PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Pro Staff Classic 6.1

hisrob777
07-12-2010, 04:33 PM
I have recently purchased two Wilson PS Classics separately. One of the frames has Pro Staff written in a thinner font and the other in a more bold font. The racket with the bolder font seems considerably heavier or more hefty if you will than the other. I almost always go for the seemingly lighter frame when I play. Other than the bolder font racket having lead in the handle could this be a factory deal? Are all the thinner font frames lighter? I will take them to the local pro shop and get specs as soon as I can. Good day.

fuzz nation
07-13-2010, 08:02 AM
As far as I know, there were more than just one or two batches of that racquet turned out over the several years that it was around. There were definitely mild yet noticeable variations in their weights.

I still have a few of those frames and the ones that I use are those with the "typewriter" printing and white buttcaps. My oddball has the labeling with the more squared (not quite Star Trek) style of font, which I believe is older than the others.

I just checked my frames and the one with the thicker font actually is slightly less head-light than the others. Since I have three others that work fine for me, I haven't tried to tune this one to my playing preferences, but I think it would be easy enough to put some lead tape under the grip to get it dialed in. I've tried that with a couple of other frames and it's worked fine for me.

TheRed
07-13-2010, 08:11 AM
there were numerous "versions" of this racquet, starting from the shiny coating to the matte paint job. Generally, the later ones there lighter, mostly more headlight. The fonts changed a bit as well. This racquet really evolved before it was finally discontinued.

big bang
07-13-2010, 02:34 PM
I posted A LOT of info on all editions of PSC, if you Search my name you will find everything you might want to know about this frame.

hisrob777
07-13-2010, 06:38 PM
I love the one I have with the thinner font. Its more head light. Best racket I've ever hit with. I've hit with many late model frames and this one is perfect for me.

fuzz nation
07-14-2010, 06:16 AM
Many 6.1 lovers 'round here seem to share the opinion that Wilson has never topped that particular generation of that frame. I suppose there's something to be said when you label your racquet "Classic" while you're still producing it, right?