PDA

View Full Version : Yonex RD Ti-80 grip customization

KickServer
05-23-2005, 11:07 AM
I just got a new Ti-80 with grip size of 4 5/8, which is too big for me. I don't want to take off the plastic cover on the handle if the handle can't be reduce down. Does anyone know if it comes with a foam handle? If it does, I'm thinking about shaving it down to match my grip size.

ferrari_827
05-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Yes, the handle is foam or wood (don't quite remember), but I sand papered my handle quite nicely. You'd be surprised how quickly the sandpaper works, so do a little at a time, put the grip back on, test the size, sandpaper some more, etc., etc.

I reduced the size of the upper part of the handle which felt a bit bulky as well.

KickServer
05-23-2005, 12:01 PM
WOW! I just went into the garage and got some coarse sandpaper and started sanding away. I got the size down in between 3/8 and 1/2 easily, then used a fine sand paper to smooth it out. The butt cap now seems a little big, but I can always get a smaller one later. It feels a lot lighter now too. I heard that the ti-80 plays a littlel tinny and unstable so I'm thinking about adding some lead tape to the 3 and 9 o'clock area. any ideas on how much I should add and still keep the swingweight under 335?

ferrari_827
05-23-2005, 12:49 PM
You can add 6-7 inches each at 3 and 9 positions. What works well is putting a 4 inch strip, then centering another 2 or 3 inch piece on top of it. This will increase the weight of the racket by 6-7gms or 0.25oz, so the racket will weigh 12.3-12.4oz.

You can add electrical tape in the handle if you feel you've sandpapered too much (I told you this happens in a hurry !!). I remove all original buttcaps and build up the end with electrical tape to get a flatter buttcap, but this is just personal preference.

LafayetteHitter
05-23-2005, 02:16 PM
What string setups are you guys using in the Ti-80? Demos coming for the girlfriend this week in 3/8 and 1/2 this week.

Scott

eLterrible
05-23-2005, 03:20 PM
I'm a little too nervous to try sanding down my handle, anyone have any tips for it, should i use a sandblock, or what, i need some tips/help before i decide to take sandpaper to my racquet.

KickServer
05-23-2005, 07:20 PM
I'm using a hybrid with Kirschbaum Touch Turbo 17g in the mains @ 62 lbs and Wilson NXT 16 gauge in the crosses @ 65 lbs. The synthetic drops tension faster, so it balances out when you start playing on it. I just came back fom the court and the racquet is awesome. I suggest stringing at a lower tension if you would like more power. I was using some powerful strings, but I didn't feel like there was much power @ high tension, though control was awesome. I had my opponent running like crazy.
To sand down the handle. I first took off the butt cap and then mark off a line around the bottom of the handle for how much I want the handle reduce down to. I found that using a coarse grain sand paper at first works best. I tried the fine grain first and felt it was reducing the size too slow. Once you get it down to about the size you want with the coarse grain sandpaper, use a find grain sandpaper will smooth it out. I was a little worried at first that I might ruin the racquet but once I started sanding it, it was pretty easy.

LafayetteHitter
05-23-2005, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the string comment, I have noted it down. Ferrari what string have you like in the ti-80?