View Full Version : Please Help: O3 Red vs. LM Radical OS

IceT
05-22-2005, 05:40 PM
LM Radical:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCHEAD-LMRAD.html
O3 Red:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPRINCE-PO3R.html

I need help deciding between these two sticks, and I have some questions:

- Which one is more manuverable? The radical SW is 330, the O3 is 314. Does this mean the radical is more sluggish/slower to swing?

- Which one is safer for elbow/shoulder?
The O3 seems to be a lot stiffer, but people say it's very comfy.

- Which one has the bigger sweetspot?

- How much is the difference in the power level?
The O3 is supposed to be a lot more powerful ("medium" vs. "low" for the Radical), but TW's reviews for both rackets on the power category is 79 and 77, which does not seem like a lot of difference.

- Which would you recommend for a growing 3.0 player who's only been playing for 6 months? Which one would you choose for yourself?

Thanks much!!

Indiantwist
05-22-2005, 06:25 PM
I was a fan of O3 Red. LMRAD is also good. But here is my suggestion.
User Babolat Pure drive Team PLUS. I found that it matches O3 red in all PLUS BETTER.
That can be your racquet until you move into 5.0.

twocents
05-23-2005, 06:00 AM
My twocents:
I play mostly 4.0 doubles. I like the O3 red better because it' more manuverable than the LM, a lot lighter, and very comfortable. I can create a lot more spin off it. You have to supply the power with both O3 and LM but the O3 is a lot lighter.
The Pure Drive Plus is a beast. You'll be able to hit some huge shots but control might be a problem since it's so powerful. YOu have to keep the strings tight or you will be hitting the back wall.
I would recommend the 03 for a 3.0.

Indiantwist
05-23-2005, 12:07 PM
Twocents...iam glad you mentioned it.
what about Pure Drive (instead of PLUS).
When i played with Pure Drive + i felt the same but i thought my technique is bad.
Is Pure Drive better than Pure Drive PLUS?

twocents
05-23-2005, 12:26 PM
The Pure Drive is almost as powerful as the Plus but I think more manuverable. It's a little easier to control.
It too is a lot more powerful the O3 Red and a lot of other rackets.
If you are going to base your game on huge serves I would go with them but contolling them is always an issue for a lot of people. They have to be strung tight becaue they are very string sensitive depending what you string them with. It depends how hard you hit the ball and how much top spin you are capable of hitting in order not to hit the back wall. You must have good technique. I could hit monster serves with them but the rest of my game went down hill A lot of people use them with lead tape for better control.
If you have only been playing for six months you want to be able to control the ball as much as possible. At most levels the trick is just keeping the ball in play rather than hitting winners 2 out of 10 times.

IceT
05-24-2005, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the inputs. I think I'm going to go with the O3 Red, although it's much more expensive and I don't really care for the looks.

Any ideas what kind of string will be best for it?

twocents
05-25-2005, 04:03 AM
I agree it's way too expensive. I was able to get a slightly used one for $124 so I couldn't resist. I have it strung with Prince Premier. YOU can use the 16g (16g. will last longer). Mine is strung at 63 lbs.
YOu might justify the expense this way: I know after I bought a Pure Drive and couldn't control it I had to go through the hassle of reselling it (losing money on it) and buying a different one anyway. So why not pay the extra $50 to $60? Good luck I hope it works out.
TWOCENTS

IceT
05-25-2005, 10:39 PM
Thanks, twocents. I hope this will be *the* racket I can stick with until I'm 4.0 or more (if ever!). I'll let you know how it goes.

The O3 red I bought was already strung with Wilson Hyperlast 19. If it doesn't feel good, I plan to string it with Hurricane 18 and PSGD 17 hybrid. If that doesn't work either, I'll try the Prince Premiere.