PDA

View Full Version : WHEN TO STEP ON A GROUNDSTROKE????/

Printer099
02-23-2004, 02:34 PM
I mostly use a square stance on my forehand and step into the ball as opposed to an open stance. Recently I noticed that when I hit a groundstoke I tend to step a couple second before swinging. Should I be stepping into my ground stoke preceisely the moment I decide to swing? Is stepping and planting before I bring my swing through the zone making me lose the transfer of my weight from the back foot?

excelcier
03-28-2007, 04:21 PM
bringn back old unanswered threads since '95

beernutz
03-28-2007, 05:14 PM
Adding excelcier to my ignore list since '07.

Bagumbawalla
03-28-2007, 07:00 PM
One reason that it is difficult to teach humanoid robots to walk gracefully is the very nature of bipedal locomotion.

4-leged animals are always more or less in balance. But with jst two legs- while moving we are in an almost constant state of unbalance, almost balance, unbalance again. That is the basic concept of judo, for example (but that's another story).

OK, in an ordinary step there is a point where, if you did not automatically/unconsciously shift to regain your ballance-- you would tip right over. That point of maximun energy excahnge is the point you are looking for in tennis- a point where you are committed to the foreward momentum and before the correcting action to reballance.

B

Spindarella
03-29-2007, 07:41 PM
One reason that it is difficult to teach humanoid robots to walk gracefully is the very nature of bipedal locomotion.

4-leged animals are always more or less in balance. But with jst two legs- while moving we are in an almost constant state of unbalance, almost balance, unbalance again. That is the basic concept of judo, for example (but that's another story).

OK, in an ordinary step there is a point where, if you did not automatically/unconsciously shift to regain your ballance-- you would tip right over. That point of maximun energy excahnge is the point you are looking for in tennis- a point where you are committed to the foreward momentum and before the correcting action to reballance.

B

The fact that you made a reference to the difficulties of teaching humanoid robots how to walk with grace pretty much makes you my hero. Thank you.