PDA

View Full Version : Blackburne Racquet

10usstring
04-17-2004, 12:01 PM
Does anyone have any information on the Blackburne double strung racquets. Do they play as advertised? How tough are they to restring? ect.

joe sch
04-17-2004, 01:44 PM
I would Not want to string one of those rackets and would surely charge much more than 2x the normal stringing cost. I have never know a good player that uses that racket but its great for displaying as a collectible :wink:

Brent Pederson
04-17-2004, 04:19 PM
I tried it for a few days several years ago.

The good new:

The technology actually works -- putting the two sets of strings, each right near the edge of the frame creates essentially a "frameless" feeling frame, almost like playing with a ping-pong paddle. If you're an extreme spinmeister, or really have trouble finding the sweetspot, this could be a big advantage.

The downside:

The swingweight is waaay up there. If I recall, it's pretty much the highest swingweight racket sold, close to 400. And, of course, stringing it should be a real picnic, I'm sure... :lol:

PHSTennis
04-17-2004, 08:54 PM
How would you weave it? I've also seen it, do people use it for matches or is it for practice? I never seen people use it though, where to demo them? Looks crazy, I used to hit off center using OS, now im using a MP, strokes are getting a lot better! :)

Steve Huff
04-18-2004, 09:23 AM
I have one of the oversized models. I don't use it, but I have taken it out to hit, just for the fun of it. It has a soft feeling. I suppose that with the grommets sticking out at a little of an angle away from the frame, they absorb some of the force from the ball impact. And, it hit fine if you like tht soft feel. It had plenty of power, fairly good control for an oversize. It is a bear to string. You mount it in your machine, string the bottom plane as you normally would. Then, you string the top plane using flying clamps. Also, not much room for weaving. You almost have to weave under and over, then pull, one cross string at a time because you can't use a hand underneath for regular weaving.