PDA

View Full Version : Help with new racquet recommendation

jhick
07-14-2010, 10:39 AM
I am looking for a new racquet after one of my old original Wilson skunk racquets (made in the 90's) accidentally cracked while playing recently. My experience is that once I find a racquet I like, I don't change often.

While testing and demo-ing(? ) new models, I've noticed that many of the new racquets these days are lighter in weight and also manufactuers have gone away from the head heavy design that I prefer. I am a 4.5-5.0 player, have a compact swing, and prefer heavy (>11 oz.) oversize (105-110 sq inches) racquets with some pop. This seems to be a hard combination to find.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Agent Orynge
07-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Use the racquet finder.

http://www.racquetfinder.com/index.php?name=&manufacturer=&hsMin=105&hsMax=&lMin=&lMax=&wMin=11&wMax=&swMin=&swMax=&fMin=&fMax=&bpMin=&bpMax=&bwMin=&bwMax=&mains=&crosses=&currentcheckbox=on&current=Y&max_price=&x=53&y=35

I plugged in your specs and a multitude of frames came up. Narrow your search down by racquet length and string pattern (16 or 18 mains) and have fun demoing...

jhick
07-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Use the racquet finder.

http://www.racquetfinder.com/index.php?name=&manufacturer=&hsMin=105&hsMax=&lMin=&lMax=&wMin=11&wMax=&swMin=&swMax=&fMin=&fMax=&bpMin=&bpMax=&bwMin=&bwMax=&mains=&crosses=&currentcheckbox=on&current=Y&max_price=&x=53&y=35

I plugged in your specs and a multitude of frames came up. Narrow your search down by racquet length and string pattern (16 or 18 mains) and have fun demoing...

Thanks. Unfortunately none of the racquets listed are head heavy. I suppose I could always try to look for something that is weighted low on the HL scale and then add some lead tape.

flashfire276
07-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Thanks. Unfortunately none of the racquets listed are head heavy. I suppose I could always try to look for something that is weighted low on the HL scale and then add some lead tape.

That's gonna be your best bet. Today's head heavy and OS racquets are considered to be beginner sticks.

I would suggest to get a Head Liquidmetal Radical OS. It's probably one of the best OS racquets on the market at the moment. Since it's around even balance when strung, some lead would help you out there.
And if you can, try out the Prince EXO3 Silver. My friend just got it, and my gosh. It's an enormous head size (118) and head heavy, but it has control and generates amazing spin!

jhick
08-24-2010, 07:39 PM
That's gonna be your best bet. Today's head heavy and OS racquets are considered to be beginner sticks.

I would suggest to get a Head Liquidmetal Radical OS. It's probably one of the best OS racquets on the market at the moment. Since it's around even balance when strung, some lead would help you out there.
And if you can, try out the Prince EXO3 Silver. My friend just got it, and my gosh. It's an enormous head size (118) and head heavy, but it has control and generates amazing spin!

Just demoed 3 Head racquets and I really liked the Liquidmetal Radical OS. I think I'm sold. And I can buy it for $70. :)

flashfire276
08-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Just demoed 3 Head racquets and I really liked the Liquidmetal Radical OS. I think I'm sold. And I can buy it for $70. :)

That's great! Really good choice too!

You know, if you hunt around the the classifieds on this forum, you can get the LM Radical OS for around $40!