PDA

View Full Version : Yonex RD002 Tour Vs RDiS 200 Vs URD Ti 80

Herve
07-15-2010, 01:04 AM
Dear Players and Yonex fans,
I'm a former College player who has started to play serioulsy again after a long hiatus (Life happened, all worth it though!).
I am currently based in Dubai, so testing rackets is not an option. I know that feedback can be suggestive, however your input would help me make a decision.
I currently use a Yonex RD 002 Tour SL, with Babolat Hurricane (Mains 60) and Excel (Cross 58) strings. I have to say that I *love* this stick, despite the fact that it can be demanding at times and requires a lot of concentration on every shot.
After years of playing with RQ series, I found that the RD provides a feel (classic Yonex soft pop) that is much gentler on my ageing arm!
I was disappointed that Yonex discontinued the 002 Tour, and the only options are either:
RDiS 200 Heavyweight or the recently re-introduced URD Ti 80.

Based on your experience, if you were to find a replacement for the 002 Tour, would you go for the URD Ti 80 or the RDiS 200? Which of these provides a similar feel, and is perhaps more forgiving than the 002 Tour?

Many thanks in anticipation for your valuable input.

Herve

ayuname
07-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Try the RDiS 200. I'm pretty sure it would feel similar to your RDS002T.

Although, I'm pretty sure the URD Ti 80 is similar in specs to the RDS002T.

blipblop
07-16-2010, 11:07 AM
according to this chart from Yonex, the rd-ti 80 is closer

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h81/ccadayi2ok/talk%20tennis/matrix.jpg

although, i don't know what the vertical axis (hard vs. soft?) represents.

also, i recently got into the rds 002 tour SL and it is a beast. so solid. i say you stick with those until they break.

Mansewerz
07-16-2010, 12:19 PM
I think TW was selling some RDS002Tour demos.

TennezSport
07-16-2010, 01:46 PM
according to this chart from Yonex, the rd-ti 80 is closer

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h81/ccadayi2ok/talk%20tennis/matrix.jpg
although, i don't know what the vertical axis (hard vs. soft?) represents.
also, i recently got into the rds 002 tour SL and it is a beast. so solid. i say you stick with those until they break.

I am sponsered by Yonex so I am in the same situation that you are and I recently tested the RDiS200 HW and have to say that I agree with the chart. The URD80T is much closer to the RDS002T. The RDiS200 just did not have that solid feel and off center shots lack any power, even strung at lower tension.

I found that the RDiS100 actually felt better, so for now I am sticking with the RDS200T until they come up with a real replacement. If I have to I can fall back on the RDiS100MP; good luck.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

XFactorer
07-16-2010, 02:57 PM
The RDiS 200 isn't really going to be reminiscent of the RDS002. I play with the 200 and have played with new Ti-80. I'd say go for the Ti-80.

Herve
07-18-2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks All for your input. I suspected that the Ti80 was closer. I guess I'll have to order one and have it shipped over to find out for good. Even **** is out of 002 Tour.

I did handle a RDis 200 (lighter version) whilst in the UK, and it doesn't feel right, at least not by 002 Tour standards. This might explain why Yonex re-introduced the URD Ti 80? For all the 002 Tour users for whom the RDiS 200 is not the natural
upgrade path. That's just me speculating.

Again, I am very grateful for your take on it.

Take care,

Herve

Herve
07-18-2010, 08:48 AM
I am sponsered by Yonex so I am in the same situation that you are and I recently tested the RDiS200 HW and have to say that I agree with the chart. The URD80T is much closer to the RDS002T. The RDiS200 just did not have that solid feel and off center shots lack any power, even strung at lower tension.

I found that the RDiS100 actually felt better, so for now I am sticking with the RDS200T until they come up with a real replacement. If I have to I can fall back on the RDiS100MP; good luck.

Hi Tennez,

What tension would you suggest for the URD Ti 80 to "emulate the feel" of the RDS 002 Tour? Do you think the 80 needs to be strung at a slightly lower tension? I understand you don't use an 80 yourself but you might have an idea. In the meantime, I'll hang on to my 002 Tour (only 3 of them) until a crack tears us apart...

Cheers,

Herve

TennezSport
07-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Hi Tennez,
What tension would you suggest for the URD Ti 80 to "emulate the feel" of the RDS 002 Tour? Do you think the 80 needs to be strung at a slightly lower tension?

Hey Herve, I would not change the tension from what you are using now, as changing too many things will only result in confusion. The specs between these racquets are so close that I would string it at a tension you know and test from there.

Yonex RDS002 Tour Specs
Headsize: 98 sq. in.
Length: 27.00 in.
Weight (strung): 12.25 oz.-SL / 11.60 oz.-UL
Stiffness (Babolat RDC): 62
Balance: 12.40 in. Head Light-SL / 12.50 in. Head Light-UL
Cross Section: 20mm Head/19mm Throat
Swingweight: 325 kg*sq. cm-SL / 321 kg*sq. cm-UL
String Pattern: 16x19
Grip: Yonex Synthetic

Yonex URD TI 80
Headsize: 98 sq. in.
Length: 27.00 in.
Weight (strung): 12.3 oz.
Stiffness (Babolat RDC): 60
Balance: 12.50 in. Head Light
Cross Section: 19/20mm Tapered Beam
Swingweight: 330 kg*sq. cm
String Pattern: 16x19
Grip: Yonex Synthetic

I understand you don't use an 80 yourself but you might have an idea. Cheers,
Herve

Yeah, I am not sure that the URD TI80 is going to be around that long, it may just be a hold over until Yonex comes up with a new replacement. I keep asking and they are not saying anything which makes me think that something is in the works. I have 9 002Ts which will hold me awhile.

Subprime
07-23-2010, 08:17 AM
Hi - I played with the RDS002 Tour SL for about 3 years, tried out the RDiS100 90 and 98 for a month, hit for a few hours with the URD-Ti80 (and incidentally played with the RDS100 90 and 98 before the 002T). I actually also have been hitting with the Dunlop Aerogel 4D 200 for a few months but I've been getting elbow pain and so have picked up my Yonexes again (I never had elbow pain with them). The Dunlop swings nicely and as other posts on this board have also remarked, has a solid "old school" feel. It actually felt good the first time I hit with it and my hitting partners have said that I hit a heavier ball with the Dunlop compared with the RDS002T. I didn't like the RDiS100 at all; it felt strangely muted and didn't get the feedback that I got from my other Yonexes and the Dunlop. I'm still not sure what to make of the URD-Ti80. It felt slower through the air than the RDS002T, is very controlled, holds the ball well and feels very solid, but provides less feedback than the RDS002T. I really want to like it (probably the Paradorn connection) and will give it some more time. Interestingly, the Ti-80 that I picked up from TW has "US" after the model name on the frame, whereas it doesn't appear on the frame on the Yonex Japan website. As for stringing, I generally have poly mains @55, gut crosses @58.

Mansewerz
07-23-2010, 09:33 AM
I thought the RDS002Tour was 65 ra...

Herve
07-26-2010, 06:27 AM
Hi - I played with the RDS002 Tour SL for about 3 years, tried out the RDiS100 90 and 98 for a month, hit for a few hours with the URD-Ti80 (and incidentally played with the RDS100 90 and 98 before the 002T). I actually also have been hitting with the Dunlop Aerogel 4D 200 for a few months but I've been getting elbow pain and so have picked up my Yonexes again (I never had elbow pain with them). The Dunlop swings nicely and as other posts on this board have also remarked, has a solid "old school" feel. It actually felt good the first time I hit with it and my hitting partners have said that I hit a heavier ball with the Dunlop compared with the RDS002T. I didn't like the RDiS100 at all; it felt strangely muted and didn't get the feedback that I got from my other Yonexes and the Dunlop. I'm still not sure what to make of the URD-Ti80. It felt slower through the air than the RDS002T, is very controlled, holds the ball well and feels very solid, but provides less feedback than the RDS002T. I really want to like it (probably the Paradorn connection) and will give it some more time. Interestingly, the Ti-80 that I picked up from TW has "US" after the model name on the frame, whereas it doesn't appear on the frame on the Yonex Japan website. As for stringing, I generally have poly mains @55, gut crosses @58.
Hi Subprime,
I have to agree with you on the Yonex being gentler on the arm. Never had any arm or elbow pain with my 002 Tour. pLease keep me updated about your feelings towards the URD ti80. I'm interested to know how your experience with those frames develop.

another question: is the urd ti 80 made in japan like the other top of the range yonex?

cheers

herve

Subprime
07-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Sure. Brief update on the rd ti80. It feels heftier than the 002T, but is still manoeuverable. I can hit good heavy serves with it, and get decent variety on groundstrokes. I don't hit with a ton of topspin and don't have huge racquethead speed, but I feel that I can still get depth when I want it. So, I'm starting to feel that it is a good racquet for my playing style. Will be playing again tues or wed and will update later in the week.

Subprime
07-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Btw it has "JAPAN" on the buttcap as per the 002T (and the other Yonexes I've played with)

basil J
07-26-2010, 12:06 PM
TI 80 is a fantastic frame once you get dialed in with the right strings & tension. It is hefty& but solid in all areas. Not the spinniest racquet I ever hit with, but produces a nice heavy ball in the hands of the right player. I thought the level of control was much better with the TI 80 than with the more powerful 002 Tour.

Herve
07-27-2010, 12:04 AM
Basil, Subprime,
would you recommend a full VS Gut setup on the ti80 or can I keep my hurricane / excel setup which works well on my 002 Tour?
I currently string at 62/60 on the 002 Tour, would a full gut at 60/58 work bext on the ti80?

thanks

herve

vndesu
07-27-2010, 12:58 AM
im just wondering but have you tried the rqis tour 1?

basil J
07-27-2010, 05:44 AM
Full gut on the TI 80 is great but I found much greater control with a gut/poly or gut/ synthetic hybrid. I like full gut more for the comfort, but for control and spin I got better results on both the TI 80 and the 002T with gut/synth hybrids.
60/58# or 58/56# depending on string type was my preferred tension.

Subprime
07-27-2010, 11:07 AM
I've not used full gut before (maybe once in a fischer many many years ago). I have strung my 002T's with gut on the mains and big ace or alu rough on the crosses. I find this setup a little too soft compared to having mono/poly on the mains.

ervinxhufka
07-27-2010, 06:27 PM
I tried many set-ups on my Rd Ti-80 and the best was WC Scorpion/Forten Sweet 16 at 50/55 lbs. It feels great.
I use power pads and babolat dampener.
Spin, comfort and power. SPPP/Forten work the same too, just hate the orange colour in my Red and Blue URD 80 versions.

adso1973
08-13-2010, 08:34 AM
Hi All, as this post has gone more to the RDTI80 vs RDS002T side, can anyone share experience between the RDS002T and RDIS200T.
thanks!