PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose the new racquet I'm not going to buy

sstchur
07-14-2010, 07:44 AM
It's highly unlikely I will switch racquets, because I already have 4 of my current stick. I have a bag to match, and I don't want to spend the money for new racquets and go through the hassle of selling my old ones. Plus, I'm used to these.

But it's fun to dream anyway and bat around ideas/opinions/suggestions with other enthusiasts.

Currently:
4 Fischer M Pro One 98s, mostly stock but with a bit of lead at 3 & 9.

Style of play:
Agressive baseliner in the 4.0 range. Good flat first serve, descent slice and kick serve. Like to come to net to finish points when possible. Do not like long drawn out points.

Characteristics I like in a racquet:
- Should feel like it is "swallowing" or "absorbing" the ball. I don't care for still frames (don't like it when the ball feels like it is "launching" off the string bed).
- Should be a very control oriented frame.
- Should not be at all head heavy.
- Probably would not considered evenly weighted either.
- Should be a readily available frame (not something I have to buy used necessarily)

Brands I would not switch to (for one reason or another -- unimportant why):
Wilson
Babolat
Probably not Head
Probably not Prince
Probably not Dunlop

I like lesser used/known brands, because that's just how I am (there is no rhyme or reason to it).

Brands I've liked in the past:
Fischer
Gamma
Volkl

Suggestions?

TW Staff
07-14-2010, 08:26 AM
It's highly unlikely I will switch racquets, because I already have 4 of my current stick. I have a bag to match, and I don't want to spend the money for new racquets and go through the hassle of selling my old ones. Plus, I'm used to these.

But it's fun to dream anyway and bat around ideas/opinions/suggestions with other enthusiasts.

Currently:

Style of play:
Agressive baseliner in the 4.0 range. Good flat first serve, descent slice and kick serve. Like to come to net to finish points when possible. Do not like long drawn out points.

Characteristics I like in a racquet:
- Should feel like it is "swallowing" or "absorbing" the ball. I don't care for still frames (don't like it when the ball feels like it is "launching" off the string bed).
- Should be a very control oriented frame.
- Should not be at all head heavy.
- Probably would not considered evenly weighted either.
- Should be a readily available frame (not something I have to buy used necessarily)

Wilson
Babolat
Probably not Head
Probably not Prince
Probably not Dunlop

I like lesser used/known brands, because that's just how I am (there is no rhyme or reason to it).

Fischer
Gamma
Volkl

Suggestions?

Hello,

I think the Volkl Power Bridge 10 mid or mid plus would be a perfect fit for you. The Power Bridge 10 fits the description of the characteristics that you look for in a tennis racquet. The Power Bridge 10 is very nice on the arm, control oriented, head light and it is one of the brands that you have liked playing with in the past. The Power Bridge 10 is the racquet that I am currently playing with and I think it is a perfect fit for my game.

Danny, TW

sstchur
07-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Hello,

I think the Volkl Power Bridge 10 mid or mid plus would be a perfect fit for you. The Power Bridge 10 fits the description of the characteristics that you look for in a tennis racquet. The Power Bridge 10 is very nice on the arm, control oriented, head light and it is one of the brands that you have liked playing with in the past. The Power Bridge 10 is the racquet that I am currently playing with and I think it is a perfect fit for my game.

Danny, TW

Thanks Danny! If I remember correctly, you've used (or at least playtested/demo'd the Fischer Pro One 98 in the past, right?)

Could you offer a real brief comparison of the two?

MarcusInKensington
07-14-2010, 08:34 AM
I recently bought some Volkl PB8 315's, which I thought were great until I tried the Pacific X Force Pro earlier today. It's without a doubt the nicest racquet I've ever hit with...even with the factory strings.

98" head, 320g, so might be something you'd want to consider.

sstchur
07-14-2010, 08:38 AM
I recently bought some Volkl PB8 315's, which I thought were great until I tried the Pacific X Force Pro earlier today. It's without a doubt the nicest racquet I've ever hit with...even with the factory strings.

98" head, 320g, so might be something you'd want to consider.

I wonder if there is any compelling reason to consider Pacific X Force Pro though? My understanding is that it is merely a slightly tweaked and rebranded Fischer M Pro One 98?

Pacific bought Fischer, so one would expect those two racquets to be rather similar.

Parker512
07-14-2010, 08:54 AM
Mantis tennis raquets comming out in fall! there so post to be like fischer raquets with a little dunlop and Vokl in them im going to try them when they come out.

fuzz nation
07-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Another candidate for a test drive with the Volkl C10 I think...

TW Staff
07-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks Danny! If I remember correctly, you've used (or at least playtested/demo'd the Fischer Pro One 98 in the past, right?)

Could you offer a real brief comparison of the two?

I just finished testing the Pacific X Force Pro, which is the replacement for the Fischer M Pro Number 0ne and I thought they were very similar. I thought the Pacific X Force Pro had a more flexible feel in comparison to the Fischer Pro Number one. That was the only difference that I noticed. Personally, I think the Pb10 mid is a better fit for me from the baseline, but I think the Fischer and Pacific racquets might have an edge at the net. I found more spin potential and I thought my variety of shots were better with the Pb 10 vs the Pacific. At the net, I thought I had more control and accuracy with the Pacific/Fischer racquet. I think I had more pop, spin and consistency when serving with the Pb10 vs the Pacific/Fischer racquet. In conclusion, I think all three models that I mentioned above are great frames and are what you are looking for.

Danny, TW

Al1978
07-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Interesting observation. I have both the M Pro and X Force Pro, and find the M Pro to be slightly softer. It's about the softest racquet I've ever hit with, in fact, along with the Gamma G325. The X Force, as the specs suggest, feels a tad stiffer than the M Pro with the same natural gut strings. But it's still very flexible and buttery in my hands, and it is my racquet of choice when the points count.

Irvin
07-15-2010, 12:46 PM
It's highly unlikely I will switch racquets...

Currently:
Wilson
Babolat
Probably not Head
Probably not Prince
Probably not Dunlop

Fischer
Gamma
Volkl

Suggestions?

How about Pacific (http://www.pacific.com/cms/front_content.php?changelang=2&idcat=50)?

Irvin

sstchur
07-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Interesting observation. I have both the M Pro and X Force Pro, and find the M Pro to be slightly softer. It's about the softest racquet I've ever hit with, in fact, along with the Gamma G325. The X Force, as the specs suggest, feels a tad stiffer than the M Pro with the same natural gut strings. But it's still very flexible and buttery in my hands, and it is my racquet of choice when the points count.

How is the G325? I've always always wanted to try one but have never been able to get my hands on one. I was able to try out a Tradition 18 way back in the day and liked it. But I took a long break from tennis and by the time I got back into it, Gamma was into the T series and the G325 was impossible to find.

Djlpenguin
07-18-2010, 11:35 AM
HOLD UP!
Give the Exo Rebel 95 a try, it's a great racquet.

sstchur
07-18-2010, 02:15 PM
HOLD UP!
Give the Exo Rebel 95 a try, it's a great racquet.

Yeah, I've heard that this is a very good racquet that is often overlooked.

What do you think makes it great?