PDA

View Full Version : Significant Difference Between 98 and 100 Sq Inc???

WilsonPlayer101
07-14-2010, 08:26 AM
Okay here is the new edited version of the original version of the message.

I see many tennis racquet companies with many 100 sq inch head racquets and a few 98. I'm curious why they are making so many 100 rather than 98s? The difference is only two inches. What would be the purpose of this? For the past 15 or so years I have been using a 95 Sq Inch Wilson Jim Courier and was used to that. I still use the Wilson but on occasions because my new racquet is the Head Microgel Radical MP which is 98. It makes me wonder if most the makers will stop making 98 an go for 100 sq inch over time and I think that the bigger the racquet the more bulky. I don't want to head in that direction and get addicted to a bigger head size. 98 is where I prefer to stop but a lot of cool racquets are 100 or above. Back in high school in the '80s when Prince came out with oversized racquets they looked gigantic. I mean people were still using wood racquets or graphite but the newer graphites from other brands were not that big (think Pro Kennex, Head Arthur Ashe, Wilson T-2000 (I know that's steel), Original Pro Staff).

Rockitdog
07-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Short answer- No. I'll let someone else handle the long answer :cool:

WilsonPlayer101
07-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Rock I see you have 3 Head Microgel Radicals MPs. Man I have one too but not three.

What strings do yo like on yours?

pyrokid
07-14-2010, 08:52 AM
The head sizes are measured from the outside of the frame, so they're actually smaller than the specs indicate.
The radical actually has a smaller head than a standard 95.

WilsonPlayer101
07-14-2010, 09:12 AM
pyrokid, then maybe that's why I go back and forth between the Head Rad and the Wilson with ease. The Radical is a great racquet.

atatu
07-14-2010, 08:19 PM
The Prince frames you mentioned were 110. Your post is a bit too rambling for anyone to really address.

Racer41c
07-14-2010, 09:03 PM
... getting back to the original question.

Comparing head sizes between makers isn't relevent. Each mfg Markets their frames the way they want. Is a Dunlop 98 sq in head smaller than a Dunlop 100 sq in? Yes it is. Is a Dunlop 98 sq in 4d 300 16x19 the same as a 98 sq in Babolat Pure Storm? Not sure, but that's not really the point. What they're trying to communicate to you is the 98 is going to have less power, a slightly smaller sweet spot, better feel and control. The 100 sq in head will have more power, a larger sweet spot, etc. The other thing you'll typically see is the larger head sizes are stiffer (Wilson's are an exception).

So if you want a more control oriented lower power racquet look more towards the 98's or if you want more power look at the 100's. There are many exceptions, but this is generally how it works.

My .02.

luishcorreia
07-15-2010, 05:45 AM
I've wonder about this..but my solution is simpler. I like playing with 100sqin racquets, so I only buy and play with that.

Some years ago I had a Wilson nCode nSixOne, with a 95sqin head. I found the sweet spot smaller.

I now use vantage racquets with 100 sqin. Before that I played with Babolat Pure Drive (100 sqin also).

Just pick whats best for you and stick with it! Changing frames constantly is not good for your game. Change only if its going to be a more permanent change, or if you have a good reason: need more power, have pain in your elbow, etc.

luishcorreia
07-15-2010, 05:47 AM
... and...if you end up using a 110 sqin racquet, whats the prooblem?

You should use whats best for your game and yor body. Forget about pre-conceived ideas. Players racquets are for 5.0 players and up.

Us mortals should use racquets that fit our game.

I'm a 4.0 player and I use a 100 sqin vantage frame, 310g, 63RA, 6 pts Head Light frame.

WilsonPlayer101
07-15-2010, 05:59 AM
The Prince frames you mentioned were 110. Your post is a bit too rambling for anyone to really address.

You are right, let me see if I can edit it to make it smaller. I guess I was thinking too much about it as I was typing. Let me reedit and make it shorter and to the point.

WilsonPlayer101
07-15-2010, 06:09 AM

Man it took a lot of companies awhile to start making 110 head sized racquets but Prince right off the bat came out with 110. No wonder they looked like big frying pans. Just jump from 80 sq inch racquets to 110. I guess they were trying to appeal to those who needed more surface area to hit and they figured they would sell. I understand cost accounting and managerial accounting and all that extra material to make the bigger head size which might not seem a lot actually adds up over thousands of racquets made. They must have forecast that people would be buying these up which would make up for the extra cost. Apparently they were right because they would have stopped production soon after if they did not sell. Must have been a big money maker.

WilsonPlayer101
07-15-2010, 06:15 AM
... and...if you end up using a 110 sqin racquet, whats the prooblem?

You should use whats best for your game and yor body. Forget about pre-conceived ideas. Players racquets are for 5.0 players and up.

Us mortals should use racquets that fit our game.

I'm a 4.0 player and I use a 100 sqin vantage frame, 310g, 63RA, 6 pts Head Light frame.

I think the problem for me with a bigger racquet like 110 is they are to me bulky and less maneuverable. And seems like over time the smaller head sizes are phased out for the most part (not all but most) and over time 98 will be a thing of the past. 95 almost is although there are still some. But like I say they must sell more larger sizes because they would not do so if they did not. Okay I should get with the program and if I get another racquet in the future and it's a larger head size just roll with it if I like it. I'm curious about a the Youtek Speed Elite but it's 100 sq inch then there I go going bigger on the racquet again.

WilsonPlayer101
07-15-2010, 10:26 AM
I think also it's just psychological. I have to just go with whatever head size works for me. Hey I'm no pro so I need all the assistance I can get.

BC1
07-15-2010, 11:10 AM
I think the problem for me with a bigger racquet like 110 is they are to me bulky and less maneuverable. And seems like over time the smaller head sizes are phased out for the most part (not all but most) and over time 98 will be a thing of the past. 95 almost is although there are still some. But like I say they must sell more larger sizes because they would not do so if they did not...

wilsonplayer - I sure hope you are wrong about the 95-98 being phased out. However, it does seem like more and more players of all levels are playing with 100+ head sizes. More of the top pros are, but I have a feeling it is just as much for the money (endorsements and sponsorships) as it is for the racquet. The pros and top players could play with a 95 just as easy as 100, and many are capable of using whatever racquet their sponsor wants them to use, but the racquet companies are wanting to market the 100 in. racquets to the masses. Not that it matters, but it would be interesting to have the stats on what the majority of "club players", say 4.0-5.5 level play with.