PDA

View Full Version : New racket help

kenny22
07-13-2010, 09:20 AM
I have a Birthday comming up and parents offer to buy me new racket as i cracked my first racket i got at big 5 a few months ago. And been looking around for awhile now and need some opions on these rackets as i wont be able to demo for some time.

I'am a 3.5 player been playing for about 4 months i play 4-5 times a week plus team practice i'am 16 6'0 203lbs play for my highschool and tournaments in my city so i need a racket that will grow with me. very aggresive baseliner i like to hit big forehand and fast serve, and i like to hit with a moderate topsin angle to open the court. so any personal experience and knowledge you can offer would be great.

if i had to list the shots as my best to worst it goes like this but i'am not terrible just things towards the bottum still need work.

Return's
Serving
Forehand
Bachand slice
2 Handed Backhand
Volleying

ejewels
07-13-2010, 09:21 AM
3.5 after only 4 months? You sure about that? If so, I would do what most people EVERYWHERE are doing. Buying Rafas racquet. No seriously, its a good stick.

kenny22
07-13-2010, 09:24 AM
3.5 after only 4 months? You sure about that? If so, I would do what most people EVERYWHERE are doing. Buying Rafas racquet. No seriously, its a good stick.

yes postive i'am a 3.5 i have played sports all my life and came into tennis and played almost everday for the 4 months really worked at it to get to where i'am and looking to go higher.

ejewels
07-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Ok, it took me 3 years to get there but I only was playing on and off for about one time a week, so i guess that could happen. I'm about a 3.5 - 4.0 and LOVE the new YT Prestige MP. go for it!

Slazenger07
07-13-2010, 10:37 AM
That's some fast progress...congrats! I dont like any of the racquets in the poll though so I didnt vote on one. Id prefer Head over Wilson but I probably wouldnt use either brand.

kenny22
07-13-2010, 10:45 AM
That's some fast progress...congrats! I dont like any of the racquets in the poll though so I didnt vote on one. Id prefer Head over Wilson but I probably wouldnt use either brand.

thx yea my recent racket that broke was a head and if theres another racket not on the poll feel free to suggest it if you think it fits my game lol should have put others spot on poll.

kenny22
07-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Ok, it took me 3 years to get there but I only was playing on and off for about one time a week, so i guess that could happen. I'm about a 3.5 - 4.0 and LOVE the new YT Prestige MP. go for it!

yea i just really adapted to the game fast. thx yea i been hearing tons of good things about the head YT prestige mp.

kenny22
07-13-2010, 05:53 PM
so looks like the speed might be a top contender so far not by much i really want everyone to vote even if u dont like any of them just pick the one as if these were ur only options or suggestion one thats not up there thanks.

nvottennis
07-13-2010, 06:09 PM
I have a Birthday comming up and parents offer to buy me new racket as i cracked my first racket i got at big 5 a few months ago. And been looking around for awhile now and need some opions on these rackets as i wont be able to demo for some time.

I'am a 3.5 player been playing for about 4 months i play 4-5 times a week plus team practice i'am 16 6'0 203lbs play for my highschool and tournaments in my city so i need a racket that will grow with me. very aggresive baseliner i like to hit big forehand and fast serve, and i like to hit with a moderate topsin angle to open the court. so any personal experience and knowledge you can offer would be great.

if i had to list the shots as my best to worst it goes like this but i'am not terrible just things towards the bottum still need work.

Return's
Serving
Forehand
Bachand slice
2 Handed Backhand
Volleying

Your a 3.5 within 4 months? wow, you must be amazing or dedicated. It took me 2 years to get there with weekly practices...

nvottennis
07-13-2010, 06:12 PM
anyways, to answer your question, I use the youtek mp and its amazing. Im also a baseline player but i have to change since im doing varsity doubles only now. Its a great racquet that has above average spin. I wouldnt say its the best spin but its good enough for me. Of course it also depends on strings. I'd prob demo them all out though if I were you..

ManuGinobili
07-13-2010, 06:37 PM
For singles play and as a 3.5, I actually prefer the Dunlop AG500 Tour over everything in that poll at the moment (I have tried or owned all of those except for the BLX95). It's a power stick in the Pure Drive mold with a good amount of control. Excellent for spin shots and bomb serves.

However, to be democratic, you should take advantage of the demo program at Tennis Warehouse and try different rackets out. I see the ones you've listed are all brand new rackets, but you don't really have to go that route since they're packed with "new racket premium". The older models on sale include some grrreat rackets too, and u can save ur parents some money while at it.

kenny22
07-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Your a 3.5 within 4 months? wow, you must be amazing or dedicated. It took me 2 years to get there with weekly practices...

yes for the first 3 months i was playing 5 times a week 4-5 hours a day with a mix of leveled players i played in cold extreme wind even when it was sprinkling went out worked on serve i just really fell in love with tennis it became my life and still is.

Rockitdog
07-14-2010, 08:29 AM
I would reccomend the KBlade 98. Its a decent base racquet (despite being a Wilson racquet) that looks like its got enough room to customize so you can tinker with it and see what set-ups you like. There's not a lot of room to customize the Wilson 6.1s (tour and regular) and even the the prestige IMO. You can always lead up the KBlade to any of those racquets weights but you can take weight away if you feel like those are too heavy. Just my two cents.

kenny22
07-14-2010, 11:08 AM
I would reccomend the KBlade 98. Its a decent base racquet (despite being a Wilson racquet) that looks like its got enough room to customize so you can tinker with it and see what set-ups you like. There's not a lot of room to customize the Wilson 6.1s (tour and regular) and even the the prestige IMO. You can always lead up the KBlade to any of those racquets weights but you can take weight away if you feel like those are too heavy. Just my two cents.

thx yea i heard the k blade is best for customizing.

MethodTennis
07-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Not the blx tour thats all I have to say I voted K blade but as long as u dont get that blx tour youll be fine

kenny22
07-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Not the blx tour thats all I have to say I voted K blade but as long as u dont get that blx tour youll be fine

yea if it did come down to a blx wilson i was lean to more the 95 over the tour but still wanted to know abit more about the blx tour as it has great reviews and i havent had experience with it.

kenny22
07-14-2010, 11:08 PM
hey thx to everyone voting and messages i over the last few days out hitting with teamates of mine were all saying good things about the Volkl Power Bridge 10 Mid. so if anyone has any info on this and do u think it fits my game feel free to share and also if you dont like any of the choices plz suggest your own dont half to explain why just like to know others suggestions if none above you think would grow with my gamne.

stufflebean
07-15-2010, 07:33 AM
I've demoed the last three, and for an up and coming player, I think the Speed MP is the way to go. I found good control with both the Speed and the KBlade, but the Speed has a bit more heft, which should hold up better against stronger players. I would caution you about the weight, though. I noticed more arm fatigue after multiple days in a row with the Speed, since it's noticeably heavier than the KBlade.

Edit: Oh, because it can't be said enough: demo, demo, demo.

kenny22
07-15-2010, 09:10 AM
I've demoed the last three, and for an up and coming player, I think the Speed MP is the way to go. I found good control with both the Speed and the KBlade, but the Speed has a bit more heft, which should hold up better against stronger players. I would caution you about the weight, though. I noticed more arm fatigue after multiple days in a row with the Speed, since it's noticeably heavier than the KBlade.

Edit: Oh, because it can't be said enough: demo, demo, demo.

thx i been using my older brother's spare babolat pure drive roddick gt + so i'am use to a heavier racket cause it was pretty heavy but got use to it by strengthening my arm.

kenny22
07-15-2010, 01:39 PM
it looks like the voting is leaning towards the speed mp been looking at specs and feedback from people and not much bad about it at all wish TW did a review on the 16x19 and the 18x20 speed mp's.

kenny22
07-16-2010, 09:25 AM

Return's
Serving
Forehand
Bachand slice
1 Handed Backhand
Volleying

i have made the switch to a 1 handed backand a been hearing wilson is better for 1 handed backhand is that true.

Slazenger07
07-16-2010, 09:56 AM
thx yea my recent racket that broke was a head and if theres another racket not on the poll feel free to suggest it if you think it fits my game lol should have put others spot on poll.

My stick probably wouldnt be a good fit. It's pretty demanding and made for all court/S&V players.

That being said Ive been a big fan of Slazenger for many years so they might have something else you would like. I think they make excellent racquets.

Perhaps the NX line or the Quad Flex line?

Ive personally only used the Trinity Pro Braided racquet and the Pro X-1 from Slazenger, and loved both. Who knows maybe you wouldnt find it too demanding, its definitely the type of racquet that if youre not hitting the sweet spot, youre gonna shank and lose some control, but when you hit that sweet spot, it's soooo very sweet.

Slazenger07
07-16-2010, 10:01 AM
i have made the switch to a 1 handed backand a been hearing wilson is better for 1 handed backhand is that true.

Really the brand of racquet is irrelevant in this case. However head size is something you should consider.

Since you have decided to play the one-handed backhand (good choice btw ;)

you'll probably want something with a smaller head size like in the 90-98 sq. in range.

My racquet is 95 sq. in and I find it very comfortable with the 1hbh.

Ive personally found the 1hbh with larger heads to be uncomfortable/a bit awkward feeling.

kenny22
07-16-2010, 04:37 PM
so i got a chance today to hit with a visitors blx tour didnt care for it i really narrowed it down to both heads i have heard alot and the most the post point towards the speed but also here the prestige mp has more control so it would seem this is what there best at in oder from best to last. now i could be wrong so plz see my first post and add your opion which would be best for me in your opion and your experience with both or one of these.

Prestige mp = control,power,spin

Speed mp 16x19=power,spin,control

kenny22
07-17-2010, 05:42 AM
And to note i wont be able to customizing the racket for awhile so out of these one that is a solid stick in its stock form would be nice.

ynnek20
07-17-2010, 11:20 AM
I believe the speed mp is best for your game all your other choices lack easy spin potential except k blade but still i think the speed is superior in spin and you also get controlled power which seems to be what you need as we have similar playstyle.

kenny22
07-18-2010, 12:01 PM
I believe the speed mp is best for your game all your other choices lack easy spin potential except k blade but still i think the speed is superior in spin and you also get controlled power which seems to be what you need as we have similar playstyle.

thx the voting seems to go that way i thought alot would suggest the prestige over the speed but guess thats not the case.