PDA

View Full Version : APDGT characterstics help

lefty001
07-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Yesterday I borrowed my friend's APDGT strung with Luxilon Fluoro.
I was amazed on how easy it was to generate spin and power. Balls we dipping in and then exploding off the ground. Felt like I was cheating use this beast.

Even with such spectacular performance, I wasn't too sure about the control aspect of the racquet. What I mean by control is controlling the power and accuracy of placing shots. Any 4.5+ players have any control issuses with the APDGT? Coming from a Yonex RDiS 100MP, I felt it lacked control.

Also is the sweet spot on the APDGT towards the lower hoop of the racquet? Felt like I had to hit the ball towards the lower hoop than my Yonex. Yonex racquets have their sweet spots located more towards the upper hoop. Another thing that kind of bothered me...

Any input will be appreciated.

Falloutjr
07-16-2010, 01:29 PM
I was amazed on how easy it was to generate spin and power. Balls we dipping in and then exploding off the ground. Felt like I was cheating use this beast.

Even with such spectacular performance, I wasn't too sure about the control aspect of the racquet. What I mean by control is controlling the power and accuracy of placing shots. Any 4.5+ players have any control issuses with the APDGT? Coming from a Yonex RDiS 100MP, I felt it lacked control.

Also is the sweet spot on the APDGT towards the lower hoop of the racquet? Felt like I had to hit the ball towards the lower hoop than my Yonex. Yonex racquets have their sweet spots located more towards the upper hoop. Another thing that kind of bothered me...

I use this racquet, and really it's very easy to control, though a bit powerful at first. Then again, using full western on both sides helps tame it. Directional control is no matter, but if you're not quite as acquainted with topspin as I am, I would use at least a poly hybrid at a higher tension until you're used to the rocket launching.

Anton
07-17-2010, 07:12 PM

I'm revising my strokes to play with more spin and angles - I tried APDGT leaded up nadal-style and it really wasn't working for me - it was just too unstable and too wide for my taste. I was shanking more then usual.

Then I tried the RDS001MP with 4g of lead on top of the loop, 16g poly at mid tension and just two overgrips on bare handle - love it!

The whole thing comes out to 335g at 5 points headlight - it's a spin monster - setup, rotate torso and relax the arm - tons of depth and spin. Stability is great for such a low static weight too and it just plows through the ball. Didn't measure the SW but its probably around 340

pyrokid
07-17-2010, 08:16 PM
The APD is ridiculous.
Directional control isn't that bad, but the stringbed was very inconsistent and it felt really bad.
But if you can out up with that stuff it's a really easy racquet tot overpower people with.

flashfire276
07-18-2010, 11:50 AM
It's hard to control your shots with super precision. The APDGT is a really powerful racquet, so you have to use the spin potential to control the ball.

Ross K
07-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Very powerful. Very spinny. Poor control. Serves big. Very nice on 2hbh. Good for leading up. Swings kind of slow imo (don't understand why ppl say it has great racket-head speed? :confused: ). Thick beam. Little touch and feel. Perfect for topsin-laden , b-line bashing... not much else :wink: .

Mr_Shiver
07-18-2010, 08:30 PM
Great racquet if you use spin for your control and enjoy bashing. If you rely more on touch and feel it probably isn't the best choice. The power can become difficult to rein in if you are having an off day or when your strings die.