PDA

View Full Version : Doubles--the equalizer?

AmericanTemplar
07-15-2010, 08:14 AM
I'm consider myself more of a singles player than a doubles player. One thing that I notice though is that I can play doubles against people who are at a lower level than I am & still have a decent match. Is that normal or do I just suck at doubles? I guess that one of my greatest assets as a singles player is my movement & that becomes less important in doubles. So I guess my question is, in your experience: is doubles somewhat of an equalizer?

albino smurf
07-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Probably depends on your style of play. Baseliners yes, serve and volleyers less so. I've been getting into doubles lately and am starting to really dig the different dynamics you encounter playing dubs plus it expands the singles game a lot, making service returns more accurate and volleying skills improvement.

ohplease
07-15-2010, 09:41 AM
They're different games. Good singles players are not necessarily good doubles players and vice versa.

Movement is very important in doubles, but the patterns of movement are very different than in singles. If you're not leveraging movement in doubles, you're likely not really playing doubles, but rather singles with 4 players instead of 2.

It's like the difference between 1-on-1 basketball vs. 3-on-3 or 5-on-5 - it's just different.

dave333
07-15-2010, 09:43 AM
The main thing about doubles is that lobbing can really be an equalizer. Unless the other team has truly phenomenal overheads, a team with good movement and good lobs, even with bad serves and everything else, can push your "standard" good team fairly far because it prevents the aggressive play that makes good doubles players good.

I was in this situation before as the two seed playing against qualifiers in a doubles state tournament (high school). Only lost four points in the first set and dominated with poaches, but the next set was one of the most irritating sets I ever played because they started hitting great lobs on every shot and one of us was always forced to stay back and lob back to them as well.

Lobbing well can take a doubles team pretty far though, even if the rest of their game isn't that good. Having two people who are quick and can throw the ball up in the air to have more time makes lobbing very effective.

albino smurf
07-16-2010, 04:51 AM
lobbers are knobbers. effective pains in the *** yes, but nothing worse then a set of lob to lob to lob to lob.

LetsGoRoddick
07-16-2010, 05:04 AM
I think point wise I play better in singles. Sometimes in doubles I can disengaged/disinterested in the point. I feel like I can control the point better in singles too(in doubles the extra player at the net kinda hampers my setup for a big forehand). Granted I've lost many matches in singles because I need to work on the winner %, but the point control is there at least.

Lobs are very important in doubles. If you play a lot you should definitely practice the lob. Also, your net game is obviously very, very important to doubles. If you're a baseliner, and you're forced to camp the net half the time in doubles, obviously you're going to feel a little uncomfortable or timid at the net.

But here's something to think about too: how is your partner playing? Is there good communication between you two between points and when the ball is heading your way?