like to try out new racquets because each racquet is unique, like a bottle of fine wine.

Last but not least, I suggest you look at the racquet fetish under a different light. I'm sure you're familiar with the saying, "Practice makes perfect," which I think is misleading. It needs a revision, "Perfect makes practice." In a sense, the old saying focuses on the goal of practice, as it ignores the motivation for practice.

I'm not angry at anyones racquet fetish, I just simply realized something inside of myself, and brought it to light, seems like other people agree, having the same thoughts. I understand your points as well, and I thank you for your comments, but i'm not angry at anybody, Instead I invited everyone to post, I could careless if people decide to spend their live savings looking for the perfect racquet I just want to see others thought on it. Thank you again.

Lol, now i see how you mistakenly assumed I was angry, The title comes on pretty strong huh?

new_tennis_player
07-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Great post OP, but it's like going to a crack house and saying: "you'll never find the perfect crack pipe." :)

The people posting here are already seriously addicted racquet heads, in much the same way that you have some hardcore twenty somethings who will create 30 page threads on the "perfect" engine detailing polish.

My impression is that most club players care little or not at all about their racquet. With the intermediates I play with, it's IMPOSSIBLE to start up a conversation about equipment. The interest level is ZERO. As it should be. :)

thejuice
07-10-2010, 06:49 PM

isn't the grail the rattiest little cup of them all? and it's only holy because someone holy drank from it? so maybe the grail is just that, and its the person wielding it which makes it holy...

Great analogy!!!

Limpinhitter
07-10-2010, 06:56 PM

That's what they all say. In short time you'll be in withdrawal, tremors, sweaty palms, palpitations, hyperventilating. You'll be back.

dunno
07-10-2010, 07:08 PM
yeah rackets really don't matter that much as a whole, but small differences can lead to preferences. it's mostly up to technique, and mental game in matches.

autumn_leaf
07-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Recon, i didn't read any of your post except for the first sentence. from that i predicted an extremely logical argument put forth to this community. concluding from this train of thought i have decided to forgo the rest of your post because this is no place for logical reasoning.

thank you for your advice, but this thread will soon be forgotten in the numerous "i found my holy grail" or "searching for my holy grail" or "i finally found the one" threads plaguing our community.

i would warn of a conspiracy that racquet companies will band together to delete this thread, but there is no need. this dark secret will be buried by the sole people you are trying to save from a time consuming quest; a quest almost entirely in vain. people will always think there is a panacea, i'm sure most on this section of the board is more than willing, might even beg for a suppository if it would finally end their journey.

roundiesee
07-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Great post OP! Agree with you 100%! But you do realise that there will always be some people who do actually find it fun to experiment with rackets (just like people will change cars and mobile phones every few years even though there really is no need to do so). I suspect that looking for that "holy grail" is but an excuse for them to buy and try out numerous other rackets :)

Recon
07-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Autumn Leaf and roundiesee, GOOD POST ( especially autumn leaf).
Roundiesee because people like you and another poster above I've also opened my train of thought, and some people might just like testing racquets, like they test wine" I thank you posters, I usually refrain myself HEAVILY from posting anything to posters here but I just felt powerful about this. thank you all for posting.

Ross K
07-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Recon,

Please do not feel offended as like I said, I don't know you personally, you sound like a cool homie anyway. i'd like for you to post as well.

No not at all. What you say is true... and how can I be offended when I started a whole thread/club/group (UK Racketaholics) specifically aimed at us racketaholics to, er, get our fix, so to speak! ...

For some of us though (especially those with slightly obsessive-compulsive tendencies :lol: ), certainly me, it isn't entirely about being the playing and being the best I can possibly be... yes, that's a major factor factor, but that isn't the be all and end all... and btw, 2 side-notes: 1) I accepted a while back I won't be winning Wimbledon any time soon. :wink: 2) You read about pros not caring at all and being pretty ignorant about frames etc - in my experience, this is also often the case with advanced level or very good intermediates...

But to get back to the point... for some of us then, many of us, it's a whole added element, an extra dimension, that accompanies the playing..... rather like... to use some terminology of a food and drink connoisseur or a gastronome (ahem )... a full-bodied red wine (say a Rioja) adds to the enjoyment of strong, flavorsome cheese (rather like a Gorgonzola)!... and it's this added element which enriches the whole experience.

And as well as analyzing, debating, searching, testing, playing frames, etc, I also think many of us would make another issue or separate point about buying, selling and trading rackets... again, this is another aspect that many of us are really into and enjoy as something extra to the playing... a hobby, I suppose you'd call it.

Oh, and 1 more thing... as roundiesee points out... yes, it's fun!:)

R.

Keifers
07-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Great post OP! Agree with you 100%! But you do realise that there will always be some people who do actually find it fun to experiment with rackets (just like people will change cars and mobile phones every few years even though there really is no need to do so). I suspect that looking for that "holy grail" is but an excuse for them to buy and try out numerous other rackets :)

For some of us though (especially those with slightly obsessive-compulsive tendencies (lol) ), certainly me, it isn't entirely about being the playing and being the best I can possibly be... yes, that's a major factor factor, but that isn't the be all and end all... and btw, 2 side-notes: 1) I accepted a while back I won't be winning Wimbledon any time soon. (wink) 2) You read about pros not caring at all and being pretty ignorant about frames etc - in my experience, this is also often the case with advanced level or very good intermediates...

But to get back to the point... for some of us then, many of us, it's a whole added element, an extra dimension, that accompanies the playing..... rather like... to use some terminology of a food and drink connoisseur or a gastronome (ahem )... a full-bodied red wine (say a Rioja) adds to the enjoyment of strong, flavorsome cheese (rather like a Gorgonzola)!... and it's this added element which enriches the whole experience.

And as well as analyzing, debating, searching, testing, playing frames, etc, I also think many of us would make another issue or separate point about buying, selling and trading rackets... again, this is another aspect that many of us are really into and enjoy as something extra to the playing... a hobby, I suppose you'd call it.

R.
Well said both.

For me, racquets and strings have proven to be an enduring interest. It's a hobby, mostly healthy, sometimes over-the-top. Why the long time interest? I suspect it's because I love tennis and I love equipment/gear/tools. Part of me suspects that I should be more focused on technique, but then I'd be missing out on so much good, fun stuff!

There is one area in which I've been a model of self-restraint: I've never learned to string and don't own a stringing machine. If I ever did, I would probably not leave my house (except to play tennis) for weeks at a time because I'd be too busy stringing up new strings!

Regarding the Holy Grail quest, I've found one -- every 1 to 2 years. Recently, more than one in a year. Viz., late 2008: AG100, early 2009 KPS 88, mid-2009 POG OS (1 stripe), early 2010: 4D 200 Tour. Does this mean my religiosity is suspect?? ;):)

Recon
07-10-2010, 11:03 PM
Recon,

No not at all. What you say is true... and how can I be offended when I started a whole thread/club/group (UK Racketaholics) specifically aimed at us racketaholics to, er, get our fix, so to speak! ...

For some of us though (especially those with slightly obsessive-compulsive tendencies :lol: ), certainly me, it isn't entirely about being the playing and being the best I can possibly be... yes, that's a major factor factor, but that isn't the be all and end all... and btw, 2 side-notes: 1) I accepted a while back I won't be winning Wimbledon any time soon. :wink: 2) You read about pros not caring at all and being pretty ignorant about frames etc - in my experience, this is also often the case with advanced level or very good intermediates...

R.

Yes as roundiesee and yourself have posted there is a different dimension to look into, and because of you all I've learned something as well, that tennis can be fun in many different ways to people, For me, its performance, the joy of hitting a great connected shot that ends up as a winner, a big ace when down breakpoint...for others its the joy from experiencing different frames, string setsups and a whole bunch of other things that I am not qualified to speak on. Such a great sport really...I really love this sport. -- & you turned out cooler than I thought, one love!

anirut
07-10-2010, 11:06 PM
For me, racquets and strings have proven to be an enduring interest. It's a hobby, mostly healthy, sometimes over-the-top. Why the long time interest? I suspect it's because I love tennis and I love equipment/gear/tools. Part of me suspects that I should be more focused on technique, but then I'd be missing out on so much good, fun stuff!

There is one area in which I've been a model of self-restraint: I've never learned to string and don't own a stringing machine. If I ever did, I would probably not leave my house (except to play tennis) for weeks at a time because I'd be too busy stringing up new strings!

Same here.

My wife used to not like my tennis hobby because of the numerous rackets that's piling up, and counting. But she's gotten used to it. It's better than I go spending in pubs and girls, right? At least I can use the rackets to play and exercise, being in a circle of good friends and decent people. And now she knows that I buy them from a warehouse of used sticks, for cheap, she's happy.

And I now long for a stringing machine ...

Meaghan
07-10-2010, 11:16 PM
I dont think we are looking for our 'holy grail', yes to some degree its a fairly cognitive approach, looking at the pros and cons and moving on, but for me its the excitement of recieving a parcel in the post, christmas as a child, the smell of my plastic football game or the Collins' Bird Encyclopedia. I still yearn for these experiences and they come to me in my adult years in the form of tennis rackets wrapped up in bubbles and brown paper. You are forgetting the scissor cut, the expectancy of a new arrival, the restringing and loving touch ups, the walk to the courts with your babe in arms, the play, the exciement and disappointment, the dreams of another day.

This is not some search for the 'one' this is a lifestyle, a nerdy need within us that strikes at the heart of boredom and mundanity, something the missus just doesnt understand and in that one moment, its worthyness.

My name is Richard Meaghan and I am a Racketaholic.......

Ross K
07-10-2010, 11:27 PM
keifers,

OMG, tell me about it?!... I, too, would be totally done for, a hopeless tennis bum (even more hopeless a 10s bum than I am now! ) if I had a machine!...

Regarding the Holy Grail quest, I've found one -- every 1 to 2 years. Recently, more than one in a year. Viz., late 2008: AG100, early 2009 KPS 88, mid-2009 POG OS (1 stripe), early 2010: 4D 200 Tour. Does this mean my religiosity is suspect??

Love it mate!... very funny... very true... and I was there too a few years ago with the AG100... in fact , you've inspired me K!... watch this space for a new thread... something like: "Holy Grail Quest... How Many Have You Found In Recent Years!?"... :) hope you'll post on it...

BTW... no, your religious zeal as a racketaholic is not in qsn at all... to me it seems you actually have a deeper, keener, indeed more zen-like awareness and understanding altogether... now what is it you like so much with the 4DAG200 Tour hmm? :wink: ...

Recon,

& you turned out cooler than I thought, one love!

Er, you're not female are you?... :lol:

R.

Ross K
07-10-2010, 11:30 PM
I dont think we are looking for our 'holy grail', yes to some degree its a fairly cognitive approach, looking at the pros and cons and moving on, but for me its the excitement of recieving a parcel in the post, christmas as a child, the smell of my plastic football game or the Collins' Bird Encyclopedia. I still yearn for these experiences and they come to me in my adult years in the form of tennis rackets wrapped up in bubbles and brown paper. You are forgetting the scissor cut, the expectancy of a new arrival, the restringing and loving touch ups, the walk to the courts with your babe in arms, the play, the exciement and disappointment, the dreams of another day.

This is not some search for the 'one' this is a lifestyle, a nerdy need within us that strikes at the heart of boredom and mundanity, something the missus just doesnt understand and in that one moment, its worthyness.

Ha, ha... Rich, great post, and that tag on last line left me laughing!...

R.

Mansewerz
07-10-2010, 11:30 PM

But that same rush can come with more of the same frame :D

Mansewerz
07-10-2010, 11:38 PM
I don't have spare cash either, so I've picked up a few inexpensive racquets from the classifieds here and had good experiences with the sellers. Traded on a couple of occasions, too and all I had to do for my new racquet (new for me) was pay for postage. That certainly beats inflation.

Instead of looking for one Holy Grail of my own, I've enjoyed having some different frames handy that I love for different situations. I agree that no one racquet does it all, so I've got one that's a ferocious performer for doubles, another that's a more mellow sort of "catch-all" for any setting, and some heavy wrecking balls that are a lot of fun for singles just as long as I'm sharp enough to use them.

If I had to use only one frame for the next several years, I suppose I could figure something out, but I don't have to... HA! I'm also not competing to earn my lunch money, so I don't think my gear options are so unconventional. I'll also note that none of my racquets get themselves out of my bag and go hit the ball on my behalf. I still have to swing them well to produce good shots - just in case anyone was wondering...

My vote: use a racquet or racquets that you like. Try not to let your gear distract you from developing a solid set of skills on the court. If anybody actually finds their personal Grail, um... I guess you'd be smart to stock up!

Just out of curiosity: What do you use besides the C10 pros and the Pro Staff Classics?

xFullCourtTenniSx
07-11-2010, 01:19 AM
Allow me to share my thoughts on racquet theory and how we will never find that racquet that makes us play like a pro.

Uhhhh... Of course we won't. Playing like a pro depends 100% on skill. Getting the edge over your opponent who's the same level as you however... That can be fixed with a better racket. :P And by same level, I don't mean 3.5 vs 3.5 or 4.0 vs 4.0, I mean you both often find yourselves in tiebreaks and the player who's been luckier on a few points will likely win the whole thing.

Rarely will you find a new racket that even improves a part of your game, so asking for something to improve your entire game is really a stretch. You can however slightly modify what you feel comfortable with to get a little more out of it, while also matching your rackets to that and enjoying the benefits of always having a racket you prefer to hit with.

OldButGame
07-11-2010, 01:33 AM
Same here.

My wife used to not like my tennis hobby because of the numerous rackets that's piling up, and counting. But she's gotten used to it. It's better than I go spending in pubs and girls, right? At least I can use the rackets to play and exercise, being in a circle of good friends and decent people. And now she knows that I buy them from a warehouse of used sticks, for cheap, she's happy.

And I now long for a stringing machine ...
haha Anirut,....exactly my situation,...and me considering a stringing machine as well,.........(only my wifes still not happy,....:()

Marcus
07-11-2010, 01:42 AM
No racket will improve my game as much as losing 20lbs !!!

Dave M
07-11-2010, 02:20 AM
No racket will improve my game as much as losing 20lbs !!!
So true, probably for most of us Marcus!
.....2) You read about pros not caring at all and being pretty ignorant about frames etc - in my experience, this is also often the case with advanced level or very good intermediates...
R.
While i do sort of agree with what you say there R, in that they don't worry about it but the pros as you say depend on knowing what feels ight to them, i'm sure it's true a lot of them do not care what those specs are but they will use/play with what feels right for them.The other plus side is when they look foir a frame the companies come to their court with bags full of racquets, we have to buy them one at a time! :cry:

120mphBodyServe
07-11-2010, 02:57 AM
I totally disagree.
You can find the right racquet for you that'll help you play well if you know what specs you like.
Biggest time wasting wall of text thread ever made.

getsby
07-11-2010, 03:39 AM
I envy those people who start to play tennis with one racket, and continue it to do throughout 10 years. Unfortunately, I not from their number. For 9 years I have bought exactly 20 rackets! Wilson K6.1(18x20) also it is Head MG Extreme Pro-welcome best of them. But it is obvious that I till now in search. Began to be-problem in a head, and е in a racket

AndrewD
07-11-2010, 04:33 AM
isn't the grail the rattiest little cup of them all? and it's only holy because someone holy drank from it?

That's not a 'bible story', it's part of the plot line in 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade'.

Regardless, it's not a bible story at all (initially it wasn't even connected to Christianity) and the grail doesn't have a fixed form. In some stories it's a dish, in others it's a bowl, cup or other object.

Of course, I hardly think anyone needs to apply 'racquet' theory' (whatever that is) to explain why none of us "will never find that racquet that makes us play like a pro". I'd say common sense would provide all the explanation anyone needs.

86golf
07-11-2010, 06:25 AM
My golf clubs are from the 80's and I would never think about changing. I'll just continue to re-grip them and I don't even have interest in any of the "new technology".

Tennis-If grip shapes were interchangeable and grommet systems were interchangeable, it would be much easier to settle on a stick. Note to Prince, you have the basis for a racquet to change string pattern with your EXO3 line, please implement it with the ability to swap pallet shapes. Note to Head, since you have pallets, please offer different grip shapes.

Does my racquet even exist? Radical in a true 98" head size @ 325g with a Prince grip shape.

Rockitdog
07-11-2010, 07:10 AM
The difference is that most sets of golf clubs are can easily cost over $1000 (not to mention green fees)so its much more costly to keep getting new clubs wheres a new racquet only cost about $200 and therefore is cheaper to tryout new racquets.

Most people never even use racquet long enough to find out their true results with them before trying out the next frame that comes along. I'm a guilty as the next guy of this.

GameSetMatch
07-11-2010, 07:16 AM
The biggest mistake alot of people on these boards seem to make is that they keep on trying to find a racquet based on a misconception that its the racquet thats going to make them have great strokes, when the weakness isn't the racquet that they have, but their technique.

As long as people find a racquet within their general spec range, the rest is down to drilling and practice.

OldButGame
07-11-2010, 07:22 AM
I 've said before and i'll say it again, I realize,..as do most 'racquetholics' on here, that continually using different/new racquets doesnt necessaily help or improve my game and may in fact hurt it.

BUT,.I'm into this to have fun. And 'racquet experimenting' is very fun to me. I still have fun on the court mind You. But reading all You guys stuff,...wanting/getting new racquets,.....ordering them, having them show up at the door,...prepping them,....using them on the court, seeing the strong points, and weak points of each,....
Bottom line is i do it to have fum,....not 'seek the single perfect' racquet. I also realize that while one racquet gains 1 virtue,...it will simultaneously give up another virtue. Its all fun to me. And thats what its all about.:)

Limpinhitter
07-11-2010, 08:56 AM
My golf clubs are from the 80's and I would never think about changing. I'll just continue to re-grip them and I don't even have interest in any of the "new technology".

Tennis-If grip shapes were interchangeable and grommet systems were interchangeable, it would be much easier to settle on a stick. Note to Prince, you have the basis for a racquet to change string pattern with your EXO3 line, please implement it with the ability to swap pallet shapes. Note to Head, since you have pallets, please offer different grip shapes.

Does my racquet even exist? Radical in a true 98" head size @ 325g with a Prince grip shape.

GOLF?!?! INTRUDER ALERT!!! SECURITY!!!

JoelDali
07-11-2010, 09:43 AM
I found mine a few years ago.

http://www.thechicagoguys.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/tennis-girl-2.jpg

Chenx15
07-11-2010, 09:49 AM
if i want to play awesome i use my head liquidmetal but i like collecting racquets so my "holy grail racquet" is just for collection.

OldButGame
07-11-2010, 09:50 AM
.....some folks are just very 'gifted' photographers,.....:wink:

Chenx15
07-11-2010, 09:51 AM

wow! can i share with you?

Limpinhitter
07-11-2010, 10:01 AM

I'm guessing they've got "Voit" printed on them!

fuzz nation
07-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Just out of curiosity: What do you use besides the C10 pros and the Pro Staff Classics?

I have two different mids that are a lot of fun these days. One is the LM Prestige, which I customized with enough lead on the handle for 10 or so pts. HL balance. Much more useful for me balanced this way and supreme plow-through at 13.4 oz. The other mid is the mildly more civilized Prince NXG - this one was a big surprise in its stock layout. Plenty of heft and spin for me despite a very dense string pattern (and 13.0 oz. strung).

The mids have a rather high degree of control for me at the baseline, but I can only play well with the Prestiges when I'm good and sharp. The C10's have a lot more control for me than the 6.1 Classics in terms of strokes, but the mids are the frames that give me a distinct capacity to trade bullets with a harder hitter.

One of my hitting pals played a couple years of college tennis and he has a serious skill set at the baseline. The last time we were having a grind, I wasn't playing so great with maybe my C10 or NXG, so I switched to my Prestige and it was a very different story for the rest of the session. I've also knocked him around while using my Prestiges in the past and he encouraged me to keep on using those frames. I'm trying.

Other gear has come and gone or just gotten sidelined in my "collection" for now. Not worried that the PB 10 mid might be my personal Grail, but I'll admit that it will probably be fun to try that racquet in the near future.

jmverdugo
07-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Somehow I have an idea in my head that whenever someone of these holy grail seekers lose a match or play badly, they inmediatelly start to thinking on changing gear. And it is obvious that some of them really do suck at playing tennis :).

fuzz nation
07-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Keifers, anirut, etc.

My experience with stringing has been really positive, both as a racquet nerd and also in being available to the kids I coach. Many of them don't have matched sets or even a decent backup frame, so it's usually easy to restring their favorite racquet overnight. There's also the selfish aspect of stringing for my hitting pals so that they're more available to workout with me!

Despite the variety of strings available out there, I can't say I've been too caught up in all of it. I've tried different stuff here and there, but I really like using a 17 ga. syn. gut in pretty much all of my frames. It's soft enough, nicely "crisp" feeling, gives me good bite and feel, and even if it's less durable than thicker alternatives, I can just restring in my spare time. I just have to find the right tension when I get an unfamiliar racquet to try out.

Can't stand the idea of anyone else stringing my frames! Once dialed in, I know that they'll be exactly the way I want them when I restring and I'm also saving a bundle of money by not paying someone else to string for me. If you string for a few pals here and there, a simple table-top machine will pay for itself in a few years.

Sorry if this isn't a good time to be talking you into getting your own machine!...

Mansewerz
07-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Which syn gut are you using?

Keifers
07-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Keifers, anirut, etc.

My experience with stringing has been really positive, both as a racquet nerd and also in being available to the kids I coach. Many of them don't have matched sets or even a decent backup frame, so it's usually easy to restring their favorite racquet overnight. There's also the selfish aspect of stringing for my hitting pals so that they're more available to workout with me!

Despite the variety of strings available out there, I can't say I've been too caught up in all of it. I've tried different stuff here and there, but I really like using a 17 ga. syn. gut in pretty much all of my frames. It's soft enough, nicely "crisp" feeling, gives me good bite and feel, and even if it's less durable than thicker alternatives, I can just restring in my spare time. I just have to find the right tension when I get an unfamiliar racquet to try out.

Can't stand the idea of anyone else stringing my frames! Once dialed in, I know that they'll be exactly the way I want them when I restring and I'm also saving a bundle of money by not paying someone else to string for me. If you string for a few pals here and there, a simple table-top machine will pay for itself in a few years.

Sorry if this isn't a good time to be talking you into getting your own machine!...
fuzz nation,

Yes, this isn't a good time to be talking me into getting my own machine!

JEEEZZZ!!!

fuzz nation
07-11-2010, 10:55 AM
fuzz nation,

Yes, this isn't a good time to be talking me into getting my own machine!

JEEEZZZ!!!

D'oh!!! Maybe I should delete that post?

Keifers
07-11-2010, 11:06 AM
D'oh!!! Maybe I should delete that post?
It's too late, mate. Your words carrying as much weight as they do with me, I can't erase them from my memory now.

I shall just have to end all the conflict, dissonance and turmoil, and order a stringing machine today!

Thanks a lot, fuzz nation!! JEEEZZZ!!

fuzz nation
07-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Which syn gut are you using?

I live only a few minutes away from a pal who's the top banana of LaserFibre, so he got me my gear and taught me to string. I like using his LaserLite XL, but I've also done fine with Prince's Original Syn. Gut. While the Duraflex line is okay, I actually like the first generation better.

One of these years I suppose I'll grab a crazy cheap reel of Gosen from TW, but I'm in a unique situation with a steady supply of LF right around the way.

The bottom line on any string I choose is that once I put it in a frame and like it, I can always reproduce that exact same setup. Yes, I keep a notebook.

fuzz nation
07-11-2010, 11:07 AM
It's too late, mate. Your words carrying as much weight as they do with me, I can't erase them from my memory now.

I shall just have to end all the conflict, dissonance and turmoil, and order a stringing machine today!

Thanks a lot, fuzz nation!! JEEEZZZ!!

Power to the nerds!

OldButGame
07-11-2010, 04:21 PM
....omg,....NOW 'im thinkin about adding 'string machine',....and rationalizing all the good reasons for buying one,.......wifey's gonna be mad..............("but hon!!!!!!"...."its Fuzz's fault!!!!!!):shock::(

new_tennis_player
07-11-2010, 05:13 PM
The majority of people posting on this forum are middle class or upper middle class, in their thirties or later, and therefore have a good deal of disposable income.

Unlike golf, or even cycling, where entry costs can be exorbitant, the cost of entry into tennis is relatively low.

In cycling for example, the cost for an "entry level" bike can be nearly a thousand dollars. In tennis, well, it's probably $20 bucks and a can of balls. Or nothing at all if you have an older racquet lying around.

So the people posting here can afford to indulge in a lot of racquets.

Heck, I know younger kids who've invested $20K in a modded sports car.

---

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but hobbyists spend a lot of money on their toys.

OldButGame
07-11-2010, 05:37 PM
The majority of people posting on this forum are middle class or upper middle class, in their thirties or later, and therefore have a good deal of disposable income.

Unlike golf, or even cycling, where entry costs can be exorbitant, the cost of entry into tennis is relatively low.

In cycling for example, the cost for an "entry level" bike can be nearly a thousand dollars. In tennis, well, it's probably $20 bucks and a can of balls. Or nothing at all if you have an older racquet lying around.

So the people posting here can afford to indulge in a lot of racquets.

Heck, I know younger kids who've invested $20K in a modded sports car.

---

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but hobbyists spend a lot of money on their toys.
See,...I think theres some wise insight here,...i mean,...for most people....if we won the lottery or something,.....would we not buy more than 1 car???...perhaps induge in a few different vehicles for different moods or moments????....im betting we would,....but since vehicles are a stretch,....economically,....but racquets are not,......we enjoy the indulgence they bring.....thats me anyway...:-|

tailofdog
07-11-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm not angry at anyones racquet fetish, I just simply realized something inside of myself, and brought it to light, seems like other people agree, having the same thoughts. I understand your points as well, and I thank you for your comments, but i'm not angry at anybody, Instead I invited everyone to post, I could careless if people decide to spend their live savings looking for the perfect racquet I just want to see others thought on it. Thank you again.

Lol, now i see how you mistakenly assumed I was angry, The title comes on pretty strong huh?

I have heard it said that, the only thing a dog wants more than his food is what is in another dogs bowl. I think this could apply to people and racquets!

Keifers
07-11-2010, 08:28 PM

Very well said. :)

keifers,

OMG, tell me about it?!... I, too, would be totally done for, a hopeless tennis bum (even more hopeless a 10s bum than I am now! ) if I had a machine!...

Love it mate!... very funny... very true... and I was there too a few years ago with the AG100... in fact , you've inspired me K!... watch this space for a new thread... something like: "Holy Grail Quest... How Many Have You Found In Recent Years!?"... :) hope you'll post on it...

BTW... no, your religious zeal as a racketaholic is not in qsn at all... to me it seems you actually have a deeper, keener, indeed more zen-like awareness and understanding altogether... now what is it you like so much with the 4DAG200 Tour hmm? (wink) ...

R.
Ross,

We have to help each other be strong about stringing machines. We have to...

Yes, of course, I'll post in that thread.

I can tell you about the 4D 200 Tour, but do you really want me to?? ;):)

Meaghan
07-12-2010, 12:54 AM
^^^^

I have dived head first into the land that is the stringing machine and its a world of dinosaurs and spaceships.

In adult tems its just great stuff playing around with strings and clamps, tensions and tie offs. Easy to do, best done watching sport wit a glass or two of red.

Last night was a joy, watching the World Cup final, bottle of Rioja and strung two rackets for a tournament stating today.