PDA

View Full Version : SPOILER: World Series of Poker

ollinger
07-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Defending champ Cada busted out on the third day of the Main Event, no cashes in the 16 tournaments he's entered at the Series. Tough to stay on top against thousands of opponents. Another amateur this year??

ollinger
07-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Ooops, thought I was in Odds and Ends. Move this, please.

diggler
07-13-2010, 04:45 PM
Nobody repeats. It is not like in Doyle Brunson's day when there were 20 entrants. There is too much luck in poker for the good player to always come out on top.

r2473
07-13-2010, 05:24 PM
This damn WSOP has ruined card playing for me. I used to play a lot of poker in high school. We played a lot of different games. These days the only game anyone will play is Texas Hold em'.

Does anyone play poker with buddies? Do you play anything besides "hold em"? I havn't played for years because I hate the damn game. It is so f-ing boring.

How about other card games (Euchre, 500, pinochle, cribbage, hearts, spades, bridge, anything)?

I don't think people play cards anymore do they (except maybe on the computer or something).

fundrazer
07-13-2010, 07:30 PM
I think all of the november nine from last year are out. The main event is just way too high variance. Got lots of fish who sometimes suckout and plenty of big name pros. Anyways, the money should be reached tonight, 4 players left to knock out. Some big names are still left, Patrik Antonius (amazing), Sammy Farha, Phil Galfond, Johnny F'n Chan. Should be interesting.

r2473, I think people like nlh because it's on tv. People just watching an episodes on Espn learn to play and think they can win the big bucks. It's probably the only form of poker people today know. I occasionally like to play omaha to mix things up, not as popular as holdem though. Maybe give it a try sometime.

ollinger
07-13-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm actuallly surprised to hear people play Texas hold 'em at home.....it's just not a very good home game as it leads too many people to fold right away. Not much fun, too much watching. My home game, now in its 26th year with mostly the same players, mostly features a few variants of Omaha, a game that keeps more players in, a few variants of 5 or 7 card stud, and a few oddball games.

jamesblakefan#1
07-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Nothing against poker - I actually like playing it and dream of one day having enough money to waste on being a high stakes poker player - but I just wish ESPN would stop broadcasting it as if it were a real 'sport'. That is all.

r2473
07-13-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm actuallly surprised to hear people play Texas hold 'em at home.....it's just not a very good home game as it leads too many people to fold right away. Not much fun, too much watching. My home game, now in its 26th year with mostly the same players, mostly features a few variants of Omaha, a game that keeps more players in, a few variants of 5 or 7 card stud, and a few oddball games.

Do you need an extra man?

This is the type of stuff we played as well. We played the "classics" (stud and draw) and lots of variants on these themes. We also had our own "oddball" games as you call them.

A buddy of mine had a poker night last Friday. My wife was out for dinner with her girlfriend, so it was a perfect night for some cards. But he told me the only game that we would play would be hold em'. I "might" be fine playing this sometimes, but there would need to be a lot of money at the table to make it work. Otherwise bluffing has no real meaning or consequence. But the stakes were going to be small so it was just going to be flipping cards and whoever happened to get the best cards was going to win. Really boring.

I can recall in high school we had pots with $500 plus dollars cash. One of our rules was no IOU's accepted. Everyone had to bring check books and / or ATM's to cover losses. There were exceptions made for large (unexpected) losses, but these had to be paid before you were allowed to play again. It was a good group of guys and we all respected the rules.

Personally, I like games like euchre, 500, hearts, etc. better. I never did learn how to play bridge. I always wanted to. I don't know anyone that plays cards anymore. I don't think anyone my age or younger ever learned how to play. I could play all these games before I was in kindergarten. All my brothers did. My youngest brother (who is now 28..) I can recall playing euchre at some of my older brothers high school parties (my older brother is 41). And yes, if you do the math, that would have made my younger brother 5 when my older brother was 18. I remember how astounded his friends were. At 5 years of age, my brother really understood the game, knew how to bid, knew what to play and when to play it. He knew when to throw the cards in and simply award the points. He knew what had been played and what player was holding what. In fact, he was better than many of my brother's 18 year old friends. But like I said, we all learned how to play all the card games at a young age. I can remember sitting in with my dad's friends when I was no older than 8 and doing just fine.

dParis
07-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Does anyone play poker with buddies? Do you play anything besides "hold em"? I havn't played for years because I hate the damn game. It is so f-ing boring.

How about other card games (Euchre, 500, pinochle, cribbage, hearts, spades, bridge, anything)?

I could play 4-person spades every day, for years. I love it. 10 cents a point to 500.

Someone among my group of friends is hosting a hold 'em game practically every Friday night. Always with the premium chips and sometimes with a fancy blind clock/timer, progressive pots, bounty chips and even a poster above the table showing blind progressions and other info. :-?

Then there is "Old School" who gets together a couple of times a year and it's everything but Texas Hold 'em. Stud, draw, Black Mariah, basketball, baseball, night baseball, guts and others - usually wrapping up with a marathon sheets session and a crescendo of shouting, swearing, crying and laughing.

jamesblakefan#1
07-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Used to play spades a lot in high school. Still play Hold Em once in a blue moon. But for us college kids, the card game of choice tends to be Kings.

r2473
07-14-2010, 08:30 AM
I tend to play Scrabble more often than anything else these days. Still probably my favorite game......at least when you play with people that can manage more than 3-letter words.

dParis
07-14-2010, 09:04 AM
I tend to play Scrabble more often than anything else these days. Still probably my favorite game......at least when you play with people that can manage more than 3-letter words.
It's why I no do it now...

r2473
07-14-2010, 09:16 AM
It's why I no do it now...

Not bad :smile: