PDA

View Full Version : TT Warrior Mp vs. OS

tim8
05-22-2005, 06:59 PM
I have read one this board, especially from glasm's thread about custimization that the TT warrior os, when modified can be a great racket. The problem is that I already have a TT warrior mp. I have read that the midplus doesn't play as well. I don't really want to get a new racket, so my question is: When custimized is the TT warrior mp still a decent stick? Is it worth me custimizing?

monologuist
05-22-2005, 09:18 PM
its a matter of preference...I personally like the OS better, b/c it feels a little less stiff to me, has a litte more pop, serves a little bigger, and it is a little better from the baseline...but the MP has a little more control and is probably a little more maenuverable at the net...if you already have it, it is surely worth a little experimenting with ....I'm sure if you leaded it up a little, say , to about 12 oz., and 8-10 pts. headlight, it woud be pretty sweet. I'd say the MP would end up being a better Serve and Volley frame, while the OS is a better baseliner frame.

fishuuuuu
05-22-2005, 09:23 PM
I'd stick with the MP and modify it.

The OS to me seems too powerful and uncontrollable. When I want to push or bash I can be fine but there is no hope for me to create any substantial damage because of the lack of options I have when I have to try and limit my power!

OS with BB ALU Rough at 63

tim8
05-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Does anyone else have input on the two? Also the warrior right now is 5 points headlight. I was planning on adding two 6 inch pieces of tape to the frame and 2 6 inch pieces in the handle (what glasm did). Should I instead make it a little more headlight? If I wanted to make it 8 or 9 points headlight what would I change?

monologuist
05-23-2005, 08:55 PM
if I were you I'd try 3 grams of lead at 3 and 9 o'clock , and about 9 grams of lead in the handle to start out with...and see how that treats you....you probably don't want to add weight above 3 and 9, as that racquet alrady has the "Triple THreat" weighting at 10 and 2...you'll lose too much maneuverability.

POGO
05-23-2005, 09:11 PM
I would go with monologuist with this one.

I prefer the OS over the MP. The OS plays just like the MP, but a tad more flex and larger sweet spot. It is not too powerful as one poster claim. The OS is very much a control racket for an OS.

Read the TW's review on the Warrior, and they also found the OS to be a great racket.

monologuist
05-23-2005, 09:27 PM
yes..the OS is not "too powerful" unless you don't know how to control your groundstrokes with topspin...you can generate a load of spin with it, so you can control the depth of you shots with good mechanics.

tim8
05-24-2005, 05:41 PM
Okay so I modded my warriors today with 12 grams (6 grams 9 and 3, 6 grams in the handle.) I went out and hit for about 30 minutes with my sister to try it out. To be truthful I didn't a great first impression. I think it might somewhat be the strings. I recently played with a liquidmetal prestige and loved the feel it gave. The warrior I have is strung at ashway 16 at 60 lbs. When I went out to play it felt very muted. I wasn't getting much feel (i was using a vibration dampner and i think that might of affected it a little.) I was able to hitting many shots right on my oppent's baseline, but only if I had perfect set-up. My other shots went long or hit before the t-line. I was wondering if anyone could recommend another string or tension. I hit mainly with topspin and am using the warrior midplus.

monologuist
05-24-2005, 07:48 PM
you added 12 grams to the hoop total?! that's a lot for your first level mod. definitely gonna make it feel more dampened, too powerful, harder to spin (less headspeed), etc. I really think you should try 3 grams on each side of the hoop first...it will make a big difference already....you should increase the lead incrementally to let your muscles adjust over time....12 grams is a pretty huge jump. THe strings may need changing, but if they are dead or too powerful, you would have noticed this before adding the lead.

as I mentioned before, I would highly recommend 6 grams TOTAL (3 grams each at 3 and 9) in the hoop, and then 6 in the handle to maintain the same balance , so you get a fair comparison....then maybe add some more to the handle to get it to 8-10 pts. headlight and I think you'll be in business.

tim8
05-25-2005, 04:28 AM
you added 12 grams to the hoop total?! that's a lot for your first level mod. definitely gonna make it feel more dampened, too powerful, harder to spin (less headspeed), etc. I really think you should try 3 grams on each side of the hoop first...it will make a big difference already....you should increase the lead incrementally to let your muscles adjust over time....12 grams is a pretty huge jump. THe strings may need changing, but if they are dead or too powerful, you would have noticed this before adding the lead.

as I mentioned before, I would highly recommend 6 grams TOTAL (3 grams each at 3 and 9) in the hoop, and then 6 in the handle to maintain the same balance , so you get a fair comparison....then maybe add some more to the handle to get it to 8-10 pts. headlight and I think you'll be in business.

Thats actually what I did. I added 6 grams TOTAL to 9 and 3 (3 grams each.) How much more should I add to the handle to make it more headlight? 3 grams?

monologuist
05-25-2005, 07:56 AM
oh....well...try another 4 grams or so in the handle....by the way, it is best to put the weight in the area directly beneath where you hold the handle, not on the buttcap or above...as doing so will minimize the increase in swingweight, since the weight will be at the "axis of rotation"....do you know how to measure the balance? You just need to blanace the racquet on the edge of a table, butt end hanging over, and measure the distance from the buttcap to the edge of the table when it is balanced. Then subtract that amount from 13.5 (which is "even balance point" of a 27" racquet)....each 1/8" that it is off of 13.5 is "1 point"

anyway, point is, adding lead takes a while to adjust to usually...but if it seems too powerful now, you may want to remove a couple grams from the hoop...of course, it may be that the Warrior is simply too powerful with added lead for your strokes...