PDA

View Full Version : Adding lead/weight to the handle?

BC1
07-12-2010, 11:42 AM
I would like to add some lead tape at the 10 and 2 positions, and want to counter that with weight on the handle to keep the same balance.

Is there a good way to add lead/weight to the handle without removing the buttcap or orignal grip? Will it work to wrap strips of lead tape around the top of the grip (approx. 5-6" inches from the bottom) and then apply an overgrip? or would this be too far up from the bottom to properly work as a counter-balance?

MomentumGT
07-12-2010, 11:47 AM
I like to add my lead just above the butt cap on the handle. I've seen guys put the strips over the original grip and wrap an overgrip over everything.

-Jon

cellofaan
07-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Adding it further from the buttcap will work, you'll just need to add more lead to get the right balance.

GoaLaSSo
07-12-2010, 04:48 PM
i wrap the overgrip over the lead and it works perfectly fine

Say Chi Sin Lo
07-12-2010, 04:58 PM
I like to add my lead just above the butt cap on the handle. I've seen guys put the strips over the original grip and wrap an overgrip over everything.

-Jon

That's what I did.

TennisCJC
07-12-2010, 08:02 PM
I am paranoid. I remove the replacement grip. Put the lead tape directly on the grip mold, put babolat racket head tape over the lead tape, put on a new replacement grip, and then my normal overgrip. Lead is toxic and I suggests putting it under the original (replacement grip) with tape on top to insulate it from bleeding into you hand. No problems with build up as I use thin replacement grips.

TennisCJC
07-12-2010, 08:04 PM
If you have a Wilson racket with a trap door butt cap, you can remove the door, and put lead tape or fishing weights inside of the frame underneath the butt cap door, and then replace the door. A small screw driver will pop off the butt cap and it pops back into place.

cellofaan
07-13-2010, 12:10 AM
I am paranoid. I remove the replacement grip. Put the lead tape directly on the grip mold, put babolat racket head tape over the lead tape, put on a new replacement grip, and then my normal overgrip. Lead is toxic and I suggests putting it under the original (replacement grip) with tape on top to insulate it from bleeding into you hand. No problems with build up as I use thin replacement grips.
Lead is only toxic if you eat or inhale it regularly.
Drinking diet coke does a lot more harm than touching lead.

BC1
07-13-2010, 06:55 AM
If you have a Wilson racket with a trap door butt cap, you can remove the door, and put lead tape or fishing weights inside of the frame underneath the butt cap door, and then replace the door. A small screw driver will pop off the butt cap and it pops back into place.

Great to know! I had no idea a "trap door" existed. being new to this, I was afraid of removing the butt cap and having to staple it back, etc. and messing it all up. That's why I was asking about applying it to the grip. Do all new Wilson's have the "trap door"? I have a blx 6.1 (team) I'm looking at the butt cap now and there is a tiny slot at the bottom below the "BLX". I'm assuming this would be it!? Thanks!!

And thanks for all of the great suggestions. It looks like I have plenty of options on how to do it.

BC1
07-13-2010, 07:25 AM
I just tried it (the Trap Door). Snaps right off and on. What a great feature! The only problem is there is basically no room inside the handle to add anything. The handle is filled with what looks like a dense foam or something. I might be able to add a quarter or a nickle (flat), but that's about it. I guess lead tape would work as well if I layer it and laying in in there flat. Anyone have any idea how many grams a quarter or nickle are?

BC1
07-13-2010, 08:02 AM
Update... I was able to add a nickle and a dime, taped together, under the trap door of the butt cap, for a total of 7.5 grams. Just what I wanted. Easy and Quick. Thanks again.

mike53
07-13-2010, 08:04 AM
I just tried it (the Trap Door). Snaps right off and on. What a great feature! The only problem is there is basically no room inside the handle to add anything. The handle is filled with what looks like a dense foam or something. I might be able to add a quarter or a nickle (flat), but that's about it. I guess lead tape would work as well if I layer it and laying in in there flat. Anyone have any idea how many grams a quarter or nickle are?

Dig out some of the foam so you have more room. Put in fishing weights, money, washers, lead tape or whatever. Squirt in some clear silicone sealant to hold everything in place. Pop the cap back on.

I mark my balance point with blue painters tape. After I add lead tape to the hoop, it add increments of weight to the handle until I get back to the same balance point. Silicone added to the handle takes about 5 minutes to dry. You can embed small fishing weights (shot) while the the sealant is drying. Measure, add, measure, add, ... till you get the balance point you want.

BC1
07-13-2010, 08:09 AM
Dig out some of the foam so you have more room. Put in fishing weights, money, washers, lead tape or whatever. Squirt in some clear silicone sealant to hold everything in place. Pop the cap back on.

I mark my balance point with blue painters tape. After I add lead tape to the hoop, it add increments of weight to the handle until I get back to the same balance point. Silicone added to the handle takes about 5 minutes to dry. You can embed small fishing weights (shot) while the the sealant is drying. Measure, add, measure, add, ... till you get the balance point you want.

I know the answer is on this site somewhere, but what is the easiest way to check the balance point.

Never mind (about the balance point). I found it and figured it out. Now let the fun and experimenting begin - This "customization" thing is fun.

BC1
07-13-2010, 10:21 AM
I can see how this can become as addicting as choosing a racquet! With the added weight in the handle, overgrip, strings, and rubber band dampner - the racquet is 11.03 ounces and around 7 pts HL. I want to try to add a total of 6grams of lead tape to the head to bring the weight to around 11.06 ounces, and about 5 pts HL. Now I need to figure out how this affects the SW.

This may be a stupid question, but can you go to far with adding weight and altering the balance specs of a raquet? I'm not talking about a person's ability to handle and play with the racquet, but the actual racquet itself. By altering the racquet specs, can the racquet loose some of it's performance potential. Or, is there a "Max" when it comes to customizing a frame?

cellofaan
07-13-2010, 11:01 AM
I can see how this can become as addicting as choosing a racquet! With the added weight in the handle, overgrip, strings, and rubber band dampner - the racquet is 11.03 ounces and around 7 pts HL. I want to try to add a total of 6grams of lead tape to the head to bring the weight to around 11.06 ounces, and about 5 pts HL. Now I need to figure out how this affects the SW.

This may be a stupid question, but can you go to far with adding weight and altering the balance specs of a raquet? I'm not talking about a person's ability to handle and play with the racquet, but the actual racquet itself. By altering the racquet specs, can the racquet loose some of it's performance potential. Or, is there a "Max" when it comes to customizing a frame?
I think you'll enjoy this
http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/customizationReverse.php
You can enter the starting specs, how much lead you add, and where, and it will give you the new specs.

In general, there is no limit as to how much lead you can add. Racquets are plenty strong. Unless you put on extreme amounts of lead, as in kilograms, the racquet might break or deform because of the weight. But within the reasonable amounts, only your own abilities will limit the performance.

Happy customizing!

BC1
07-13-2010, 12:48 PM
I think you'll enjoy this
http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/customizationReverse.php
You can enter the starting specs, how much lead you add, and where, and it will give you the new specs.

Happy customizing!

Great Stuff - thank you TW and thank you cellofaan for pointing it out.

anirut
07-13-2010, 07:02 PM

No, it's not a stupid question. You can have a lot of fun (and frustrations!) modding your racket(s). The fun's not only about balance, it's about EVERTHING you can think of. Well, except racket's material flex.

See my signature for what I did. I've done some grip reshaping, some heavy mods that changed my racket balance from spec'd 5 pts HL to something like 13 pts too.