PDA

View Full Version : weight recommendation for a beginner

Xx PGX!
07-16-2010, 07:13 PM
I am 19 years old, weight about 156 lb. I've been playing for about 7 months, consider my self a 3.5 player and now I am in search for an appropriate racquet, been demoing a lot lately and I've used racquets ranging from 10.9 - 12.0 oz. I was wondering what you guys think is the appropriate weight for someone like me? Thx :)

Dreamcastin
07-16-2010, 07:23 PM
need a little more info if you want helpfull answers. whats your game style, what are your strengths. flat or topspin player, and what dont you like about your current racquet and what is your current racquet.

Xx PGX!
07-16-2010, 07:43 PM
need a little more info if you want helpfull answers. whats your game style, what are your strengths. flat or topspin player, and what dont you like about your current racquet and what is your current racquet.

I like playing at the baseline and like to approach the net when possible. use a lot of topspin and slices. I currently don't have a racquet.

Agent Orynge
07-17-2010, 01:12 AM
The appropriate weight for you is whatever you're most comfortable with. Higher weights are for people who can get the racquet back early and let the racquet do all the work. Does that sound like you?

fuzz nation
07-17-2010, 05:11 PM
The appropriate weight for you is whatever you're most comfortable with.

Case closed.

If you like a frame that feels lighter to you, there may be some extra potential for you to get a quicker/faster swipe at the ball. If you like a frame that feels a little heftier for you, it may have more stability, especially up at the net and also when you hit a slice. These results have been rather consistent with the different racquets I've tried over the years.

You might also like to get generally familiar with the flex and balance that you prefer in a frame. Flex contributes a lot to a racquet's feel along with it's performance. More stiffness can feel a bit more harsh, but also bring more pop to the ball at contact.

Balance has a big effect on the way the racquet handles (maneuverability) when you swing it around. If you look at the balance of most heavier frames, a lot of them are also more head-light than others that are significantly lighter in static weight.

Xx PGX!
07-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Thank you guys soo much. I'll say it again, this forum is very supportive with very friendly members, I'll take in to consideration all of the replies you guys wrote :)