PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a racquet

T1000
07-11-2010, 12:05 PM
So I'm 6'1" 145 lbs and I'm already lifting and eating so please no bulk up advice, I'm already on that.

I 'm about a 4.0, maybe a 3.5 not sure. I'm ranked in the top 55 in New England for U18 singles. I have a big serve and forehand and like to volley.

I listed the racquets I'm thinking of in the poll so any advice is appreciated. Thanks guys

Falloutjr
07-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Sounds like the PDR is your stick of choice. Lots of power and great for serving.

Dreamcastin
07-11-2010, 12:27 PM
i know its not in your list, but you should try the pure storm limited gt. from your list though, id choose the pdr gt.

pheonix6579
07-11-2010, 12:33 PM
I think overall the PDR is your best bet. Was gonna go with the + version, however the standard is easier to volley with. Another that you might want to try is the Radical Pro. IMO it plays very similar to the PDR, but is more comfortable and easier with touch. Just would add some lead or silicone to the handle to make it 5-6 pts. head light.

Parker512
07-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Try the drive z light great babolat raquet.

T1000
07-11-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm already a really good volleyer, I would say it's my best skill with serving as a close second. I can volley with virtually any stick, but is it really that much harder to volley with an extended stick? and if anyone can do a quick comparassion between the pdr and pdr+ that'd be awesome.

pheonix6579
07-11-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm already a really good volleyer, I would say it's my best skill with serving as a close second. I can volley with virtually any stick, but is it really that much harder to volley with an extended stick? and if anyone can do a quick comparassion between the pdr and pdr+ that'd be awesome.

I can do that for ya since I play with both:). Is is a huge difference when it comes to the volley with the plus version, no. Is there a noticeable difference in maneuverability, yes, but a big enough difference to make a game changing adjustment.

It is the same thing with the serve. Does the plus version give you extra pop on serve vs. the standard, yes. Enough to discount the standard as a mere pistol to the cannon power of the plus, no.

In my case, I use the standard for doubles when the volley and maneuverability are in high demand. Then I use the plus in singles when that extra pop on serve is more desired. Does it take any extra time to get used to each stick, no, but i like the extra each stick brings to my game when I need it.

Agent Orynge
07-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Why hasn't anyone asked the TC what he likes and doesn't like about his current frame?

T1000
07-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Why hasn't anyone asked the TC what he likes and doesn't like about his current frame?

Basically my YTPP feels a little flimsy under heavy and hard shots and I don't have the power to put away shots easily against open and top u18 players. I can easily put balls away against lower kids but right now it's too difficult to play my attacking style when I don't have the pop to back it up. And I have tried different strings/tensions and it didn't help. Lead didn't help either since I don't like the feel. The Pure Drives look a little lighter and definitely have more pop/stability which is why I was thinking of those.

Agent Orynge
07-11-2010, 08:51 PM
I would avoid switching to something radically different. If power is your only concern, you should stay within the Head family but seek something stiffer or heavier. Don't be turned off by the latter just because you've already tryed lead tape; lead tape can change the way a racquet feels, but a frame that comes heavier in stock trim will play more naturally. That being said, I would think about giving the YT Speed Pro a real good look, followed not-so-closely by the Extreme Pro that you're already considering.

Why do you have a picture of the T800 series as your avatar if your name is T1000?

T1000
07-11-2010, 09:13 PM
I'll look into those. I was considering the speed pro but was looking to stay a little under 12 oz.

And you're the first person to notice that since I put it up two years ago. Any way the only pics of the t1000 I could find are when he is the cop or when it is all silver, like the silver surfer. The t800 looks more badass with the exoskeleton. And t1000 sounds better so I figured I would do this.

pheonix6579
07-11-2010, 09:16 PM
its actually a T1000 just with a T800 PJ :)

Agent Orynge
07-11-2010, 09:35 PM
its actually a T1000 just with a T800 PJ :)

Quote of the week.

kiteboard
07-11-2010, 09:46 PM

It is harder, esp. against good opp. who hit hard with lots of spin. Babs are not good for volleys. Heads are better, due to flexier nature, less tinny feel, but depends on what you string it with for sure. The tinny nature badly effects volleys, and cuts off connection with the bed too soon, due to stiffer frames, less dwell time, more power, etc.

skyzoo
07-12-2010, 05:50 AM
Bulk up my friend.

getsby
07-12-2010, 07:00 AM
Extreme Pro-good choice