PDA

View Full Version : Racquet for a former 5.5 teen

perfmode
04-17-2004, 01:05 PM
I retired from playing international juniors when I was 14 but now (16) I have decided to play competitively for my school I am looking for a set of nice racquets. Price doesn't matter, I want the best.

I have an extremely loopy forehand and I like to whip deep spin. I put a lot of kick in my serves and I need a racquet for that. I need a racquet that can help me hit shots on point. I can generate tons of power already. I've been reading reviews and checking out some frames already. So far I am interested in the...

Head LM Radical OS

Head LM Prestige

Babolat Pure Drive Team

Babolat Pure Drive Team Plus

If you could steer me in the right direction, I'd be very happy. Thanks.

**edit**

My former racquets were the Wilson HyperHammer 5.3's and I really liked them. Which of the above who be similar?

sanitarium
04-17-2004, 01:27 PM
hey, personally i'm not a huge fan of babolat, and I like the prestige more than the radical, but also I believe the LM Prestige Midplus is suited for your game:

It gives a really huge spin/kick on second serves you'd like
Once you put a bit of lead tape on 9/3 it makes it a really solid racquet, so with your head speed you'd find really excellent control

Essentially the radical is designed for control as well, but I think the prestige will give you more pop and spin on serves and better control on groundstrokes.

Anything else just ask

perfmode
04-17-2004, 01:45 PM
Also, I measured my hands and my hands are much larger than anything available in current racquets. The length of my middle finger from my palm alone is 4".

I measured from the crease in my palm to the tip of my ring finger and it is 5 1/4". I looked at the example and I put the measuring tape right no the crease that they showed.

Do racquets come in 5 1/4" grips or will I need to modify it for it to fit? Are there stores that will enlarge the grips for me?

I will post a pic of my hand as soon as I get a chance.

Another thing, I am thinking about stringing one stick w/ Babolat VS Natural Team Gut and the other with the best synthetic gut I can find (for wet days). If I do this, what tension difference should I have for the racquets to feel somewhat similar? Is this a smart thing to do or should I just string them both with Natural and have one set aside for rainier days while having a nice, crisp racquet for dry days? In this case, price does matter because I don't want to replace my Natural Gut just because I used it on a damp court.

Feņa14
04-17-2004, 02:23 PM
I am the same age as you and currently a 5.0-5.5 player and use the LM Prestige and I find it ok but find spin very difficult to achieve.
It's nothing compared to my old POG mid (which i'm going back to) so if you want spin and accuracy (it's also very comfortable) then this is the racket for you. I also feel like the Wilson Tour 90 or 95 with lead tape on the 95, will give you a similar result.

Let us know how it goes!

Liam

sanitarium
04-17-2004, 02:41 PM
liam could you answer a bit for me on the lm prestige?
mainly how you find it regarding
1st / 2nd serves ( with lead tape)
Top spin, assuming a good string built for control and power.

perfmode
04-17-2004, 02:45 PM
What is the POG mid? Also, have strings and tension do you have on the Prestige?

I plan on using Natural Gut and high tension.

Feņa14
04-17-2004, 03:03 PM
The POG mid is the Prince Original Graphite mid, and it is possibly the greatest racket of all time.

I found the LM prestige to produce a lot of power on the serve but not enough spin for my liking, probably because I am used to the POG mid.

You can't beat a classic!!!

Liam

sanitarium
04-17-2004, 06:45 PM
well i ordered the lm prestige so i'm interested in that one :)

perfmode
04-17-2004, 09:27 PM
I think I am going to buy a couple Prestiges. Should I string both with Natural Gut or should I string only one so that I have a stick to use on a rainy day or to let a friend borrow?

Smashlob
04-18-2004, 08:09 AM
Try a couple demos from TW before you buy. Only you can decide what you like, and two racquets is a large leap of faith based on a few posts in a forum.

Personally, I am a 5.0-ish junior and I use a Dunlop 300g, but I have it weighted all over the place. I use much less spin.

perfmode
04-18-2004, 09:09 AM
Do a lot of people use weights on their racquets these days? Back when I played, no one really messed with weights.

ps 6.0
04-18-2004, 10:16 AM
I'm not a fan of Bab's but I really think that you should try out the PD Std or plus. with a pension towards the PD Standard. It really helps with the spin but doesn't take away from power like the Prestige does.

perfmode
04-18-2004, 06:28 PM
Which racquet will feel more like a Wilson HH 5.3 that was 3points head heavy?

kreative
04-18-2004, 07:13 PM
none of those will feel like the hh 5.3. if you like the hh 5.3, you can still get them on tw i think. otherwise, try the h tour, hyper hammer 6.3, or original skunk (hammer 6.2). have also heard some good things about the hyper hammer 5.2 (orange one)

perfmode
04-18-2004, 10:28 PM
Which racquet would have a more forgiving sweetspot?

LM Radical OS
LM Prestige MP
Babolat Pure Drive Standard