PDA

View Full Version : lead couterweight at the handle?

Jessica
07-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Is it always beneficial to add the same amount of lead to the handle like you did to the frame? Why? I added some lead to the frame, and that didn't affect the balance that much.

Also, if I do add lead at the handle, where is a good place to add it? My racket has foam in the buttcap. Even if it does have space, I find it hard to keep the lead from rattling inside. Am I suppose to put it beneath the grip?

Agent Orynge
07-12-2010, 07:35 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/customize.html

Keifers
07-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Rather than removing the butt cap and putting lead weights inside the handle, I prefer to place lead tape underneath the grip. (Remove the grip, apply the tape and re-wrap the grip.)

I've found it best to place the lead tape directly underneath where my hand grips the racquet. This has always felt the most natural to me -- I don't feel I've messed with the way the racquet swings in any way.

anirut
07-12-2010, 09:40 PM
I agree with Keifer's method of wrapping the lead tape.

But, to find the "right" place where to place the tape, and the right amount of weight, I use the "rubber thingy" -- that rubber thing that holds the top of grip -- distribute them and play test.

Each of this rubber thingy weights 2 +/- 0.1 grams. I use a number of them and distribute them along the handle length to find where I should put the lead. You can do this during play to find your preferred lead amount and where to place them once you're done testing.

For most stock HL rackets, most of the times you will need just 2-4 grams placed at the right spots to make a ton of difference.

Enjoy!

Povl Carstensen
07-13-2010, 08:16 AM
As a starting point I place the lead along the main pallet in its full length, down around the butt and up along the other pallet to the top of the grip (under the replacement grip). If I want a more polarized feel I can stop before the top of the handle, or add ekstra tape at the end of the butt. But thats just my way...

ManuGinobili
07-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Is it always beneficial to add the same amount of lead to the handle like you did to the frame? Why? I added some lead to the frame, and that didn't affect the balance that much.

Just wanna make it clear that you do not add the same amount to the handle as to the frame... you add it so that you get a desired balance

A popular "fast food" method is lead to 3 & 9 o'clock on the hoop, and at 7 inches above the buttcap. IMO you should take the time to experiment like how Arinut said.