PDA

View Full Version : need advice for a new racquet

udihamudi65
05-23-2005, 01:14 PM
i am a 4.5 agressive player. the vast majority of my shots are ground strokes, but i like to take advantages of good opportunities to approach the net. i hit ground strokes with above avarage spin. i play one handed backhand and use slice strokes on hard to reach backhands and occasionally on backhand approach shots. i hit flat serves with a lot of pace and a small amount of spin and hit second serves with a lot of spin. i am a short player but very fast on the court.
i am currently using the hyper pro staff 6.5 oversize (110). i am pleased with it's spin capabilities and control but it's power seems too low. especially i have trouble generating power on running shots (when it's more difficult to use your body mass to generate pace).

i will be happy to recieve some recommendations.

thanks!

montx
05-23-2005, 02:35 PM
I don't know if this is your type of racquet, but i must say i am pleased with the Volkl 10 Tour MP Gen II. You might want to also look at the ncode six 95, i hear that is a good racquet.

fedex27
05-23-2005, 02:49 PM
pog long body

udihamudi65
05-23-2005, 03:05 PM
the nCode nSix-One 95 looks like a nice choice... thanks

any other suggestions?

could one of the following racquets meet my demands?
1. Liquidmetal 4\instinct\prestige MP
2. Flexpoint radical
3. pure drive\pure drive plus
4. nCode nPro\nPro Surge\nTour
5. Prince O3 Tour

i would be very happy to hear more opinions.

Kana Himezaki
05-23-2005, 04:27 PM
The O3 Tour seems like it'd fit you. It's supposed to have HUGE spin capability, and gives you a little more pop.

I'd tell you to try an RDX500, but I dunno if it would give you more pop. At least demo the SixOne 95, it's supposed to be good for what you're aiming for. Good for hard groundstrokes, and not bad for attacking at net.

Besides the RDX, I also use the Liquidmetal Prestige MP. It's a nice allcourt stick. You can get decent spin, although it has a dense string pattern. It's GREAT at the net, and generates enough depth at the baseline.

The PDs are also fine for groundstrokes, and support heavy topspin. I have never used one though.

Check the reviews on the main TW site, they're pretty in depth.

tarkowski
05-23-2005, 06:58 PM
nTour might be a good option. Although my stick of choice is the n61 18x20, I've demoed the nTour on occasion and found that even though it is quite a bit lighter, swing weight is up and groundies are solid. The (slightly) head-heavy balance extends the sweetspot towards the hoop, and the 1/4 inch increase in length makes it pretty nice on shots hit wide. It has more power than n61, so this helps on those wide shots as well.

udihamudi65
05-23-2005, 09:42 PM
thanks for the replies...
guess i'll have to demo the nCode nSix-One 95, LM prestige MP, nCode nTour, Pure Drive, O3 tour and decide for myself.

any other comments would be more than welcome

Steve H.
05-24-2005, 04:38 AM
all the racquets mentioned are smaller than your 110 sqin 6.5 -- maybe that's OK, but you might want to demo some oversize ones as well. The Prince O3 Red has similar specs to your Wilson, but should have a little more power. Other possibilities would include the Shark oversize and the Volkl Cat V1 oversize.

Another possibility -- have you tried different strings and tensions with your Wilson? If you like it otherwise, you could try a more powerful string and lower tension.

udihamudi65
05-24-2005, 12:41 PM
yes, the head size could be an issue. i always played with OS raquets... it would be very hard changing head size. but still, the raquets you mentioned, appart from the 03 red, seem too powerful. it seems like most 4.5+ racquets have smaller heads. so maybe changing to a smaller head would be essential for improving my game.
guess i should consider the POG OS too-the feedbacks on this raquet are exceptional. it seems so strange that a 20 year old stick could be that good!!! (makes you think that all the new technologies are just marketing spins... hehe).

drak
05-24-2005, 12:55 PM
It is demo time for you. Try the 03 Tour - avery nice all around frame.

Drak

udihamudi65
05-24-2005, 01:16 PM
will try the O3 tour for sure!

donnyz89
05-24-2005, 02:11 PM
babolat pure storm is a great racquet...

for more control go for pure control. very hefty racquet, great for baselineers.

USCfan
05-24-2005, 02:32 PM
Try the AP Drive +...

Kana Himezaki
05-24-2005, 02:37 PM
The O3s would fit him better than the Babolat rackets.

Large, 100 headsize, with a supposed "expanded sweetspot". So hopefully, if it's true, he'll generally be getting the sweetspot he expects from his oversized rackets. The O3s are also supposed to generate huge spin, which is what he wants. I'm not sure on the O3 red, but the tour is also supposed to work well for serves. Meaning he'll have no problems with flat or spin-heavy serves.

The O3 red, I believe, is more of a tweener racket. Meaning probably more power than the tour. They're both fine though. If you have a shorter to moderate length stroke, I'd definitely try the red. If your stroke is moderate to loopy, try the Tour first. They should both be fine though.

TennsDog
05-24-2005, 03:22 PM
I don't think the nCode 6.1 would fit what you're looking for. Perhaps one of the lighter nCode rackets... I would suggest trying the LM Instinct, perhaps even the XL version. That have good power with nice control. It had too much power for my game, where the nCode is just about right (perhaps still a little much).

Tennis312
05-24-2005, 03:33 PM
guess i should consider the POG OS too-the feedbacks on this raquet are exceptional. it seems so strange that a 20 year old stick could be that good!!! (makes you think that all the new technologies are just marketing spins... hehe).

I'll be the seemingly loan voice of decent on this point. Full dislcosure, I've never been a big prince fan, but I don't see what the deal is with the the POG or why it has the small but rabid fan base it has on this board. I think you will be dissapointed with it, compared to what you are currently using or the other racquets you are considering. I demoed it recently (primarly because of the raves here) and found it had little to recommend it other than its "classic" status.

udihamudi65
05-25-2005, 04:08 AM
thanks for all the replies, this is a very helpful forum.
will be demoing the o3 tour and o3 red very soon now (had to order a demo directly from the importer... not in the shops yet where i come from- that is Israel). don't know if such a light head like the tour will be comfortable for me or if the extra power of the red would be too much, but at least i'll get a direction.
once i've tryed them both i'll give some feedback on this thread.

thanks!

p.s.
about the pog... nostalgia is very important to some people... ;)

udihamudi65
05-30-2005, 02:54 PM
altough it wasn't one of my preferred options, i tried the LM Radical OS. nice racquet, plenty of power (maybe even too much), comfortable (though i like a stiffer feel) but i felt it wasn't spin friendly enough for me (checked the TW review and they have the same opinion) so i wont go for that one...

by the way-it wasn't a demo, it was a new raquet. i promissed the guy i would take good care of it and what happends? i probably got too confortable with it and on one of my one handed backhand fast swings it slipped off my hand (it had nylon on the grip so it was more slippery). i probably tossed it 2 meeters up in the air. it came crashing down 3-4 meeters away from me. all i could do is scream "noooo!!!". it's unbelievable but there wern't any apparent scratches (i guess the credit goes for head for a good coating job) and the guy never noticed it happened. so no harm done after all.

bigshark
06-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Did you end up demoing the Prince O3 Red afterall? I'm interested to know what you think about it b/c I'll like to demo that one too.