PDA

View Full Version : Playing to LOSE

MoDaisy
07-12-2010, 03:30 AM
I am interested in the opinions of others on this topic - I live in Atlanta and play in a Mixed Doubles League. This league is a community based social league but of course it is competitive.

The captain of my current team has decided that since she "does not want to win our division and face being moved up to a higher level" she is going to "play to lose". For the last 2 weeks she has played very weak line ups in an attempt to move us from 1st place to below 3rd.

I am very upset about that. This is just a weekend community based league and NO ONE is getting paid to win but there is just something wrong with playing to lose - It isnt fair to our team (she hasnt asked the entire team their desires) and it isnt fair to the other teams in our division.

Thoughts?

ProgressoR
07-12-2010, 03:36 AM
wow, this is laughable, sure its social but you still try to win right, why try to lose? its a disgrace. If you win and are good enough to be promoted and play better teams, then that is where you belong and should enjoy those matches.

raiden031
07-12-2010, 04:00 AM
What a lame-O captain. Look at the bright side though, at least she's not asking her players to tank matches for this cause.

CrispyFritters
07-12-2010, 03:48 PM
That's pretty lame. It's especially disrespectful to the other teams that are practicing to get better. They want to face good opponents - not walk over wins.

bcart1991
07-14-2010, 04:35 AM
Sadly, egos often win over logic. I see it all the time around Atlanta, both in ALTA and USTA.

mucat
07-14-2010, 01:00 PM
If I am playing to lose, I am winning all the time.

Wait...this doesn't make sense...