PDA

View Full Version : New memebr - Assistance with choosing my next racquet

nicholasellisson
05-23-2005, 02:52 AM
Hello. I just registered.
My game is varied and I am a regular club player. I currently play with:
1.babolat control zylon
2.head titanium radical
I feel I have good speed on the serve but not enough from the baseline. I have, however, very good control! What would be you advice and top-3 raquet suggestions without too much sacrifice on control....
Best,
Nick

BLiND
05-23-2005, 04:52 AM
We need more information about your game to recommend a stick... those two you play with aer perfectly good racquets... so you'd have to want something... more power?... less power?... more control?... you like spin, or flat shots?... you break strings a lot?... you like very heavey raquets?... you like to S&V?

nicholasellisson
05-24-2005, 02:28 AM
Thank's for the tip.
OK- I play from the baseline mainly and love rallies.
I am not a fan of S&V. I adore hitting flat and search for the line at each shot. I prefer racquets weighing close to the ones i have now. I have never broken a string. I play with Luxilon Big Banger Ace (18) and go for the low end as far as tension is concerned.

My problems is that, although, my racquets are good, I would like more power (and more control) if that's possible. I find myself hitting down the line but my opponents always make it there quick enough to 'save' the shot - then i go to the net to finish the point off, but i would like to be able to hit faster balls.

Can HEAD LM racquets be an answer? I never tried one.
Other suggestions?

Many thanks for your advice.

AndrewD
05-24-2005, 05:20 AM
You could try the Head LM Instinct. It seems to be quite a popular racquet with baseline players and does offer a bit more power but still manages to be controllable power.
I use the LM Prestige mid but I wouldnt recommend that if you're looking for more power and I wouldn't recommend the mp version either. The LM Radical has quite a few fans although I didn't like the feel of that model. It did seem to have more power than the Ti or i series Radicals so could be worth a test.

nicholasellisson
05-24-2005, 05:56 AM
Thank you!
I am confused because while reading the reviews on tennis warehouse, of the models you suggested, it seems that the LM Radical is more powerful than the LM Instinct although the Instinct is advertised as more powerful...
Perhaps i should just purchase the LM Radical?
Nick

Steve H.
05-24-2005, 06:01 AM
If you want more power, add swingweight or get a frame with a bigger head. In addition to the Instinct, the AeroPro Drive and the the Prince Shark would be an incremental step up, you could also try adding a little weight to the heads of your current frames.

nViATi
05-24-2005, 06:22 AM
Thank you!
I am confused because while reading the reviews on tennis warehouse, of the models you suggested, it seems that the LM Radical is more powerful than the LM Instinct although the Instinct is advertised as more powerful...
Perhaps i should just purchase the LM Radical?
Nick
the reviews are not meant to be compared against eachother

monologuist
05-24-2005, 07:33 AM
you're not gonna get much of a power increase going from a Ti Radical to an LM Instinct...the LM Instinct is actually surprisingly low-powered. For a racquet of that weight range (11-11.5 oz. or so), if you are looking for more power, you should consider/demo :
1.Pro Kennex Laver Type S
2.Prince Shark
3.Babolat Aeropro Drive or Pure Drive
4.Prince TT Warrior OS
5.Wilson Surge
6.Volkl Tour 8 V-Engine or Tour 9 V-Engine

Out of those, my personal favorites are the Pro Kennex Laver Type S, Wilson Surge, and Prince TT Warrior OS, if you don't mind a 107 head and 27.5" kength. In particular, the Pro Kennex and Wilson will likely give you more power AND more control. If you hit pretty flat, the Babolats and Volkls might not be the best answers, but all of the above will be worth demoing IMO. Be warned that most of these will be a little stiffer, so probably a little less comfortable.