PDA

View Full Version : New Racquet Help.

FattyCakes
07-12-2010, 12:22 PM
I've been using an Babolat Aero Storm Tour Cortex and I recently decided to sell them and pursue a new racquet (I didn't like the balance and heaviness of the racquet). With that in mind, I was wondering how difficult it is to adjust to a + racquet? I'm not that great of a player, it's more for recreational. I was thinking of buying the APDGT or PDRGT. I had those two racquets in mind because I began playing with an oversized Pure Drive Roddick and that wasn't too bad. So I assumed that the GT version would be a good choice. And I heard that the Aeropro Drive GT is a lighter and head light version of the Aero Storm. I would consider myself as more of a flat hitter and I do two hand backhands. Any help would be appreciated.

Meriko
07-13-2010, 07:34 AM
In terms of weight, the PDRGT+ would be heavier than the APDGT+, but because they're both plus length, swingweights gonna be high no matter what. If you say you're mainly a flat hitter, you'd probably be much better off trying out the Babolat Pure Storm GT +. The 18x20 string pattern is better for flat hitting, and if i remember correctly, it's quite light too.

FattyCakes
07-13-2010, 08:26 PM
I wish I had the option to demo the Pure Storm GT +. Do you by any chance know if I should try to switch to plus sized racquets or just stick to standard ones? Maybe I'll try to scrummage for 20 bucks and try demoing 4 racquets from TW. Which racquets would you recommend? And as you can tell, I'm a Babolat user.

FattyCakes
07-13-2010, 08:27 PM
Oh. And I used my brother in law's APDC+ once, but it was just for a few serves. It doesn't seem too much different. But will it affect my fh and thbh's much?

Meriko
07-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Plus length racquets in general give you more leverage on serve and overall more power, but sacrifice whippy-ness. whether that's what your looking for or not, i don't know. Because you like flat hitting, racquets with 18x20 string patterns are probably your best bet. Since you don't seem to like heavy feeling racquets, I'd avoid plus length just because the swingweight is much higher and since you've rarely used them, you're probably more used to normal length. As for recomendations, Pure Storm GT, Head Radical MP (Youtek, Microgel, doesn't really matter), or if you willing to experiment with lead tape, I can personally say the Wilson Tour BLX is an awesome racquet in stock form, but the low weight and even balance open the doors to do pretty much anything you want with it.

FattyCakes
07-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Since you recommend the Pure Storm GT, I was wondering what's the different between that and the Pure Storm Ltd. GT? And would you recommend the Ltd because it has a 18x20 set up rather than a 16x20.

Meriko
07-15-2010, 07:53 AM
The Pure Storm Ltd. has a 95 sq. inch head size as opposed to the 98 of the regular Pure Storm, as well as the Ltd. being much more flexible and weighing 0.9oz more. 18x20 and 16x20 aren't too different, 16x20 will give you a little more spin potential, which even for a flat hitter is still a good thing for slices, serves, etc. Overall, I'd still recommend the Pure Storm GT (or the past generation, the plain Pure Storm, if you could still find it).

hrstrat57
07-15-2010, 07:59 AM
Agree for this player I like the recco of Radical MP by Meriko.....and experiment with lead at 3/6 and leather grip or matching weight in the handle.

The 18x20 should fit nicely and the Rads at L4 have plenty of pop.

Take advantage of the TW demo program of course.....there are plenty of sticks that will be a good fit, the Radical tho seems certain to satisfy...or a Prestige MP 18x20 if the player has a big swing might make a smile come out too....try em both.

FattyCakes
07-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Although the idea of a head radical seems interesting, I'm most likely going to stick to using babolats. I've always been a babolat user and probably will stay this way. I guess I'm just going to try demoing an APDGT and a PSGT from tennis warehouse.