PDA

View Full Version : Heat and Racquets

BC1
07-15-2010, 09:47 AM
I have a bad habit of leaving my tennis bag (with racquets) in the car day and night. Living in Florida with 90-100 temperature - What harm can extreme heat do to your racquets and/or strings?

vb2374
07-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Can probably harm both. I think it's the rapid change in temperature that would be most dangerous to the racquet though.

pyrokid
07-15-2010, 09:58 AM
when I play outside even, I've noticed my racquets heating up.
I don't know if it's okay or not either.
They don't feel hotter than 100, but still, it worries me.

Irvin
07-15-2010, 10:00 AM
I have a bad habit of leaving my tennis bag (with racquets) in the car day and night. Living in Florida with 90-100 temperature - What harm can extreme heat do to your racquets and/or strings?

I have no personal experience with this, but if you want quick first hand knowledge put them in the oven at about 375 for 15 minutes per ounce. If you would like the process to take a little longer leave them in your trunk.

Irvin

coolblue123
07-15-2010, 10:05 AM
Been talked about:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=217069&highlight=strings

kenny22
07-15-2010, 10:18 AM
i would get a bag with climate control compartment then they will be good.

BC1
07-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Been talked about:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=217069&highlight=strings

Thanks for the link to the thread - interesting comments there - mostly about the effect on strings.

Here was one of the posts, "20 minutes in a closed up car/trunk on a hot day and you've lost about 20% of the energy of the strings, never to return again ... strings are plastic under tension."

Not sure if there is any truth to that - but it's interesting none the less.

Regardless, I guess it's obvious to keep them in the A/C whenver possible.

BC1
07-15-2010, 10:33 AM
I have no personal experience with this, but if you want quick first hand knowledge put them in the oven at about 375 for 15 minutes per ounce. If you would like the process to take a little longer leave them in your trunk.

Irvin

LOL - actually that really would be a fun experiment (the oven thing).

Irvin
07-15-2010, 02:10 PM
LOL - actually that really would be a fun experiment (the oven thing).

You are out of your everlovin' mind dude. It is entirely possible you may be crazier that I am, and that is prrrrit-T-bad. If you do that experiment don't try it in a microwave oven and stand there and watch through the window. LMAO Reminds me of when I heated an Arby's sandwich in the microwave in the aluminum wrapper. Big mistake. Now I am really LMAO.

Here is my serious side coming out now and that it does not happen very often. If you walked into a dog pound looking for a dog and they told you the four pit bulls in a cage were vicious dogs that were going to be put to sleep would you believe them? Or would you push the gate open so you could go in and pet them? Don't answer that question.

It does not make sense to me not to believe someone that you really feel is more than likely telling you the truth just to see if they are.

Irvin