PDA

View Full Version : Blx pro tour or blx 95 18x20

Necroblood
07-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Hey guys I'm out here looking for a new raquet and I've demoed a bunch and came down to two choices. It's either the blx pro tour or the blx 95 18x20.

I play with the kblade tour at the moment, but I've had some really off putting days with it. I just can't get a good second serve with it, and my groundstrokes lack the topspin bite that my opponents have. Its true I can blast flat winners from the baseline but at my level of play there are ppl who are getting the ball back consistently (I'm a 4.5-5.0 right now), and going for flat shots aren't always giving me the best margin of error. I was playing with my father POG mid for a while, but the weird stablizing bar just doesn't offer me the same serving advantages that the kblade did. I could just bomb my first serves with the kblad but not with the POG. I figured it had something to do with changing from a closed string pattern to an extremly open one. Whatever the reason, I ended up breaking my POG mid (It cracked near the head) and now I'm back to playing with the kblade.

What I need is a raquet that holds the 18x20 string pattern but offers me a lot more spin. The BLX pro tour does exactly that, however the BLX 95 18x20 also offers me a higher swingweight which is what I'm used to playing with. I've played with both really and I'm torn on which raquet to choose. Could anyone give me their few cents on these two raquets and how they compare?

As for my game I'm an agressive all courter with a giant first serve, great volleys, great groundstrokes, and a one handed backhand. I've recently started playing tournaments (at the moment I'm still playing L2 but I figure I'll be in the L1 category by end of the summer) and I need a raquet that will go all the way for me. In short a raquet that I won't be dissatisfied with for a long - long time. The kids I hit with get tremendous spin and grind out points from the baseline, and sometimes to keep even with them I can't always play as agressively -- thus I need more spin. I also need the power which the KBlade offered very little of.

Any suggestions guys?

getsby
07-16-2010, 12:57 AM
I too wished to create a similar theme. At the moment I play k-six one 95(18x20) and I search to it for easier alternative. On specs kFactor in accuracy it repeats BLX version. Therefore I have ordered on TW BLX Pro Tour. But I think that a little the lead tape in the handle for Pro Tour will be pertinent.

ryangoring
07-16-2010, 07:27 AM
Pro tour!! In my opinion, you can customize it and with the 96 head I have been able to hit more of spin, weird but true. I too use a 1hbh as well and love playing with them. The weight is just enough, and create my own power so no lack on that for me

getsby
07-16-2010, 07:33 AM
Wilson`s-best sticks for 1HBH in my opinion

Necroblood
07-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Hm so its a general consensus then that the blx pro tour produces more spin than the blx 95? At the level I play spin is a big factor, and I can generate all my power so I'm fine using dense string patterns, however I can't always seem to generate a great level of spin. I need the spin on the backhand side especially since I use variations with my one hander, such as my slice or chip or dropshot. And on the forehand its becoming really important for me to generate a decent level of topspin to keep the ball deep enough in order to get a good margin of error.

What I was interested in the 95 was the swingweight. The TW review really gave this thing a heck of a good rating, so I was wondering if the swingweight would end up helping me at a higher level?

tarkowski
07-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Hm so its a general consensus then that the blx pro tour produces more spin than the blx 95? ...

What I was interested in the 95 was the swingweight. The TW review really gave this thing a heck of a good rating, so I was wondering if the swingweight would end up helping me at a higher level?

Hey Necroblood,

I've recently play-tested both rackets (I primarily play the KPS88 and K90 for a point of reference) and my take is the following:

- Regarding spin, I found it easier with the 95. I much preferred the 95 for it's feel and weight of shot. I think that if a person struggles with the weight of the 95, the Pro Tour might be easier to 'whip' and hence, through technique, may be able to generate more topspin with it.

- If you're a stronger player, I think you'll appreciate the weight of the 95. It's a more solid stick (stock, of course) and provides more in the way of defense with less work. Return of serve comes to mind... blocking with the Pro Tour is not as much fun, requiring a bit more work. I found myself much more consistent with ROS with the 95.

- I don't think the Pro Tour is a bad racket, but I much preferred the 95. Again, my POR are the 6.1 tour sticks so this makes sense for me. YMMV

Necroblood
07-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Hey thanks for the input tarkowski. I too play with usually heavier frames. The KBT which is 11.7 and then the prince tour mid which is 12. something. So looking at it from a weight perspective I found the 95 to have the better weight. I curl 35 pound dumbells so strength and weight don't really matter much since I can wield almost about any raquet.

I've played with both but I got such similar results that its hard for me to do any comparison, and unfortunately it was a 2 day demo with both sticks so I didn't have much time to do a heavy and well thought out comparison. Which do you think had the better volley? And the better serve? Those two things are what I'm looking for in my new choice of raquets.

tarkowski
07-17-2010, 07:28 AM
Hey thanks for the input tarkowski. I too play with usually heavier frames. The KBT which is 11.7 and then the prince tour mid which is 12. something. So looking at it from a weight perspective I found the 95 to have the better weight. I curl 35 pound dumbells so strength and weight don't really matter much since I can wield almost about any raquet.

I've played with both but I got such similar results that its hard for me to do any comparison, and unfortunately it was a 2 day demo with both sticks so I didn't have much time to do a heavy and well thought out comparison. Which do you think had the better volley? And the better serve? Those two things are what I'm looking for in my new choice of raquets.

Hey Necroblood,

Sounds good man. For the Serve and Volley, no question, I find the 95 to be the superior racket. If anything, and this is a stretch because I find the 95 better in every respect, the Pro Tour might be a little more forgiving in long exchanges from the baseline. But for serve and volley, 95 all the way - probably one of the best sticks out there for this type of play. Check out all of the doubles players that use this racket, or an older incarnation of it.