PDA

View Full Version : quotes

yellow ball player
07-16-2010, 11:58 AM
apparently, i should have posted here.

"i don't have 35 years of experience but one year of experience repeated 35 times". credit to poster oracle
i liked this one

since i started this, it would be good if i posted the first one but nothing comes to mind right now.

any good quotes that you would like to share?

tennis quotes, coaching, player...or sports in general.

ollinger
07-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Adlai Stevenson, Presidential candidate in the 1950s and notably US representative to the United Nations in the Kennedy administration, when asked about a UN Conference on religion attended by then-Pope Paul and notoriously charismatic religious leader Norman Vincent Peale: "I found Paul appealing and Peale appalling."

ollinger
07-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Benjamin Disraeli, when a Member of Parliament, commenting on another Member whom he had a very low opinion of: "He's like a fly in amber -- nobody gives a damn about the fly, they just wonder how the hell it got there."

SystemicAnomaly
07-20-2010, 11:24 AM
I'm partial to the quote in my signature from a Ani DiFranco song:
Every tool is a weapon -- if you hold it right.

A quote from Albert Einstein:
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

SystemicAnomaly
07-20-2010, 11:33 AM
After 16 straight match losses to Jimmy Connors, Vitas Gerulaitis finally prevailed over Jimmy at the 1979 Masters. This is what Vitas had to say about that win:

"And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Vitas Gerulaitis 17 times in a row"

r2473
07-20-2010, 11:40 AM
A witty saying proves nothing.-- Voltaire

I might repeat to myself, slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound; if I can remember any of the damn things.-- Dorothy Parker

It is better to be quotable than to be honest.-- Tom Stoppard

Misquotations are the only quotations that are never misquoted.-- Hesketh Pearson

The surest way to make a monkey of a man is to quote him.-- Robert Benchley

To generalize is to be an idiot.-- William Blake

Wise men make proverbs, but fools repeat them.-- Samuel Palmer

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.-- Unknown

jswinf
07-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded--Yogi Berra

I hate tennis--Andre Agassi

SystemicAnomaly
07-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical. - Yogi Berra

If you come to a fork in the road, take it. - Yogi Berra

I'm smarter than the average bear! - Yogi Bear

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b5/Yogi2.JPG/200px-Yogi2.JPG (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Yogi2.JPG)http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/19/Yogi_Bear.jpg/220px-Yogi_Bear.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Yogi_Bear.jpg)

Brothers of different mothers?

OKUSA
07-20-2010, 05:10 PM
"Game, set, match, Isner. 6-4, 3-6, 6-7 (7), 7-6 (3), 70-68" - Mohamed Lahyani

pug
07-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such.
-Homer Simpson

SystemicAnomaly
07-20-2010, 11:25 PM
A witty saying proves nothing.-- Voltaire

It is better to be quotable than to be honest.-- Tom Stoppard

The surest way to make a monkey of a man is to quote him.-- Robert Benchley

Wise men make proverbs, but fools repeat them.-- Samuel Palmer

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.-- Unknown

^ Some of my favorites. Ok, now more from the Yogi's:

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.
-Yogi Berra

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. -Yogi Berra

Looky there! It’s a pic-a-nic basket. –Yogi Bear

SystemicAnomaly
07-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Everyone is born right-handed, only the gifted can overcome it.
- Unknown (seen on a T-shirt)

GetBetterer
07-21-2010, 01:54 PM
My signature has helped me win a lot of games, despite the fact that it's from a basketball player (encourages the Self 2 described in The Inner Game of Tennis).

SystemicAnomaly
07-23-2010, 04:35 AM
The future ain't what it used to be. - Yogi Berra

origmarm
07-23-2010, 04:55 AM
I personally like Goran Ivanisevic a lot:

"I played like Kournikova - 20 double faults per match"

"Yes, I said that I would marry if I won Wimbledon, but this is a new century, new rules are valid now"

"I changed my attitude in my head. I had to have a press conference with myself. After I did the press conference, everything was working"

"Every generation has its own Goran," he said. "Safin is close. But I don't understand him sometimes. He's Russian."

I can't seem to find the "three gorans" quote though...that's the best one dammit!

yellow ball player
07-25-2010, 02:07 PM
thanks for sharing everyone, great quotes.

"practice like real, real like practice"-unknown

"a good player usually knows when he has talent, but a great player realizes that he can achieve greatness only if he has other good players around him"--coach K, leading with the heart,p82
tenniswise, i would take the other players as the staff(coach, trainer, nutritionist, psychologist, management....)??

getbetterer, (and systemic anomaly)
thanks for coming back to the new thread, from when i posted in the wrong place.
----My signature has helped me win a lot of games..........the Inner Game of Tennis). ----
could you please explain what this mean? i don't get it. and i don't have the book.
signification of "signature" in this context.

yellow ball player
07-25-2010, 02:13 PM
three gorans' quote anyone?
now i am curious too.

Hidious
07-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Arthur Schopenhauer : The person who writes for fools is always sure of a large audience.

Slayer_of_Kings
07-25-2010, 05:03 PM
A few quotes about Phil Niekro, the great master of the knuckleball:

"Trying to hit that thing is a miserable way to make a living," and "I work for three weeks to get my swing down pat and Phil (Niekro) messes it up in one night." –Pete Rose

"Hitting Niekro's knuckleball is like eating soup with a fork." -Richie Hebner

"Trying to hit [Niekro] is like trying to eat Jell-O with chopsticks." – Bobby Murcer,

Slayer_of_Kings
07-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Although not 'sports related', I love this one:

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon

origmarm
07-26-2010, 12:25 AM
three gorans' quote anyone?
now i am curious too.

Yeah I can't find the interview where he comes up with it first but it's good. The "theory" is here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A615557

Orig

Eph
07-26-2010, 01:44 AM
Adlai Stevenson, Presidential candidate in the 1950s and notably US representative to the United Nations in the Kennedy administration, when asked about a UN Conference on religion attended by then-Pope Paul and notoriously charismatic religious leader Norman Vincent Peale: "I found Paul appealing and Peale appalling."

Good ole Adlai,
"It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."

yellow ball player
07-26-2010, 01:15 PM
thanks orig.
for those who did not check the link, i liked this one:

----First time I cross myself on the match point, I say, 'God, if I miss the first serve, I going to hit another big second serve. And, please, be good.' So then I hit that. 'Okay, no problem. Maybe God is on the lunch, so he didn't see me.'
- On praying for a second serve in versus Henman in the semis; Wimbledon 2001----