PDA

View Full Version : "Permission" problem with laptop

Magix
07-12-2010, 04:24 AM
My laptop was working fine the other day, but when I went to use it yesterday--to go on the 'net--I got this little box telling me I don't have the appropriate permissions. In fact, I pretty much can't do anything on it. Almost nothing will open (although I did manage to access the internet through the start menu).

This is the message that appears when I try to open something.
Windows cannot access the specific device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

How can I fix this problem?

FlamEnemY
07-12-2010, 04:43 AM
You can check the current user profile's type - control panel -> user accounts. If something has gone wrong and your account isn't the administrator any more, then you can change it.

That's the first thing that popped up in my head, I'll try to think of other causes for this problem :)

Magix
07-14-2010, 07:32 PM
You can check the current user profile's type - control panel -> user accounts. If something has gone wrong and your account isn't the administrator any more, then you can change it.

That's the first thing that popped up in my head, I'll try to think of other causes for this problem :)
I checked it out, and I am the administrator, apparently.

I don't suppose changing it to another account would solve the problem, would it (most probably not...)?

Boy, I wish I knew a thing or two about computers. :oops:

SuperFly
07-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Boot into safe mode (hit F8 when your computer company's logo shows) and do a virus scan.