PDA

View Full Version : Help - MG Radical or MG Radical Team

Happypants
07-13-2010, 10:50 PM
I'm trying to decide which one I should get. They are somewhat similar, but if anyone would like to point out strengths or weaknesses in certain categories, that would be a great help. I'm looking for control, good topspin and spin potential, and low power. The only thing that really concerns me is the 102 head on the team, I've always played with 110.

Radical
* Headsize: 107 sq. inches
* Grip type: HydroSorb
* Weight: 295g/10.4 oz unstrung
* Balance : 320mm / 1"HL
* Beam : 21 mm
* Condition: Brand New (plastic on the handle)
* Cover included: Yes
* The racquet comes unstrung
* String Pattern: 18 * 19
* Recommended String Tension: 57 + 5 ;-5
* Warranty: 1 Year Manufacturers
* Regular Retail: 179.00

Radical Team
*Head Size: 102 Sq. Inches
*Length: 27 inches / 69 cm
*Strung Weight: 10.7 Ounces
*Balance: Head Light
*Beam Width: 22 mm Straight Beam
*Composition: Microgel / Graphite
*Power Level: Medium
*Swing Speed: Moderate
*Grip Type: Head HydroSorb White
*String Pattern: 16 Mains/ 19 Crosses
*String Tension: 52-62 lbs.

Thanks for any help.

Happypants
07-14-2010, 10:08 AM
No input or advice?

BC1
07-14-2010, 11:17 AM
According to your specs you are asking about the Radical "Oversize" v. the Radical Team. If you are only looking at these two you need to consider if you want the lighter weight of the Team or the larger head of the Oversize version.

Personally, and from the information you gave on what you are looking for, I would choose the regular version - the Radical MP. The head size is a lot smaller (98in), but don't let that scare you. You should adapt quickly. It is a great all aroud frame. Low power, high control, and will help you develop your game - and you won't outgrow it as quickly as the other two.

WilsonPlayer101
07-14-2010, 12:51 PM
I have the Radical MP. I agree with BC1 it's a great racquet. I'm a strong guy so I don't need a racquet that offers power. I generate my own power so the Rad MP is great because it's flexible and less powerful than a lot of racquets so it offers me a lot of control. I went from a stiffer Wislon racquet that is 95 Sq Inch to this one. The Wilson was good but I wanted less power and wanted ease on the arm which the Rad MP does. I have not tried the Oversize but I don't want to grow accustomed to a 107 Sq Inch racquet.

I am sure I did not answer the question but I just want to say what I think about this particular racquet.

flashfire276
07-14-2010, 01:25 PM
To be honest, don't get either of those. You get the MG Radical MP. You want a racquet that would help progress your game in the future.

Happypants
07-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Besides being less forgiving, what does the MP offer over the OS? I'm just worried I'm not good enough for 98 inch head. I guess its easier to move around as well correct?

WilsonPlayer101
07-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Happy, I started off on a wooden racquet. Not sure the head size but it was smaller than the classic Wilson Pro Staff that Sampras as known for which was an 85. I went to a Head Arthur Ashe and that was a small head size. Then I went to a 95 sq inch Wilson. I'm up to a 98 sq inch Head MG Rad MP. If I needed to I could go to a 93 but the 95 and 98 are a good sized zone. I'd say that if you put your mind to it and concentrate when you hit a 98 is plenty big. You don't want to get addicted to these big racquet head sizes. They are bulky. 95 or 98 is a good size. You will be able to. If you have not done so take part in the TW demo program it helped me a lot in deciding which to get.

WilsonPlayer101
07-14-2010, 04:39 PM
I re-read your original post. I see you are used to a 110. Well that's a different story. Maybe it might be hard for you to get used to 98. Well demo some 98s and see how you do. If you do well then go for it otherwise get the oversized.

marosmith
07-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Besides being less forgiving, what does the MP offer over the OS? I'm just worried I'm not good enough for 98 inch head. I guess its easier to move around as well correct?

You are good enough for the MP. It gives you headroom to progress. More maneuverable, better at the net. It is plenty forgiving. String it with powerful string in the 40's then go up from there.

BC1
07-15-2010, 05:13 AM

It will be easier and quicker then you think (adjusting to a smaller head size). And once you do, you will NEVER want to go back. Like marosmith said it offers many advantages. It also gives you more control, consistency, and in the end, better confidence. The larger headsizes (over 100) feel cumbersome after you play with a 95-98.

olliess
07-15-2010, 07:03 AM
I'm trying to decide which one I should get. Radical
* Headsize: 107 sq. inches

Radical Team
*Head Size: 102 Sq. Inches

Have you tried them both? (Along with the Radical MP). Your reactions to playing with each racquet would be the most useful information.

It will be easier and quicker then you think (adjusting to a smaller head size). And once you do, you will NEVER want to go back. Like marosmith said it offers many advantages. It also gives you more control, consistency, and in the end, better confidence.

How the heck did that Agassi guy manage to play consistently with an OS? :-?

WilsonPlayer101
07-15-2010, 07:08 AM
Have you tried them both? (Along with the Radical MP). Your reactions to playing with each racquet would be the most useful information.

I don't know but Agassi was a free-radical so I guess he could do anything.

BC1
07-15-2010, 07:10 AM

I'm talking about us mere mortals. Agassi or any of the "pros" can play consistently with anything - whether it's 90in or 116in.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the larger head sizes, I'm just stating that imo the mid+ sizes seem to provide better control which leads to better consistency - once again i'm speaking for those of us who may not have perfect strokes and foot work everytime. just my opinion. You need to demo extensively to find out for sure.

BC1
07-15-2010, 07:10 AM

I'm talking about us mere mortals. Agassi or any of the "pros" can play consistently with anything - whether it's 90in or 116in.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the larger head sizes, I'm just stating that imo the mid+ sizes seem to provide better control which leads to better consistency - once again i'm speaking for those of us who may not have perfect strokes and foot work everytime. just my opinion. OP needs to demo extensively to find out for sure.

-sorry for the duplicate post - didn't mean to do that. -

Happypants
07-15-2010, 11:28 PM
I understand what you guys are saying, I've just noticed alot of people who move to sub 100 headsizes and end up hating it and miss-hitting like crazy. I don't want backtrack far enough that it takes me weeks to get to where I am now with a 110. Again, I'm an intermediate player that plays for fun, no real tournaments or competitions.

I'm aware the only true way for me to know is to demo....

On another note, what strings should I be looking to get and at what tension? (for the radical MP or OS)

Happypants
07-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Also, I was interested in the radical team, which is a 102. Don't you think that's a more appropriate medium for me and my game?

BC1
07-16-2010, 06:16 AM
Also, I was interested in the radical team, which is a 102. Don't you think that's a more appropriate medium for me and my game?

Yes, the Radical Team should be fine.
Not to confuse the whole head size issue any more then it already is, but if you haven't heard, HEAD head sizes run smaller then most other brands due to the way they measure (evidently from the outside instead of the inside of the frame), anyway, it's true. A HEAD 98 size is almost identical to a Wilson 95 (I just doubled checked with the two I have, by eye, and by ruler. A MG Radical MP compared to Wilson 6.1 team). The Wilson 95in even seemed slightly longer, but the HEAD 98in was slightly wider, but for all practical purposes the same. I don't believe there is anyone who could tell the difference when playing or putting the racquets on top of each other. So, my point is, the HEAD 102 in is probably the same as most other brands 100 in or 98 in heads. But the difference is so small imo it won't matter. It might be more of a mental thing then anything else, and you'll get over that once you start playing with whatever you choose.

marosmith
07-16-2010, 02:33 PM
If you get the team version you should add lead. It is too light unless you are unathletic and under 150 lbs. A light racket will cause injuries and te. Be careful.

OldButGame
07-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Happy,....I'm only about a 3.5,....always played with 98" racquets,....recently got the Babolat Pure Storm Ltd ( 95" ). And i LOVE that racquet!!!!!....this is about the same differential in size You are talking about. I dont notice the size difference at all.

**Also...I would cast yet another vote for the Microgel Radical MP. Great Racquet!!!!