PDA

View Full Version : Head Youtek Radical MP/18x20 for a Woman

aisaacso
07-15-2010, 02:47 PM
I've been demoing the Head Youtek Radical MP but I'm concerned with a comment the tennis store made that less than 10% of 18x20 strung racquets are purchased by women. I play with a Wilson Head Hammer now and am looking for something more arm friendly. I'm in my 50's and like to hit hard serves and would like to develop more spin on my shots. I currently hit with a lot of top spin. I'm finding my shots feeling more solid with this racquet but my serves are not as hard and I have a hard time with backhand volleys.

Any suggestions on:
* 18x20 strings for women or players like me?
* Other racquets that may be a better fit for me?

I also liked the Prince EX03 white but it didn't seem to have the same power as the Radical. I can generate my own power and am a 3.5-4.0 player.

pyrokid
07-15-2010, 03:06 PM
it's fine.
I would recommend also demoing the other radical versions though. You could get others very cheap, and it would be even better if you liked them more.

aisaacso
07-15-2010, 03:23 PM
I've heard the Youtek technology is better on your arm than the previous Radical technologies, so that's why I'm thinking of paying that "premium" for Youtek vs the other Radicals. Or are you suggesting trying the other Youtek version like the OS and the lite? I thought they also may not be as good for my arm.

vsbabolat
07-15-2010, 03:26 PM
I've been demoing the Head Youtek Radical MP but I'm concerned with a comment the tennis store made that less than 10% of 18x20 strung racquets are purchased by women. I play with a Wilson Head Hammer now and am looking for something more arm friendly. I'm in my 50's and like to hit hard serves and would like to develop more spin on my shots. I currently hit with a lot of top spin. I'm finding my shots feeling more solid with this racquet but my serves are not as hard and I have a hard time with backhand volleys.

Any suggestions on:
* 18x20 strings for women or players like me?
* Other racquets that may be a better fit for me?

I also liked the Prince EX03 white but it didn't seem to have the same power as the Radical. I can generate my own power and am a 3.5-4.0 player.

Yes, 18x20 is fine for women. If you are in the U.S. Tennis-warehouse has a demo program that you can use and demo racquets that your local shop does not carry. Demo the YT Radical MP and compare it to these demos also:
Dunlop Aerogel 4D 300
Volkl Powerbridge 10 Light
Volkl Powerbridge 9
Wilson BLX Six.One Team
I think those are some good frames to demo along with the YT Radical MP so you can compare.

pyrokid
07-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Myself and many others have found the microgels to be softer than the youteks.

aisaacso
07-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Do you think the microgels absorb vibrations as well as the Youteks? I probably should test a microgel -- they would be much less expensive.

pyrokid
07-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Microgels felt more solid, more flexy, less hollow and metallic, and less powerful.

Visene77
07-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Microgels are a steal at their current price no doubt. Very very similar to the youtek.

In no way shape or form would I say the microgel is MORE solid LESS hollow and metallic and LESS powerful.

Money out of the equation youtek without a doubt.
Money in the equation microgel without a doubt.

esgee48
07-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Nothing wrong with a female using a Radical, in whichever flavor. You can always add small amounts of lead to the 3-9 position to improve serve, SW, stability. Not much is needed, in the area of 1-4 gms.

NLBwell
07-15-2010, 09:07 PM
For more spin, try the Radical Pro with a more open (16main) string pattern.

Kam2010
07-16-2010, 03:41 AM
I have a youtek speed mp 18x20 and its a friendly racket I tend to bash the ball a lot and serve with pace I have had no problems what so ever with arm shoulder etc.

Its not a heavy racket at all, when swinging its a lot easier than the other rackets I have I can generate a lot more pace on the ball. Serving its brilliant can generate more power.

Overall this racket itself if you really want it and are really unsure than what I would do is if you go to a tennis club or wherever see if someone can let you either hit with it or see if you can demo one.

justsomeguy
07-16-2010, 04:02 AM
I've been demoing the Head Youtek Radical MP but I'm concerned with a comment the tennis store made that less than 10% of 18x20 strung racquets are purchased by women.

10%, huh? What, do they track this in their computer or something? What percentage of gay latino men over 65 play with an oversize?

Sounds like a crappy place to do business with. I would find a new store. GL with your new stick.

byealmeens
07-16-2010, 07:18 AM
aisaacso,

I find the 18x20 pattern is better suited for players hitting a flatter ball. If you want more spin, I'm not sure the Radical is your best bet. And yes, the 18x20 pattern will have less pop as well but more control, so you may want to consider a more open pattern if you want added spin and power. Also, many feel the denser patterns are less arm-friendly than open patterns, especially strung tighter or with poly. And for your information, I know many women that play with 18x20 patterns, and the ratio is not that different from men (despite what you've been told). I think it's more a question of personal preference than gender.

As for options, if you decide you like the control of the 18x20, but need more power or spin, you could try the Youtek Radical OS. It has an 18x19 pattern which is little more open along with a 107si head size. If you don't like the larger head size, you could try the Youtek Instinct, which has the 18x19 pattern as well but with a smaller head (100si) similar to the Radical. If you want to try something heavier, the Youtek Speed MP frame (as mentioned by others) is very solid in 18x20, but comes in a different grip shape with stiffer layup (which may not be as arm friendly per se). And lastly, if you change your mind and want to go back to a lighter, open pattern, and more powerful frame, try the Youtek Extreme - 100si with 16x19 pattern with higher stiffness for more power (especially on serves).

If you like Head racquets, and enjoy the Youteks, there are many options in their current line. Many of these frames come in "lite" versions as well and heavier "Pro" versions, and others such as the Youtek Speed MP come in both 18x20, 16x19. Hope some of this helps ... Best of luck!

pyrokid
07-16-2010, 08:10 AM
Microgels are a steal at their current price no doubt. Very very similar to the youtek.

In no way shape or form would I say the microgel is MORE solid LESS hollow and metallic and LESS powerful.

Money out of the equation youtek without a doubt.
Money in the equation microgel without a doubt.

Well I was referring only to the radicals.
And when that's the case, what I said is true. Demo both for a few hours with the same strings, and you'll agree with me.

Visene77
07-16-2010, 08:28 AM
I was referring to radicals, I should have used "version". I own them both, microgel and youtek versions. They just feel extremely similar to me.

Either way, both the microgel radical and the youtek radical are outstanding racquets. The OP cant go wrong with either.

Dreamwalker
07-16-2010, 09:37 AM
Either way, both the microgel radical and the youtek radical are outstanding racquets. The OP cant go wrong with either.

Would you include the LiquidMetal Radical MP in that?

burosky
07-16-2010, 09:53 AM
This is where the racket finder from TW comes in very handy. Just plug in the specs you are looking for and it will generate a list of rackets you can choose from.

Based on the info you posted: looking for something more arm friendly, like to hit hard serves and would like to develop more spin on my shots, you probably just need to plug in the flex (probably 59 max) and string pattern (you mentioned 18x20 but for more spin a more open pattern would make it easier like 16x19 maybe). Keep in mind, the swing weight and the balance point will also have an effect on how hard you can serve.

Visene77
07-16-2010, 09:57 AM
LM is great too, feels different than the others.

pyrokid
07-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Would you include the LiquidMetal Radical MP in that?

Also great, but stiffer than the MG and a bit more powerful.

aisaacso
07-16-2010, 10:19 PM
10%, huh? What, do they track this in their computer or something? What percentage of gay latino men over 65 play with an oversize?

Sounds like a crappy place to do business with. I would find a new store. GL with your new stick.
I think the tennis shop was just quoting their customer base purchase tendency of 90% of their closed strung racquets were bought by guys and almost none by women.

aisaacso
07-16-2010, 10:23 PM
I was referring to radicals, I should have used "version". I own them both, microgel and youtek versions. They just feel extremely similar to me.

Does OP mean Ordinary Player? This does make me think I should demo a microgel. It's hard to know whether to believe the hype of the Youtek vs. Microgel. I can get some pretty good topspin on the Youtek Radical.

Visene77
07-17-2010, 08:58 AM
OP was referring to you....since you originated the post. Not calling you ordinary hehe.

The microgel version is worth a demo for sure. Since you played with the youtek already you will be able to get your own perspective on the differences.

And if you find the microgel an acceptable substitute for the youtek version.....you can save a good chunk of money.

hrstrat57
07-17-2010, 09:11 AM
If you can hit it and it makes you smile go for it....I now play Head 18x20 exclusively.....and have owned many variations both radical and prestige. I have yet to find any dogs in that pack.

My mixed partner has 2 radical tour 1997's and an i radical and she hits them nicely....

You need good technique to create a lot of top tho with the tight string pattern.....

I think you could pick up 2 LM rad mp's from TW for the price of one Youtek last time I checked....

Any serious player needs at least 2 frames anyway right?:wink:

Also as others have suggested you might take advantage of the TW demo program which is outstanding......

Good luck with your quest

hrstrat57
07-17-2010, 09:14 AM
LOL! Here you go....2 sweet new sticks for a buck forty.

Doit.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head_Liquidmetal_Radical_Midplus/descpageRCHEAD-LMRAD.html

aisaacso
07-18-2010, 07:19 PM
I went with the newest technology and bought the Youtek Radical MP today -- whew, finally made a racquet decision after a year of looking around. I got the Gamma Playability TNT2 Touch 17 strings at 55 lbs for comfort, pop, and power which will hopefully be easy on my arm while giving me some more power and slice capability with this racquet. I'm excited to play with this combination and hope it's worth the $$'s.

Thanks to all for your input -- I appreciate all the comments and information. There are so many options for racquets and strings!

marosmith
07-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Get the microgel version of the same racket, it is softer and is fine for a woman.