PDA

View Full Version : K90 over kps88?

tiochaota
07-13-2010, 04:44 PM
If you have good stroke, why most people go for k90? It's not like The weight is miles apart, why? Cause of the headsize?

movdqa
07-13-2010, 05:07 PM
The headsize is the same for both.

Fed uses the K90 or at least he used to. I'm sure that the BLX is selling like hotcakes though probably not as many as the AeroPro. The KPS is not really marketed and few people don't want something that heavy and that stiff and that small. Even Pete Sampras isn't using it anymore.

MrFlip
07-13-2010, 05:46 PM
The only thing the KPS88 made me realise was how well the K90 swings compared to it. Wilson should have known better to waste their time and money on producing these frames, although I'm guilty of playing with one for a few months.

The players who like small heads and heavy weight would have leaded up their K90s and saved two hundred. K90 has the same headsize as the KPS88 and is a much more versitile racquet.

Keifers
07-13-2010, 06:28 PM
The KPS is a beast of a racquet alright. Capable of manhandling any incoming ball, no matter what pace and spin it has. With its substantial weight, swingweight and twistweight, it can absolutely crush the ball -- perhaps like no other stock production frame can.

Even though Pete doesn't use it any more, it does serve to give a fairly accurate sense of the stick he won all those Slams with. And as such, comparatively few people can wield it to its potential.

KaZe
07-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Many of the players who buy the K90 are just huge *******s (somewhat guilty haha :razz:). Even though i'm a bigger fan of Pistol Pete i don't think i can handle his racquet too well. According to posts from other users..i guess there's a big difference between the KPS88 and the K90?

downdaline
07-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Many of the players who buy the K90 are just huge *******s (somewhat guilty haha :razz:). Even though i'm a bigger fan of Pistol Pete i don't think i can handle his racquet too well. According to posts from other users..i guess there's a big difference between the KPS88 and the K90?

There is.

I actually used a leaded up K90 before using the KPS. Bought the KPS bcos i found that the weight and swingweight were similar to my leaded up K90 - tot it would save me time and effort in leading up other K90s.

After switching back and forth, i settled on the KPS. It's a little less polarized than the K90, making it a little more stable, thought not as whippy as the K90.

Mansewerz
07-13-2010, 08:23 PM
K90 is flexier I beleive.

coloskier
07-13-2010, 08:48 PM
If you have good stroke, why most people go for k90? It's not like The weight is miles apart, why? Cause of the headsize?

I think it is the flexibility that is the difference. The KPS88 is very stiff, the K90 is much more flexible. That is why so many players are having arm and elbow problems with the 88 that they don't have with the 90.

KaZe
07-13-2010, 09:30 PM
There is.

I actually used a leaded up K90 before using the KPS. Bought the KPS bcos i found that the weight and swingweight were similar to my leaded up K90 - tot it would save me time and effort in leading up other K90s.

After switching back and forth, i settled on the KPS. It's a little less polarized than the K90, making it a little more stable, thought not as whippy as the K90.

My K90 feels already a little more head-heavy than most K90's..so i wonder if i'll be use to the different balance from the KPS88. I definitely want to buy one and give it a try as soon as i think i'm worthy of using it haha.

I think it is the flexibility that is the difference. The KPS88 is very stiff, the K90 is much more flexible. That is why so many players are having arm and elbow problems with the 88 that they don't have with the 90.

Not cool...i already have elbow problems and gotta wear a elbow brace when i play. That's so sad knowing that the KPS88 is out there to hurt my elbow :(

Fetedawg
07-13-2010, 09:47 PM
My K90 feels already a little more head-heavy than most K90's..so i wonder if i'll be use to the different balance from the KPS88. I definitely want to buy one and give it a try as soon as i think i'm worthy of using it haha.

Not to hi-jack this thread but if you are interested in a mint condition KPS88 but do not want to pay retail, I have one.

parasailing
07-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Not cool...i already have elbow problems and gotta wear a elbow brace when i play. That's so sad knowing that the KPS88 is out there to hurt my elbow :(

I have both racquets and prefer the KPS 88. As far as it being bad for the elbow, arm, or shoulder, I would suggest going with softer strings like a multi or gut to reduce the stiffness of the racquet and see if that helps you. You should definitely avoid using poly on this otherwise arm problems will definitely arise.

It plays like a beast especially against heavy hitters.

christo
07-13-2010, 11:09 PM
I don't think Pete's St. Vincent Pro Staffs were super stiff, I doubt if the "new"
version feels remotely the same. I had a PS 85 that was made in Taiwan and one made in China, the Taiwanese version was heavier, different SW, balance and flex, wish I never sold it. A PS expert told me the Taiwanese frames were made of graphite strands layed up, not the braided graphite used now.

FedError
07-14-2010, 01:16 AM
Most people are saying K90 is less stiff than K88....but according to:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/reviews/k61t90/k61t90review.html
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/reviews/KPS88/KPS88review.html
(specs are listed near the bottom)

their flex rating is the same.

Is there something I'm missing?

tennisjunkie
07-14-2010, 01:39 AM
I don't how it could be exactly the same, one is half carbon fiber and half kevlar and the other is 100% carbon fiber, and they both share the same mold.
Maybe they both share the same flex rating to a certain degree but I doubt they're truly the same.

coloskier
07-14-2010, 08:05 AM
Most people are saying K90 is less stiff than K88....but according to:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/reviews/k61t90/k61t90review.html
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/reviews/KPS88/KPS88review.html
(specs are listed near the bottom)

their flex rating is the same.

Is there something I'm missing?

Just going from experience hitting with both. I loved the plowthrough on the 88, but my elbow didn't like off center hits, whereas I did not have the same issue with my elbow using the 90 (using the same string).

KaZe
07-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Not to hi-jack this thread but if you are interested in a mint condition KPS88 but do not want to pay retail, I have one.

Sorry bud..i'm tempted but i really shouldn't spend money right now hahaha.

I have both racquets and prefer the KPS 88. As far as it being bad for the elbow, arm, or shoulder, I would suggest going with softer strings like a multi or gut to reduce the stiffness of the racquet and see if that helps you. You should definitely avoid using poly on this otherwise arm problems will definitely arise.

It plays like a beast especially against heavy hitters.

I'll definitely try out some more arm-friendly strings once i buy one! I'm actually so afraid of my elbow hurting lol.

Sephiroth619
07-14-2010, 10:00 AM
K90 > KPS88

Several things I did not like about the KPS88. Swingweight, feel, and grip. Grip on the K90 is smoother, more rounder. Feel, for some reason the throat felt thicker than the K90.

On groundstrokes, the K90 just feels 100x more solid. There is literally no vibration with my K90, tons of vibration with the KPS88 that I had.

parasailing
07-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Sorry bud..i'm tempted but i really shouldn't spend money right now hahaha.

I'll definitely try out some more arm-friendly strings once i buy one! I'm actually so afraid of my elbow hurting lol.

Aside from softer strings, string the racquet in the lower range say 55lbs to start and see if that works for you. I initially started at 57lbs and went down from there until I found what worked for me, 55lbs.

Keifers
07-14-2010, 03:57 PM
A cautionary tale about the KPS88:

About a year ago, a tennis friend hit with my 88, liked it a lot, and immediately ordered one from TW. Despite the 88's high sw, he added his usual 1 or 2 (can't remember which) layers of head protector tape from 3:00 to 9:00.

Big time arm problems! Almost immediately. He's still off tennis.

Stick It Wear?!
07-14-2010, 05:27 PM
I have both.

Had the K90 since it came out. Enjoyed it very much. Never thought I would give it up. But now I am a KPS88 convert. True, there is a longer adjustment time than with the K90. But there is something about hitting with that racket correctly that keeps me coming back for more.

That racket really has taught me how to relax through all of my strokes. If you try to wrist or muscle anything you will experience pain. You let the mass do the work and the ball penetrates the court unlike any other.

Experienced strokes apply.

K90 = KPS88
Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

pyrokid
07-14-2010, 06:09 PM
I thought the K90 was a great racquet, stiff, but not too stiff, great open string pattern, and pretty nice feel.
The KPS88 was just nuts though. And in a way that for me, wasn't the best.
It was like a tweener... but not. Some weird, hybrid of a monster. It had the characteristics of both a player's frame (heavy, hard to maneuver, thin beamed) and a tweener (stiff, weird feel, super powered, ultra spinny, lack of control)
I don't even know how the two frames could be compared. With the K90, I played normally, working angles, crushing short balls. With the 88, I was forced to just go for winners on half my shots because I couldn't get the same angles I usually could. But it let me hit a lot more winners than usual, and I didn't play badly with it, just differently.

BounceHitBounceHit
07-14-2010, 06:49 PM
There is.

I agree with this assessment. The K90 is noticeably more polarized in comparison to the KPS 88. The K90 is easier to 'whip' through the strike zone, and as such is probably a better choice for players with a more 'modern' stroke, as opposed to the KPS 88, which is all about long, flat ball crushing power and stability. Also, if you have the technique to swing it properly, the KPS 88 is a MONSTER on the serve. :) BHBH

KaZe
07-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Aside from softer strings, string the racquet in the lower range say 55lbs to start and see if that works for you. I initially started at 57lbs and went down from there until I found what worked for me, 55lbs.

Once the strings die on my K90 i was actually planning on stringing mine at 57lbs and work down as well. I bought my racquet strung and it's definitely...tight. I've been hitting with it for months now and the strings haven't loosened up anywhere on the racquet! Tempted to just cut them off :???:

xFullCourtTenniSx
07-14-2010, 11:26 PM
The KPS88 is an AMAZING stick. I mean, so is the K90... But in stock form, the KPS88 is AMAZING. I really don't think you have to do too much to it to improve it. I mean, it could use a little extra heft, but it's such an amazing racket. You really don't have to do any work because the racket does it all for you. Just a smooth swing sends the ball deep. The feel was very soft as well. I still prefer the feel of a PS85 more than that of a K90 or KPS88 though. That was just dreamy. Picked it up, and liked it immediately after 2 shots. And I usually don't transition so quickly into a different racket. And when I was at net, it felt unbelievable. So quick and so accurate. The head size wasn't even noticeable except on my forehand, but it's been on vacation so I'm not sure how valid that statement is.

The KPS88 is just a solid stick all around.

The K90 is just a great stick, with a little more room to customize. I'd have to say the PS85 is like a smaller and more maneuverable (and lighter feeling) K90 with the feel of a KPS88, but better. I think the PS85 I hit with was either a late Chicago or early St. Vincent version, but I'm no expert so I can't be 100% sure. Absolutely a solid racket though. Great paintjob too.

Keifers
07-14-2010, 11:39 PM
The KPS88 is an AMAZING stick. I mean, so is the K90... But in stock form, the KPS88 is AMAZING. I really don't think you have to do too much to it to improve it. I mean, it could use a little extra heft, but it's such an amazing racket. You really don't have to do any work because the racket does it all for you. Just a smooth swing sends the ball deep. The feel was very soft as well. I still prefer the feel of a PS85 more than that of a K90 or KPS88 though. That was just dreamy. Picked it up, and liked it immediately after 2 shots. And I usually don't transition so quickly into a different racket. And when I was at net, it felt unbelievable. So quick and so accurate. The head size wasn't even noticeable except on my forehand, but it's been on vacation so I'm not sure how valid that statement is.

The KPS88 is just a solid stick all around.

The K90 is just a great stick, with a little more room to customize. I'd have to say the PS85 is like a smaller and more maneuverable (and lighter feeling) K90 with the feel of a KPS88, but better. I think the PS85 I hit with was either a late Chicago or early St. Vincent version, but I'm no expert so I can't be 100% sure. Absolutely a solid racket though. Great paintjob too.
I share your enthusiasm for those early versions of the PS85 (or PS Midsize, as it was called back then). They had that wonderful 80 graphite/20 kevlar composition. And they were heavier and more solid-feeling than the later PS 6.0 85s.

I would love to see a Pro Staff 90, i.e., a 90" version of the early PS85s. That would be really... 8) !!