PDA

View Full Version : Bab Pure Drive + Roddick cracking problem?

luedog7
07-12-2010, 09:51 AM
I am a 5.0 level player and switched to this racket last year. Since then, I have had 3 of these rackets crack in the throat area right above the dampening system. Had two crack in the semi-finals of tournament, and one just recently on a racket that was one month old. Has this been on a problem on the racket? Is it generally a weak racket?

azn_lefty_roddick_jr
07-12-2010, 11:02 AM
When you say dampening system, do you mean above the Cortex, on the shaft? Some pictures of the three racquets should help.

Are you using the older PDR+ which introduced Cortex, or the newer PDRGT+? I've got both, and no problems on my end with cracks like that... Though my PDR+ has a crack on it at 8 o' clock, but that was because somebody strung it with a one-piece job, against my recommendations.

luedog7
07-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Yes, all the cracks have been above the cortex system in the throat. The racket is the new version that started, I believe, at the end of last year.
Unfortunately, I sent two off to Babolat already and the last happened last week and is in my locker. I will bring home tonite and take a photo.
Very frustrating and expensive. I had five and I am down to two. Gonna haved to buy another till babolat makes a decision on the previous ones. I string my own so I know its not that. I string with the two piece method also and use luxilon in the mains and Babolat VS gut in the crosses.

BobFL
07-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Yes, all the cracks have been above the cortex system in the throat. The racket is the new version that started, I believe, at the end of last year.
Unfortunately, I sent two off to Babolat already and the last happened last week and is in my locker. I will bring home tonite and take a photo.
Very frustrating and expensive. I had five and I am down to two. Gonna haved to buy another till babolat makes a decision on the previous ones. I string my own so I know its not that. I string with the two piece method also and use luxilon in the mains and Babolat VS gut in the crosses.

Sorry to hear that! Are your racquets customized with lead tape and/or silicone?

Bob

luedog7
07-13-2010, 04:56 AM
No Bob, haven't felt the need to dabble with the grip or head weight.
Honestly dont know what it is. I am fairly rough on rackets when it comes to digging balls and I do play on mainly hard courts.
I hit the ball somewhat hard but nothing too extreme to make me think it was that!

Tar Heel Tennis
07-13-2010, 08:56 AM
i play with the pdr+c (predominantly black paint job). i have 4 frames, and none of them have any cracks. my frames range in age from 3 yrs to several months new.

it sounds like you play with the pdr+gt version

BobFL
07-13-2010, 09:12 AM
No Bob, haven't felt the need to dabble with the grip or head weight.
Honestly dont know what it is. I am fairly rough on rackets when it comes to digging balls and I do play on mainly hard courts.
I hit the ball somewhat hard but nothing too extreme to make me think it was that!

My friend cracked 7 PDs but they were customized. Stress pattern changes considerably when you customize them and 1 inch above cortex becomes weakest part of the frame.

Hard hitting cannot be the reason for cracking. I mean, that is simply unacceptable. Needless to say, Babolat refused to replace the frames. AFAIK, when it comes to warranty issues Babolat is by far the worst company in the industry to deal with.

luedog7
07-13-2010, 11:11 AM
My friend cracked 7 PDs but they were customized. Stress pattern changes considerably when you customize them and 1 inch above cortex becomes weakest part of the frame.

Hard hitting cannot be the reason for cracking. I mean, that is simply unacceptable. Needless to say, Babolat refused to replace the frames. AFAIK, when it comes to warranty issues Babolat is by far the worst company in the industry to deal with.

No bueno! $189 every two months is getting difficult to swallow. Can understand if I was throwing temper tantrums, like my junior days, and smashing rackets, but hard play shouldnt cause racket cracking after two months. Keeping my fingers crossed on returns from Babolat!

BobFL
07-13-2010, 11:26 AM
No bueno! $189 every two months is getting difficult to swallow. Can understand if I was throwing temper tantrums, like my junior days, and smashing rackets, but hard play shouldnt cause racket cracking after two months. Keeping my fingers crossed on returns from Babolat!

Good luck man! Btw, my friend is the calmest person I have ever met in my life...

luedog7
07-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Getting it back to the beginning, any comments?

luedog7
07-19-2010, 04:49 AM
AFAIK, when it comes to warranty issues Babolat is by far the worst company in the industry to deal with.

FYI, Just received back the first two returned Babolats in the mail this weekend. They said they would not cover them under warranty. One I can maybe understand, but the second had alittle court rash at the 3 and 9 postitions on head, and the crack was in the throat right above the cortex.
I sent back my third, if this is returned, I am switching to the Prince Black. They hit remarkably similar and our club is sponsored by Prince.

Bartelby
07-19-2010, 05:30 AM
Babolat does not just have quality control issues; it makes racquets that can't even make the fitness for purpose test under common law.