PDA

View Full Version : ****! I hate my racquet but im too poor to buy a new one

tsongaali
07-13-2010, 06:20 PM
so I have this yonex super rd tour 90 leaded up to 13.6 oz (My Dad gave me this racquet). I just can't generate any power with this thing without swinging it like hell. I don't think it is too heavy for me to swing because I lift 35 lb weights for bicep curls. I tried experimenting with different strings, but still no power.

What can I do to get more power? My technique is solid and I am a 4.0 ntrp. Apparently it has 4.5 grams of lead in the bumper fyi.

ManuGinobili
07-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Ask your parents to invest in a string machine on you.... learn how to string and do it for others for money... you can break even in as fast as 2 months, then u'll make a crapload of dough for new rackets

anirut
07-13-2010, 06:32 PM
IF, yes, a big IF. If you play better with something lighter, then why not remove the lead and see how it goes?

If I were you, I'd remove all lead and rework the mod to my liking, rather than having to play with something that somebody else likes but doesn't suit me.

lisp
07-13-2010, 06:33 PM
so I have this yonex super rd tour 90 leaded up to 13.6 oz (My Dad gave me this racquet). I just can't generate any power with this thing without swinging it like hell. I don't think it is too heavy for me to swing because I lift 35 lb weights for bicep curls. I tried experimenting with different strings, but still no power.

What can I do to get more power? My technique is solid and I am a 4.0 ntrp. Apparently it has 4.5 grams of lead in the bumper fyi.

You could cut the string and take the lead out of the bumper.

Mr_Shiver
07-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Hmm, take off all of the extra weight perhaps. Lead under the bumper would increase the swing weight. What is its stock weight anyway? What kind of strings did you try and at what tension.

djokovicgonzalez2010
07-13-2010, 06:37 PM
Get a used racquet from a trusted source

tsongaali
07-13-2010, 06:54 PM
You could cut the string and take the lead out of the bumper.

You know how much trouble that is? I just got it restrung so that money was wasted, then I have to remove the bumper guard and buy a new one because the grommets are flared, then I have to put the new one on (which is a huge pain in the *****).

My dad said he made sure that the only lead put on the racquet was under the bumper but now he's not sure how much he put. The thing is, even if he put a lot, the racquet is still like 11 pts hl, but there is no lead on the handle or anything. I think the racquet was way off spec when he bought it, because my dad said he didn't add enough lead to make it 13.6 ounces.

tsongaali
07-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Get a used racquet from a trusted source

I don't have enough money to get a decent one, unless its in horrible condition.

flashfire276
07-13-2010, 06:57 PM
IF, yes, a big IF. If you play better with something lighter, then why not remove the lead and see how it goes?

If I were you, I'd remove all lead and rework the mod to my liking, rather than having to play with something that somebody else likes but doesn't suit me.

I agree with this. That way, you can modify it to your own specs starting from stock form.

Or you can always trade it on the classifieds. See what can happen!

ronalditop
07-13-2010, 07:13 PM
String it at 35lbs.

lisp
07-13-2010, 08:03 PM
You know how much trouble that is? I just got it restrung so that money was wasted, then I have to remove the bumper guard and buy a new one because the grommets are flared, then I have to put the new one on (which is a huge pain in the *****).

My dad said he made sure that the only lead put on the racquet was under the bumper but now he's not sure how much he put. The thing is, even if he put a lot, the racquet is still like 11 pts hl, but there is no lead on the handle or anything. I think the racquet was way off spec when he bought it, because my dad said he didn't add enough lead to make it 13.6 ounces.

Well then play with it until it needs a restring. Plus, its not that much trouble I've taken my grommets off to put on lead tape and then put them on again. Its either spend 5 dollars grommets + string and stringing cost or spend more buying a new racquet. Its all your choice.

pyrokid
07-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Sooo...
You want a way to add power, without adding or removing weight or changing the strings.
Not gonna happen.
You have to compromise here.
Assuming a new string job's cheaper than a new racquet, I'd say save up a bit and go from there.

Mr_Shiver
07-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Ok guys, on the count of 3. 1...2...CUT THEM OUT! CUT THEM OUT! CUT THEM OUT! (the strings of course).

tennis005
07-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Maybe demo a few rackets, find one you like, and try to trade yours for the one you liked.

grimmbomb21
07-13-2010, 10:05 PM

Are you in the US? I have a PDR cortex with a 4 5/8 grip, an AG 200 with a 4 1/2 grip, or two dunlop 200gs. Not sure of the grip on those though...

cmb
07-13-2010, 11:45 PM
i will sell u 3 k blade 98 for 150 euros. But I assume ur not in europe

AndrewD
07-14-2010, 01:41 AM
I don't have enough money to get a decent one, unless its in horrible condition.

If you're in the States, $20 and a bit of initiative can get you an excellent racquet.

tennisjunkie
07-14-2010, 02:03 AM
It could be that you moved the sweet spot wayyy up too high on the racket face from all that lead tape. Unless you prefer a 14oz racket, to counter balance the weight, you should probably remove some or if not all the lead and go from there as your starting point. Good luck.

VGP
07-14-2010, 04:52 AM

If you're in the States, $20 and a bit of initiative can get you an excellent racquet.

That's for damn sure.

Whatever.

goran_ace
07-14-2010, 05:47 AM
Spending money on a new bumperguard and restringing is a lot cheaper than buying new rackets (or a stringing machine). Get rid of all that lead and your swingspeed should increase.

DonBot
07-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Regardless of what strings are in it I have a hard time fathoming a 13.6 oz graphite raquet that lacks power.

The_Question
07-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Too poor? Idk, get a job? All I read so far is whine, whine, and some more whine...feel lucky that you even have a racquet to start with...

diggitydawg
07-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Too poor? Idk, get a job? All I read so far is whine, whine, and some more whine...feel lucky that you even have a racquet to start with...

I say BOO-HOO. Go mow a couple lawns or sell candy bars or make a cardboard sign, then sit on the curb, then beg for $.
" Ain't enough to dream. Do something."

5th Element
07-14-2010, 02:52 PM

Tells us a bit more about you.

I suggest you do the following:

1) Set up a paypal donation account
2) Ask (nicely) TW forum members to contribute towards it (I will)
3) Buy your new racket with the money donated
4) Post a picture of you and the racket with a big smile and a big thank you to all people :)

And, yes, am serious!

new_tennis_player
07-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Get a job.

pyrokid
07-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Tells us a bit more about you.

I suggest you do the following:

1) Set up a paypal donation account
2) Ask (nicely) TW forum members to contribute towards it (I will)
3) Buy your new racket with the money donated
4) Post a picture of you and the racket with a big smile and a big thank you to all people :)

And, yes, am serious!
Seriously, don't encourage internet begging.
If that starts up and others follow, this forum is GONE.

tsongaali
07-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Thanks to the people who gave me good advice. I decided I am going to remove the bumper guard and lead, and go from there.

No thanks to everyone else. Seriously, this thread is a testament to how many low-life scumbags are on tt. You talk about me being whiny and too spoiled to get a job, well why don't you find a better use of your time than to criticize someone who's circumstances you aren't even aware. It's clear that the internet is the only place for you morons.

anirut
07-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Alright, tsongaali, now that you've decided to remove the lead, some words for caution:

Be very slow when taking out the grommets. Take your time. Never rush. Go really slow. Be in a good mood when doing it. For those flared ones, have a small plier to 'press' them in somewhat so they come out easier (not easily).

Have a flat screwdriver handy. You may need it to lift the grommets. Just think of ways to get the job done without anything getting destroyed.

The more troublesome part will be getting them back it. The following technique is only if you know how to control the heat, otherwise your grommets will be gone in a blink.

I have a lighter handy. Before putting them in, for those flared ones, I use the lighter flame, passing quickly on the grommets to heat the plastic very lightly, and finger-press them so they kinda go in and be less flared. And it's the flared ones that will melt so easily because the flared parts are already thin. Be very careful. TAKE YOUR TIME.

Enjoy!

Buckethead
07-14-2010, 06:51 PM
You didn't say where you live,but I'd love to have your racket,you better try to find another one than to some other cra.p ones.That is a great racket and nowadays you will not find another racket like that.

Head Size: 90 sq. in. /581 sq. cm.
Length: 27.00 inches / 68.58 cm
Strung Weight: 12.70 oz / 360 g
Balance: 10pts HL
Swing Weight: 327
Beam Width: 0.0 mm Tip/0.0 mm Shaft
Composition:
Power Level:
Stiffness: 62
String Pattern: 16 Mains/18 Crosses
Main Skip:
String Tension:
There is not much lead then.Try to then add a few grams at 3 and 9 and 2g on each side of the throat so then you'll have more plow through,which will increase your punch.Happiness guaranteed with this set up.

Buckethead
07-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Regardless of what strings are in it I have a hard time fathoming a 13.6 oz graphite raquet that lacks power.

that's right.
He needs to also work on his technique.

Polaris
08-10-2010, 08:36 PM

Totally agree. The racquet that I seem to play best with (a Head Graphite Edge) cost me all of $6.50 on the big auction site.

film1
08-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Save up and buy a used or new head lm radical.

new_tennis_player
08-10-2010, 09:49 PM
that's right.
He needs to also work on his technique.

Or get a job. :)