PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. George Steinbrenner

Rockitdog
07-13-2010, 06:24 AM
The great George Steinbrenner has passed away this morning. Love him or hate him- there is no denying the impact he had on the game of baseball.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5375561

maverick66
07-13-2010, 06:48 AM
You can thank him for modern day free agency and overspending. Before him the contracts where not so crazy. If your a player in the league you love the guy. If your a fan of a small market team you hated the guy.

ollinger
07-13-2010, 06:54 AM
You can thank Curt Flood for modern free agency. George had more chips to play the game with because he was in New York, but the system would have happened with or without him. His legacy of 7 championships in nearly 40 years was actually below par compared with the team's prior 70 or so years. Yankee fans can be grateful that he always did what he could to put a contender on the field.

AV1
07-13-2010, 07:19 AM
Yankee fans can be grateful that he always did what he could to put a contender on the field.

I totally agree.
I'm not a Yankess fan but always wished the owner of my team would do whatever it took to put the best players on the field.

RIP

RD 7
07-13-2010, 10:28 AM
george was a function of his natural market advantage. big market teams have access to higher revenue and can buy more talent. He did what any owner should do. He played by the rules and exploited advantages that other teams did not have.

Yankees $206,333,389
Pirates: 34,933,000
Arod: 33,000,000

(As a Red Sox fan, I don't mind the fact that outcomes are decided long before spring training. I want my team to win. I want October baseball. The rest you may ignore)

quest01
07-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Steinbrenner was the best owner ever, he will be missed for what he did for the game, he truly is the boss. I've always been a Yankees fan since I was born and he did a lot to improve the team. If it wasn't for steinbrenner who knows how many championships the Yankees would have won.

pc1
07-13-2010, 01:43 PM
George Steinbrenner certainly was an interesting owner. Unlike a lot of owners he put his money back into his team and of course he wanted a World Champion every year.

It was some trio in the late 1970's with Steinbrenner, Reggie Jackson and Billy Martin. They argue, some of them fought and they won in dramatic fashion.

NickC
07-13-2010, 01:59 PM
You can thank him for modern day free agency and overspending. Before him the contracts where not so crazy. If your a player in the league you love the guy. If your a fan of a small market team you hated the guy.

I'm a Mets fan, and I hated Stienbrenner (and his team) with a passion. The dislike of the Evil Empire doesn't just reach small market teams, it reaches the rest of the world.

West Coast Ace
07-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Steinbrenner was the best owner ever,...Jerry Buss is laughing. 11 titles and counting. I'm no Laker fan but he does it right. He stays out of the limelight - and never dates a girl over 24. My hero.

You can thank him for modern day free agency and overspending. Before him the contracts where not so crazy. If your a player in the league you love the guy. If your a fan of a small market team you hated the guy.I'm with you. He so overpaid it *******ed the system. Three words: Glen Allen Hill.

SuperFly
07-13-2010, 04:57 PM
The Onion does it right. http://www.theonion.com/articles/george-steinbrenner-dead-after-firing-underperform,17710/

FLA10s
07-13-2010, 05:13 PM
The yankees are cheaters.

The only reason they have ever been good is because they can just buy the best players in baseball, they need a salary cap in baseball its a joke.

The rays will deliver a beat down of epic proportions on the yankees come playoffs, joe madden is the best manager in baseball with the best hitting and pitching as well.

Anyway RIP george steinbrenner.:(

Fearsome Forehand
07-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Steinbrenner didn't invent free agency in MLB. Curt Flood's successful challenge to the Reserve Clause (in response to his trade from the Cardinals to the Phillies) and Marvin Miller's finagling of the system is what opened the free agency door in baseball and other sports. That and myriad player strikes or the threat of strikes. Free agency has sort of ruined MLB IMHO but it a great deal for .220 hitters or 9.87 ERA pitchers who make millions for really mediocre levels of play. At least in pro tennis there is a pay for performance aspect. I guess the ATP is a union of sorts but only the top guys make big bucks. Outside of the top 50, I don't see how most of the guys even earn enough to cover their expenses.

Steinbrenner simply exploited a system where he had more dollars to spend than virtually any other owner. He liked the limelight and never shied from it. Good for his business, I suppose.

The really amazing thing is that CBS sold the Yankees in 1973 for 8.8 million dollars (less than CBS bought them for in the 1960's). Even generously adjusted for inflation that was an incredibly bad, shortsighted deal for CBS as the Yanks are worth well in excess of a billion dollars now.

George had been sick for quite some time so at least the ultimate end was fast.

His first act upstairs was to rehire Billy Martin.:)

Dedans Penthouse
07-15-2010, 10:57 AM
The yankees are cheaters.
Emotional. Flawed.

The rays will deliver a beat down of epic proportions on the yankees come playoffs
Emotional. Speculating declaratively is by its very nature, flawed.

joe madden is the best manager in baseball with the best hitting and pitching as well.
Ok, so lemme get this straight: Rays have the "best hitting" and "best pitching" and yet are NOT in 1st place and are games BEHIND the Yankees in the AL East standings? Well how does that make Joe "Drew Carey Glasses" Madden the "best manager" then? Flawed.

Anyway RIP george steinbrenner.
Now that was nice. Nicely done. props.

West Coast Ace: Congrats on your Lakers win....loved the RIOTING by the way. I guess the lesson to be learned here is that championships serve as a good excuse for Laker fans to act like, well, Laker fans. ...oh and btw, whatever point your were trying to make with your Glen Allen Hill reference W.C.ace, you fell woefully short in that regard--very flawed. Feel free to discuss that one. (traded two 'nothing' pitchers for Hill .... next year got 'nothing' pitchers for Hill; essentially a 'wash' .... oh, but Hill himself did get a World Series ring while with the Pinstripes....oh and was quietly advised afterwards after hitting his 1st homer as a Yankee: "don't 'style' at the plate standing there and showing up the opposing pitcher...that ain't the Yankee way"...(that crap went out with Reggie Jackson)... Today? LA? 2 words: Manny Ramierz (the *****hole's *****hole).

*at the subsequent L.A. (small potatos) 'parade' rally*
"Let's all join Ron Artest--kids and parents alike--as he leads the crowd in a classy, 'winner's' chant of: "BOSTON SUCKS!...BOSTON SUCKS!...BOSTON SUCKS!"

City of Hate: LAKER LOSERS = in full 'destruction' mode

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/lakerfan(1).jpg

http://www.foxnews.com/images/539215/7_22_c450.jpg

City of Love: YANKEE WINNERS = in 'love' mode
Beauty in all different shapes, colors and sizes, but all about LOVE.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/11/07/alg_parade_cameras.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2mEOemJmE7E/SvJ7vHIY29I/AAAAAAAAAYg/_JwxNrno0cw/s400/1996Yankeesparade.jpg

Night and Day.

on-topic: George, you were a horse's *** at times (particularly in the 'early' years), but you always gave your fans something to talk about, even during the boring, dark days of winter. Oh and btw, nice job with restoring the 'frieze' atop the new 'big ballpark in da Bronx'....Earl Combs (looking in from 'center' would've approved. R.I.P.

p.s. thanks for hosting the Whitney M. Young Black College Football Classic: got to see many great games (and great halftime shows) that other "venues" wouldn't touch. ....'n give my best to the Mick.

FLA10s
07-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Now that was nice. Nicely done. props.

Yeah well i hate the yanks but im not a monster, still gotta respect the guy.

r2473
07-15-2010, 11:26 AM
R.I.P. George Steinbrenner

That is a cruel thing to wish for Steinbrenner.

R.I.C (Rest in Controversy).

r2473
07-15-2010, 11:29 AM
The movie finally ended (and it wasn't as funny as the original):

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XFWmNyyPSTQ/S8XlhT8cRGI/AAAAAAAABSc/ZuTxyL02U-Q/s1600/george-steinbrenner-yankee-stadium.jpg

Dedans Penthouse
07-15-2010, 11:36 AM
^^^^^^^
Exactly, and how can I get mad at the "Rays?" They're one of the young, exciting teams in baseball.....oh and btw, we're licking our chops and coming after (soon-to-be-a-free-agent) Carl Crawford come this winter!!!!

Or do you wanna trade him straight up for Brett Gardner? .... LMAO!!!!

:razz:---"yeah, I guess we DO $uck afterall!"

"we hate the Yankees!" .... until:
* Yanks roll into town....suddenly 40,000 at the ballpark....place 'buzzin' ...... Yanks leave ..... 20,000 less in the stands .. 'buzz gone' *

they spend money to make money....and after making money, they don't pocket it, they throw it back into "the product"...additionally, they pay oodles and oodles (millions) in luxury tax payments o/b/o small-market teams. In restoring the legendary "brand name" of the Bronx Bombers, do remember that day games in the middle of the week all draw sellouts: there are always a slew of tourist that'll want to go see Yankee Stadium and the Yankees, much like Wrigley or Fenway and to a lesser extent, Chavez Ravine ('cept that some tourists are probably wary of running into those "riotously" not-so-funny L.A. Laker fans....smile...

Blame Marvin Miller if you wanna go there. As it is, I can't see the players union "giving back" and accepting a salary cap along the lines of the NFL UNLESS the fans put an end to it (and they can): boycotting. Ultimately this is all about entertainment and when the fans get together and decide that they're not coming to the party, THEN and only THEN, will sanity prevail.

Look no further than the Lebron James fiasco (and ESPN's sleezy involvement) to see just how skewered $ports has become in this day and age. At the same time, the owners "back then" held all the cards....and they flat-out exploited the game when it was tilted in their favor.

Today, they still 'manipulate' the system....they only do it from different ends of the spectrum: big-market ability to spend vs. small-market with luxury tax funding.