PDA

View Full Version : Lead tape techniques

tim8
05-23-2005, 12:10 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Customizing/customize.html

Halfway down that page, there is a section on lead tape techniques. Under that section their is two different pictures of ways to apply lead tape. My question is: Is their any different or playablitiy in those two techniques? The second one looks like it would stay on better, but the first one can be applied without removing the strings. I was just wondering if there was a difference. I'm going to be adding two 6 inch strips.

Jonnyf
05-23-2005, 12:14 PM
the stuff has adhesive backs (or babolat ones do) and i just stuck it on my PD+ and made slight cuts so they lifted and didn't go onto the bumpy things (maybe grommets don't know if they are) and it seems fine

ffrpg
05-23-2005, 12:21 PM
There is no difference. I recommend doing it the first way if you're experimenting. It's easier to remove the lead tape if you do it the first way. I think it looks better the second way, but I have yet to do it. My racquet is usually strung when I'm about to apply lead tape to it, so that's why I do it the first way.

drakulie
05-23-2005, 03:17 PM
Keep in mind that in the second way of applying the lead you are going to lose wieght.

In other words, if you use a two inch piece of lead and simply cut it in half (the long way), you are not losing any lead from the two inches. The second way, you are losing each piece of lead where there is a hole.

matchpoints
05-23-2005, 03:29 PM
It's also more consistent doing the 2 strip way due to the variance in hole sizes using the one strip method. I doubt anyone could tell the difference since it would be quite minute. I do it using 2 strips and It has yet to fall off in this Texas heat. I think the advantage of the one strip method is that you can cover more area and thus add more weight to a smaller region, but that can be compensated in the 2 strip method by just adding another strip....also 2 strips offer more options and easier to apply remove. Forgot to mention that I use a STYLUS from my pda to rub on top of the tape after applying. It's round but thin enough to get close to the grommets.
Have fun :)

ambro
05-23-2005, 03:37 PM
Not necessarily. You can take out the grommet strip, put the lead on, punch holes with an awl where the grommets are from the inside of the frame pushing the lead into the grommet hole, then replace the grommet strip. You will not lose any weight and it will look much much cleaner.

drakulie
05-23-2005, 03:38 PM
ambro, this is true. I see you will become a powerful Jedi!

hummer23
05-23-2005, 03:50 PM
only problem with that is if you are new to using lead, and you dont really know what you want, you are stuck with that until you pop or cut your strings. you cant put differnt amount or placement, and to take of what you have is a pain in the *****, because you must be careful not to cut string. i like the 2 pieces on each side method, easy to customize it, and easy to change up. for some people, its probobly better if they cant change it, because they mess with it too much however. i find that the 1/4 inch reel is perfect, not too thick so it fits perfectly on all frames in 2 pieces per side format, even ps 85 and tour 90.