PDA

View Full Version : advice on racquets similar to feel of Surge

laff66
07-15-2010, 09:17 AM
I've got an old Wilson ncode npro surge that I was using to practice with my new stringer, and it turns out that I like it WAY better than any of my other racquets now. I've been playing with APD's, and I just feel way more confident swinging out with this thing, and really love the feel. I don't know if its an ncode thing, a wilson thing, or what?? I've put the same strings in all my other racquets and still like the surge. My question is, has anyone had experience with this racquet and can recommend other new models that feel similar? I'd like it to be heavier and recently demoed the Pro Tour BLX and six.one 95 BLX. They're somewhat similar, so maybe its just a wilson feel I prefer, but I still kinda like the surge. I guess I could scrounge up several old ones somewhere, but if someone could suggest something a little heavier with a similar feel I'd be extremely grateful.
I'm going to try the 4D 300 Tour, and maybe even the Surge BLX, but its pretty crazy light. Maybe I'll try some of the K Factors as well since they're still available new??

tarkowski
07-15-2010, 08:45 PM
I've got an old Wilson ncode npro surge that I was using to practice with my new stringer, and it turns out that I like it WAY better than any of my other racquets now. I've been playing with APD's, and I just feel way more confident swinging out with this thing, and really love the feel. I don't know if its an ncode thing, a wilson thing, or what?? I've put the same strings in all my other racquets and still like the surge. My question is, has anyone had experience with this racquet and can recommend other new models that feel similar? I'd like it to be heavier and recently demoed the Pro Tour BLX and six.one 95 BLX. They're somewhat similar, so maybe its just a wilson feel I prefer, but I still kinda like the surge. I guess I could scrounge up several old ones somewhere, but if someone could suggest something a little heavier with a similar feel I'd be extremely grateful.
I'm going to try the 4D 300 Tour, and maybe even the Surge BLX, but its pretty crazy light. Maybe I'll try some of the K Factors as well since they're still available new??

The closest to the nPro Surge in the BLX line up is the BLX Pro Open. It sounds like you tested the Tour, which is a smaller head and more dense string pattern. You are correct, the current Surge is pretty light... and no longer comparable to the nPro Surge you have. I'd give the BLX Pro Open a shot.

laff66
07-15-2010, 10:53 PM
I hit with the box pro open tonight and it feels completely different. I also hit with a friends ncode Ntour two and it had the same feel as the surge--maybe it's just the feel of the ncode racquets I like??
I also played with a Dunlop 4D 300 and it had a nice solid, almost soft feel like the surge. Only problem was that I couldn't get squat for speed or spin on my serve, which usually is not an issue.
I'm currently scrounging the classified ads for an ncode nori open or open x to try.

BC1
07-16-2010, 07:36 AM
Obviously you are liking your Surge, so itstead of switching racquets entirely, you may want to try the kfactor Surge. Yes it is light, but it might be similar to your current surge, and for the great price ($99 on the TW site) you can't go wrong. And you can always add lead if you need more weight.

laff66
07-16-2010, 10:01 PM
hmmmm, may have to look into that...