PDA

View Full Version : Donnay X-series review

Figjam
07-16-2010, 11:56 PM
Ok so ive hit with the yellow, orange, Dark red and black

YELLOW 99: Tourna Big hitter blue 17 @ 63lbs

I strung the yellow 99 today with the sample tourna blue from TW at 63 16x19 pattern(I knew it was going to be a softer string so I accounted for that, as a reference I string my PT57's at 61lbs)

I was surprised by the yellow, it reminded me of when I used to play with the original radical OS (which keep in mind, is what agassi played with through out his career after signing with head) Ofcourse it could have just been the color
Though I usually play with a smaller head, heavier racket, I thought "wow I can acutally play with this!"
I guess this would be more for the type of player that has a more whipy stroke, as I was using more wrist with it, but I adjusted quickly. actually it kind of scared me, I thought "maybe I should go to a lighter stiffer racket.... nahhhhh"
It felt solid, with great control. Id have to put this racket in the range of the POG OS, Pro one OS, OG Rad trysis 270 OS, it definately has a more old school feel, almost like a K90, if they made it in a 99 but a little lighter. If you have solid strokes I think youll love it.
but at the same time the feel was unique too, plenty of power but it didnt feel harsh, didnt need a dampner. Felt really connected to the ball.

ORANGE 99: Suppex Ace 17 at 65 mains, with Gamma Poly xtra 16 @63 crosses
This was again similar to the Yellow, but with a little more weight, but definately a stiffer frame and had some real power. Could really smack some forahand winners with this, Great spin, but with the power, why bother?
This is kinda like a Pure drive power wise, but with control, and with out the harsh feel. I think people playing with rackets like the Pure drive, aeropro, Head extreme or any comparble larger midplus (100-102) will appreciate this one since it will have what they like in those but be a REAL players racket.... maybe roddick should try this one ;-)
too easy to hit winners with this one. also it allowed to still keep the ball in even if I was a little late.

DARK RED 94: Lux BB ace 18, and Silver string 17 X's about 62lbs

this was definately more my style, as I had been playing with the TGK237.2 lately

Great control, and feel, felt much like the TGK, but I felt like I had more control weighed in at about 12.1(same weight I leaded my tgks to) strung with out any additional weight.
great plow through, better for my longer stroke, transition was seamless.
Again a Real players racket, solid, and will certainly be one of the top contenders in the players racket's

then finally the Black 99, it was strung with a Multi at probably mid (55) or so.
Didnt get as much time in with this one as this had the leather grip, and the multis, which are not my preference. That being said. It was the heaviest of the bunch and the softest, had the most "old school" feel, if you have longer "classic" strokes you'll love this one. serves were easy with this one, and they put pace on the ball with out much effort. really easy on the arm too.
Note, this one had a 16x20 pattern vs the 16x19 of the other 99's.
I can see alot of wilson users picking this one up.

Im glad to see rackets headed in this direction. these are like the anti-babolats! power, control, and you'll still have an arm!

I'd kinda put them this way... its like if the head prestige and wilson 90's were merged together and the entire line was based of that formula.

Almost everyone I let try them loved them, from a variety of players using a range of rackets, some liked one racket better than others, but what was a little weird was some of them like a different one than they thought they would.
I think they've got a winner here, these are pretty much as close to pro stock as you can get off the shelf. after playing with these I dont have any doubts they will sell them, no problem.
I was a little unsure at first, I mean I was thinking, how are they just going to come out with a new line, highest price, thinnest beam, and think you're going to have a shot its going to have to be mighty impressive, well I cant find any faults, and it plays as good if not better than the Head PT's,TGKs and Dunlop prostock. Color me impressed.

Its kind of like that susan boyle lady (with MUCH better looks!)
Before: "I dont know....."
After: "and where can i get one?!?!"
Actually I think someone else compared it to the Iphone, and frankly I think that fit perfectly, You want it, and you will buy it if you can(bonus: no AT&T!)

Ill be testing the red 99,red 94, and blue 94 next week, I hope to also get a black 94, which I'm anxious to try along with the blue 94.

jayserinos99
07-17-2010, 12:20 AM
Thanks Figjam for your reviews. Can you tell me what you thought about how each of the frames swung for you? I assume with the thin beam, each of the frames swung through the air really fast.

Agent Orynge
07-17-2010, 01:14 AM
What if... and I know this is a big if... I'm actually content with my current frame?

anirut
07-17-2010, 03:01 AM
I'd love to have one, but too poor for it. Guess I've got to be contend with my old Copper Ace ...

That's just for now, of course.

Thanks Figjam for the mini reviews. Looking forward to more.

Mig1NC
07-17-2010, 03:35 AM
Did you try experimenting with the customization kit?

TennezSport
07-17-2010, 10:36 AM
However, this "review" does have something in common with Babolats - they both sound hollow.

We just completed testing on the entire Donnay line and we got the same results as Figjam. These are the most solid frames on the market today, no other standard production racquets even come close. While I am still concerned about the pricing policy in this economy, Donnay has a real winner here with the XeneCore line; outstanding performers.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

0d1n
07-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Who is "we" ?

Figjam
07-17-2010, 12:07 PM
However, this "review" does have something in common with Babolats - they both sound hollow.

oh you want the "groundies, volley's, serves..." etc do you??
sorry not really my style, I just pick up a racket and if it feels right it feels right, I know people who will pick up a racket and it they dont like it after hitting the ball twice, they will put it down. a racket is like a girl, just because the specs are right, and it does several things well, doesnt mean youre going to get along.

Main thing for me is control, and all of these have a highlevel. It really is like prostock, kinda like the pt57A vs pt57E, here you can get the same racket but with different flex and swingweight, and fine tune it from there.
Put it this way, its one of those rackets where you wont be able to blame your bad shot on it.

Figjam
07-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Did you try experimenting with the customization kit?

well I had the 10g butt weight in the yellow and 5g in the orange and dark red, 0g in the black, with the short weight slides in the sides of the black.

TennezSport
07-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Who is "we" ?

Otherwise we would have to, well you know the rest :twisted:

We are a test group that works for several major manufacturers and the USRSA in testing strings, racquets and accessories, before and after the product goes to market.

Figjam
07-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Thanks Figjam for your reviews. Can you tell me what you thought about how each of the frames swung for you? I assume with the thin beam, each of the frames swung through the air really fast.

They all swung relatively similarly, difference being the weight, the lighter ones, yellow and orange swing the fastest, but they all had that just right feel to them, one of the reasons I liked the old pro ones, felt like and extention of your arm. Almost felt like you were hitting the ball with your palm.
these feel solid with out being harsh, those of you that have silicone in your handle will know what I mean.

Personally I think, im going to like the Blue and black 94's the best since they will have the highest swing weight, and I like having a long stroke and build up that momentum with the racket. But they all have a scalpel like feel.

From what I heard they had a lot of input from RPNY.

Where else can you get a racket with your choice of specs? Im sure we've all been there, "I like this racket but, its missing this spec..."

Mig1NC
07-17-2010, 01:44 PM
They all swung relatively similarly, difference being the weight, the lighter ones, yellow and orange swing the fastest, but they all had that just right feel to them, one of the reasons I liked the old pro ones, felt like and extention of your arm. Almost felt like you were hitting the ball with your palm.
these feel solid with out being harsh, those of you that have silicone in your handle will know what I mean.

Personally I think, im going to like the Blue and black 94's the best since they will have the highest swing weight, and I like having a long stroke and build up that momentum with the racket. But they all have a scalpel like feel.

From what I heard they had a lot of input from RPNY.

Where else can you get a racket with your choice of specs? Im sure we've all been there, "I like this racket but, its missing this spec..."

Figjam & TennezSport, looks like I could take the included weights plus a leather grip and get the same stiffness, weight & balance with the X-Yellow as the X-Red but save ~$20. If I didn't want to get heavier than the X-Red, do you see any reason why one wouldn't just stick with the X-Yellow?

Figjam
07-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Figjam & TennezSport, looks like I could take the included weights plus a leather grip and get the same stiffness, weight & balance with the X-Yellow as the X-Red but save ~$20. If I didn't want to get heavier than the X-Red, do you see any reason why one wouldn't just stick with the X-Yellow?

yeah I can kinda of see that, I did think to my self how the rackets are kinda of close and could almost overlap in some respects. its kina of like a color spectrum, you like the color blue, but you could go with true blue, indigo, or teal, all nice colors, if you like blue. you know?

thejuice
07-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Figjam, thanks for the review. Just when I felt I've found a frame I'm happy with, you drop this on us racquet hoes. Thanks alot!!! :)

Figjam
07-22-2010, 09:22 AM
sorry for the lack of update, will report on the Blue 94, red 94 and red 99 today

JediMindTrick
07-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Figjam, can you please give us some details about adding the included weights? How exactly is this done?

rnrockz1
07-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Figjam, can you please give us some details about adding the included weights? How exactly is this done?

My friend said that they give included butt cap weights for opening the butt cap and putting it in so the handle's and the racquet weight increase..

tennisace23
07-22-2010, 11:49 AM
You use a little key tool to pop out the butt cap and then you just press another one in, just takes a few seconds

djnemo
07-22-2010, 01:56 PM
what about the short weight slides, how do you customize with those. I would want to increase the swingweight, and the buttcaps wouldn’t work for that.

Mansewerz
07-22-2010, 02:01 PM
So are the 94's like 90s?

Figjam
07-22-2010, 02:51 PM
http://i28.tinypic.com/122k9l1.jpg

tennisace23
07-22-2010, 02:59 PM
what about the short weight slides, how do you customize with those. I would want to increase the swingweight, and the buttcaps wouldn’t work for that.

you just slide them in

parasailing
07-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Which one plays closet to the KPS 88?

tennisace23
07-23-2010, 10:43 AM
I've tried the Blue 94, Red 99, Orange 99, and Yellow 99. The blue wasn't for me basically due to the overall weight and balance. I actually found the red to be slightly more powerful than the orange, which I was surprised about, maybe due to the extra static weight. The yellow was somewhat powerful but I didn't feel that it hit as heavy a shot as the red or orange. I, along with some friends who also hit with them, have found them to have a very tiny sweetspot (and possibly slightly low). That probably wouldn't be a problem for someone who hits technically near-perfect strokes with consistent timing and form, but I prefer something a bit more forgiving. Of the four I've tried so far, I like the red 99 the best. I hope to try it with a full bed of multi to see what effect if any that has on off-center shots.

sandflea
07-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Figjam, you said that the Dark Red 94 felt similar to your TGK237.2, did it offer as much spin?

Figjam
07-24-2010, 11:12 AM
sorry about the late reply, I was supposed to hit with the Blue 94 and red 94 yesterday, but was just too tired, will try to give you guys more feedback tonight.
But to give a brief answer id say yes, but I think the Donnay had more control, I felt I didnt have as much control with the 237, as with my Pt57's so I was trying to put extra spin on the ball with the 237, but since i had more control with the Donnay I felt like I didnt have to put as much spin, and I fould flatten out my shots more (which I prefer)
I have to say I was slightly disappointed with the 273, as I wanted more top spin, but not at the cost of control.

sandflea
07-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Stiffness wise... I'm probably one of the few that liked 237.1 better than the pt57a. How does the Dark Red compare stiffness wise the your 237.2 and PT57a?

saigonbond
07-24-2010, 03:08 PM
These are the most solid frames on the market today, no other standard production racquets even come close.

In your opinion, that is...

racquets are all about feel and that is a personal opinion

I would agree, even though you contradicted yourself...

Jonny S&V
07-24-2010, 06:25 PM

I'm in love once again... :-)

Jinx
07-24-2010, 10:29 PM

if only the dark red sported more of a black colour than gun metal, then that would look more sweet imo.

Figjam
07-24-2010, 10:47 PM
if only the dark red sported more of a black colour than gun metal, then that would look more sweet imo.

Well it is "black" chrome, it depends on the lighting.

Figjam
07-24-2010, 11:30 PM
Ok so further review of red 99 and blue 94
Played with the red 99 to start today I'd say its more for the aggressive baseliner with a 2hbh. Id compare it to the BLX pro tour (delpo racket) feels a bit stiffer good top spin, stable on volleys, good for the kick server.

The Blue 94, was more my style with the closed pattern I could bomb flat serves with ease, the racket I could compare to the pt57E, or even perhaps the K90, with a 95 head, I play a 1HBH and felt right at home with this one, sweet spot was a little small, but when you hit it everything is all right!
def one of the most control sticks in the line up
weighed in a 12.2 oz with side slides and 5gm butt.

ok im going to sleep

galain
07-24-2010, 11:44 PM
Nice looking sticks.

HiroProtagonist
07-26-2010, 01:44 PM
So the only negative thing i have heard said about this stick that actually concerns me is the "tiny" sweetspot that has been mentioned.

So my question is did u feel the sweet spot in the 94sqin frames were bigger w a 16x19sp compared to the 18x20?

tennisace23
07-26-2010, 01:52 PM
So the only negative thing i have heard said about this stick that actually concerns me is the "tiny" sweetspot that has been mentioned.

So my question is did u feel the sweet spot in the 94sqin frames were bigger w a 16x19sp compared to the 18x20?

I tried 4 of the racquets (x-red 99, orange 99, blue 94, yellow 99): I agree on the tiny sweetspot. I felt it was equally small in all of them, but of those 4 liked the red the best relative to the others.

Mig1NC
07-26-2010, 04:16 PM
I tried 4 of the racquets (x-red 99, orange 99, blue 94, yellow 99): I agree on the tiny sweetspot. I felt it was equally small in all of them, but of those 4 liked the red the best relative to the others.

Did you try to add the slides to see how much the moved the sweetspot out and up?

tennisace23
07-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Did you try to add the slides to see how much the moved the sweetspot out and up?

I did try this, I was hoping it would stretch the sweetspot but I honestly couldn't notice the difference. Of the one's I tried, I felt the red was the most forgiving, but only relative to the others.

Perfect Tension
07-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Figjam,

Your reviews are really accurate on the Donnay frames. I have played with the Black 99 and the Red 99. It's really hard to compare these racquets to anything on the market. They are stable, yet forgiving. I found myself loving the red while playing doubles. I had it strung hybrid with Klip Optic Nerve and Gamma LiveWire at 56 lbs. I also had the handle weighted with the 10 gram cap. I found myself able to make defensive plays that I was unable to do with my Dunlop Aerogel 300. You know when your caught at the net and your opponent rips a huge passing shot and you stab at the ball to only have your racquet twist up in your hand unable to return the heat... not the case with the Donnay. I found myself able to return tricky shots like that with the red 99. The great thing is that I had NO arm pain after using this players stick. I have the Yellow 99 coming this week and I am excited to try it after your review.

Anton
07-26-2010, 06:12 PM

How was the stability?

Perfect Tension
07-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Stability on the Black 99 was the most stable racquet I have ever hit with. Second most stable on my list (that I have played with) is the Wilson KBlade Tour with the 93 sq/in. headsize. I can't quite explain the forgiveness that this stable racquet has. I haven't found another stable, yet forgiving racquet quite like it. There really is a new era in tennis racquets coming with Donnay's new line.
The Red 99 is also very stable. it feels much the same, only that it plays lighter. I weighted the handle with the 10 gram butt cap and my double's dreams came true. I felt like I could respond to a ball quicker with the red, but if I had time for a full swing, I could pin my target.
I read earlier in the thread that some weren't a big fan of the sweet spot, and here I am claiming that this is a forgiving racquet. Well, I somewhat agree with the sweet-spot size seeming small, but the frame is so stable that off-centered shots are still directed with control. Unlike a tweener racquet where you lose control and send an off-centered ball to the fence, you still have control, just not the power you're used to with a power frame.
Donnay also claims that the strings used on their frames plays a huge role in the overall feel of the racquet. People could be complaining about sweet-spot size when maybe they should be complaining about string selection and tension.

Figjam
07-26-2010, 07:27 PM

yes a tiny bit bigger, but I dont think they are Tiny, just not large. the are bigger on the orange and yellow for sure. You could say the Red has a medium size sweet spot. But id say its comparable to the Wilson K90/blx.

I think im going to keep both the Dk red and the blue 94, depending on the game/opponent.

Still waiting for the Black94
I have a Black99, but its strung at 40lbs with Hurricane 16, for someone else.

HiroProtagonist
07-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Yes i think the Drk Red is my girl, one year from this day I will purchase one lol. About to spend way to much money on racquets and strings as it is.

Thnx for all the great work Figjam.

corners
07-26-2010, 08:51 PM
Stability on the Black 99 was the most stable racquet I have ever hit with... I can't quite explain the forgiveness that this stable racquet has. I haven't found another stable, yet forgiving racquet quite like it. There really is a new era in tennis racquets coming with Donnay's new line.

Hi there, your third post on Talk Tennis is quite an endorsement of Donnay's new line. Do you have any financial, commercial or personal relationship to Donnay or Sports Direct?

Bottom_Edge
07-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Figjam, thanks for the review. Guess these racquets are meant for a niche market ( that means ppl on this forum :) who like to match their specs to the pros. U didnt say which one you liked best tho.

Chanthony
07-26-2010, 09:43 PM
yes a tiny bit bigger, but I dont think they are Tiny, just not large. the are bigger on the orange and yellow for sure. You could say the Red has a medium size sweet spot. But id say its comparable to the Wilson K90/blx.

I think im going to keep both the Dk red and the blue 94, depending on the game/opponent.

Still waiting for the Black94
I have a Black99, but its strung at 40lbs with Hurricane 16, for someone else.

40lbs? is that supposed to generate a lot of power without a fast swing?

Figjam
07-26-2010, 09:44 PM
well I havent thoroughly played with them all. The red 94 is also strung to low for me, and I will probably hit with it some more this week.
Just popped the string in the Dk red and just restrung it with Tour bite 17, will hit wed and throughly test the rest of them
Sofar personally I like the Dk red and Blue94. need to tune the Blue some more.

Perfect Tension
07-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Hi there, your third post on Talk Tennis is quite an endorsement of Donnay's new line. Do you have any financial, commercial or personal relationship to Donnay or Sports Direct?

No, I don't have any connection to Donnay. I'm not familiar with Sports Direct either. I coach a USTA Jr. tennis team and some of my players are demoing these racquets. I have gotten a chance to hit with them (along with a lot of the other current sticks out there) and I think they are great. I have been in contact with Donnay to seek sponsorship for some of my players (so they can afford to buy these racquets). Problem is that their rankings aren't high enough. Hopefully, something can get worked out.
One of my players mentioned this forum to me, so I thought I'd chime in on it. I realize I am a new user... but you have to start sometime right? I've gotten some feedback similar to yours, so without feeling too warmly welcomed, I don't know how long I'll find myself seeking advice on these forums.

sandflea
07-27-2010, 09:58 AM
Perfect Tension, I wouldn't sweat it.... the overall tone of the forum has changed over the past few years probably because of some mis-information on some pro's sticks, which makes some people a little leery about feedback. I would like to welcome you to the forum and look forward to any insights on the new line if you care to share.

Fed Kennedy
07-27-2010, 10:05 AM
These racquets look great but we need someone like break point, pt630 or chris edwards to give a review because the inception marketing "blow up the chat boards" tactic is just weird and a total turn off.

Figjam
07-27-2010, 10:07 AM
These racquets look great but we need someone like break point, pt630 or chris edwards to give a review because the inception marketing "blow up the chat boards" tactic is just weird and a total turn off.

Im the one that started the thread not donnay. and its the many users on here that have "blown it up". So I dont know where you get your skewed perception from.

The Hawk
07-28-2010, 05:41 AM
Well, I don't think Tennezsport ever tried to hide the fact that he works for a company that is going to be selling the new Donnay frames. He may be biased as a result of that affiliation, but I don't see any covert marketing scheme going on. No idea who figjam is, but he sounds to me like a guy who is really interested in rackets, period. By the way, thanks for your insights as well. Oh yeah, I should disclose that I am going to receive two Donnay frames to test on Wednesday, but I am not a retailer or otherwise affiliated with Donnay.

Good luck with the racquets. If Figjam is "just a guy interested in racquets" I'd be surprised. Anyway, there is a rule on this site that someone selling something (which Tennezsport is) may not use the site to promote the product (look up the rules for the site--it is rule number 5). My whole reason for getting involved in all this is that I feel that some people are "stealth marketing" this new product and not revealing what their true mission is and that readers may feel that they "are just interested in racquets" or whatever when they are something very different. I have said all I have to say...I am not for or against Donnay (why would anyone be?), but as a member of the tennis community (far beyond being on this web site!), it troubles me to see people who may not know better being influenced by this kind of talk. And yes, I have played with two of the new Donnay's and they are, like any decent racquet, good for some players and will not fill the bill for others. What I know as someone who has been involved in this game for his whole life (since the age of 8), is that the less knowledgable actually believe that this racquet or that one is "better"--when in fact, there are a series of characteristics best for individuals and if you know your game and are good enough for all of this to make a difference (which I doubt most people on this site are!), the "brand" is not very important--what is important is the characteristics of a racquet and how you modify it to suit you personally.

sandflea
07-28-2010, 05:49 AM
Hawk, I think your views on other members positions have been voiced and forum members can decide one way or another on whether to consider their reviews.

I'm more interested in reviews, including your's... good and bad, so that their is a wider pool of knowledge about the Donnay line. This will help all... but when it comes down to it people have to demo to see if it will work for them. I use other peoples reviews and the specs themselves to narrow down the vast amount of choices out there.

rnrockz1
07-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Seriously ppl, this is ALL HYPE. I've hit with them, and stick with your Head/Babolat/Wilson, etc, though the Blue and the Black are Good.

Some ppl who are saying there "AMAZING" are retailers selling them, or just fanboys trying to advertise for their favorite. The OLD DONNAY does not equal the NEW DONNAY. OLD > NEW.

anirut
07-28-2010, 10:10 AM
Seriously ppl, this is ALL HYPE. I've hit with them, and stick with your Head/Babolat/Wilson, etc, though the Blue and the Black are Good.

Some ppl who are saying there "AMAZING" are retailers selling them, or just fanboys trying to advertise for their favorite. The OLD DONNAY does not equal the NEW DONNAY. OLD > NEW.

rnrockz1, I'm thinking the same. Thanks for the confirmation.

IMO, thin beam makes the frame feel "fast" in your hand. You'd feel like playing an agressive game -- which is good. But I'd rather stick with my good ol Redondo and BlackAce for a long while, simply because they're simple, "basic" and - best of all - lower prices.

In no way I'm knocking on Donnay's quality. I also like thin beams and Donnay name, but as a marketing consultant, I know what's going on. And I smelled it long before I posted the "fishy" thing in the other thread. That's why I mentioned in the other thread that Donnay should hire me as their consultant. If they did it right, things of this sort will not be obvious.

Figjam, I trust that you're honest, and I look forward to your future reviews.

MichaelChang
07-28-2010, 10:45 AM
well im just saying most people I let try them did say they were the most solid frame they hit with, and that they had a different feel than any other racket, im just quoting what others said.
Well Im off to further demo the others as promised.

To be honest, this sounds "hollow" to me. If you are here to post reviews, just post your own opinion. "most people", "most solid frame", "different than any other racket", come on, say something else, something more like a real review.

VGP
07-28-2010, 01:28 PM
...but on the fact that Donnay is being "pushed" aggressively on this web site by at least one person who is a retailer of the product. It is at least food for thought....

Here's more food for thought: you're on a board hosted by a major retailer.....

Figgy, at least I'm actually on the court every day playing "in the big show", doing pretty well, in front of thousands of people (OK, sometimes hundreds), making an actual living at playing competitive tennis, living the life, getting the equipment, traveling, doing what you are dreaming about and posting about over and over and over. And, as you can see from some of the posts coming in, a lot of people agree with me and see you for what you are. I'm off on a long plane trip now, so post away as I won't be able to answer for a while I don't think....

Since you've been kind enough to put this all in bold typeface and appear proud of your on-court accomplishments, care to let us in on your true identity?

rnrockz1
07-28-2010, 02:24 PM
rnrockz1, I'm thinking the same. Thanks for the confirmation.

IMO, thin beam makes the frame feel "fast" in your hand. You'd feel like playing an agressive game -- which is good. But I'd rather stick with my good ol Redondo and BlackAce for a long while, simply because they're simple, "basic" and - best of all - lower prices.

In no way I'm knocking on Donnay's quality. I also like thin beams and Donnay name, but as a marketing consultant, I know what's going on. And I smelled it long before I posted the "fishy" thing in the other thread. That's why I mentioned in the other thread that Donnay should hire me as their consultant. If they did it right, things of this sort will not be obvious.

Figjam, I trust that you're honest, and I look forward to your future reviews.
Exactly. the Donnays are good, but certainly not worth the price, though the Black might be for those big hitters.

Bhagi Katbamna
07-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Figjam, I don't know who you are or what you are up to. Well, I think your intention is only to review the rackets and talk the truth. And you have to understand the people on this forum are not 7 year olds. Believe me, we have seen all kinds of sales promotion covered as "Reviews" blah blah. Some of them are not even funny. For example here TennezSport is definitely promoting the rackets because he is selling them. It is obvious.

Now we appreciate your review, and let's stick to the topic.

Agree with you completely, it's easy to do guerrilla type marketing on web forums.

Figjam
07-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Agree with you completely, it's easy to do guerrilla type marketing on web forums.

Sure But donnay Has a rep signed up here, so he/she could easily be spouting off, but they are not, Infact all of you who are insinuating Msg board, marketing are simply helping to perpetuate it no?

The thread turned from "hey look donnay is back" to "oh no guerrilla marketing!!! look out because you must have a weak mind!"

get over yourself

rohju
07-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Donnay Website is mentioning a beam width for all raquets of 15 mm.
Is this correct ??

HiroProtagonist
07-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Donnay Website is mentioning a beam width for all raquets of 15 mm.
Is this correct ??

Cant wait to see the reaction this gets lmao

Chanthony
07-29-2010, 04:34 AM

How can you compare the old Donnay's with the new one?
Don't you play with a HEAD Prestige?

Chanthony
07-29-2010, 04:34 AM
Cant wait to see the reaction this gets lmao

HAHA!
They are all 15mm.

rnrockz1
07-29-2010, 06:31 AM
How can you compare the old Donnay's with the new one?
Don't you play with a HEAD Prestige?

Yup, but have played with the old ones.

The point is all the Donnays are not worth the money.

Bhagi Katbamna
07-29-2010, 06:41 AM
Sure But donnay Has a rep signed up here, so he/she could easily be spouting off, but they are not, Infact all of you who are insinuating Msg board, marketing are simply helping to perpetuate it no?

The thread turned from "hey look donnay is back" to "oh no guerrilla marketing!!! look out because you must have a weak mind!"

get over yourself

Why are you so defensive?

Having the rep spouting off about the benefits of rackets made by their company would be "obvious" marketing.
So relax, I'm not accusing you or Donnay of anything, just pointing out that it is easy to do guerrilla marketing on the internet.

JoelDali
07-29-2010, 06:45 AM
If these were $199, I'd buy one yesterday.

So would 50,000 other people.

Lower the price guys, we will buy.

But not at anything over the standard rate of $199 for a quality weapon.

These are not sticks that dropped down from the heavens and blessed by random GOAT Gods in the clouds.

Its a fricken tennis raquet.

The price is a big fail.

Even for guys that could easily afford it.

Bartelby
07-29-2010, 07:06 AM
Just wait for the liquidation sale when they go out of business.

If these were $199, I'd buy one yesterday.

So would 50,000 other people.

Lower the price guys, we will buy.

But not at anything over the standard rate of $199 for a quality weapon.

These are not sticks that dropped down from the heavens and blessed by random GOAT Gods in the clouds.

The price is a big fail.

MichaelChang
07-29-2010, 07:12 AM

The price is a big fail.

It is true to a certain degree. However it is a dilemma for Donnay. The fact is if they sell the same type of rackets and at same price, they probably can not compete with the big 3 (Head/Wilson/Prince). So they have to do a different type of marketing. This is a big risk Donnay is taking. Think this has been discussed before.

anyway 299$ a racket is a big risk for most of us racket buyers.

MichaelChang
07-29-2010, 07:14 AM
Just wait for the liquidation sale when they go out of business.

lmao :) I do hope they hang around, because indeed they are doing something different than other racket makers. Whether it is really better or worse, I guess we don't know yet.

JoelDali
07-29-2010, 07:25 AM
It is true to a certain degree. However it is a dilemma for Donnay. The fact is if they sell the same type of rackets and at same price, they probably can not compete with the big 3 (Head/Wilson/Prince). So they have to do a different type of marketing. This is a big risk Donnay is taking. Think this has been discussed before.

anyway 299$ a racket is a big risk for most of us racket buyers.

Exactly...I guess the demo is key here.

I think I will order up the X Black.

I love Donnay.

I used to cradle my Borg Pros to sleep when I was 10.

BobFL
07-29-2010, 07:42 AM
Do we have SWs yet?

Btw, I expect to see Donnay on TW in the near future (regular sale not in Classifieds). I also expect them to be in the 200-220 range. TW is a major player and they simply need that if they want to make some serious splash.

JoelDali
07-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Do we have SWs yet?

Btw, I expect to see Donnay on TW in the near future (regular sale not in Classifieds). I also expect them to be in the 200-220 range. TW is a major player and they simply need that if they want to make some serious splash.

I can apapreciate how much time and effort and $ it takes to produce quality raquets and these are stunning, but its just not worth it at that price.

Yeah, yeah I know its only a measely $100 bucks.

jaskasm
07-29-2010, 08:04 AM
Do we have SWs yet?

I might do it for $20 more if I really liked the racquet. For me its not about OMGZ is this new tech really worth it (though that is what I asked myself when i saw $300)? For me its about whether the racquet is good for me, and if it is better for me than any other racquet on the market I'd be more than willing to pay the extra $20 for it, but NO WAY would I do it for $100, across 3-4 racquets thats $300-400. WAY too much.

stevewcosta
07-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Visited RPNY today for the first time (live in Boston). I was very impressed. Roman is a great guy and I enjoyed our conversation. My first impressions of the Xs - the yellow and orange screamed at me - horrendous looking IMO. The dark red was beautiful and I wasn't able to see the black or blue which appear to be great looking as well. The red 99 was average in appearance, but I think the specs are going to suit my game the best. Also, despite the fear some have voiced re: frames being too thin, I believe that to be groundless. They are thick enough to be stable yet nice and thin which should = great ball feel. Of course I haven't actually hit with them yet, but I wanted to see them in person before I bothered to demo. The customization package is also really cool - love the butt cap weighting system and the slides to add weight to the head. The concept is awesome. The price sucks but I'm excited to try the Red & black 99s.

stevewcosta
07-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Another important thing to note - the grip shape is perfect! This would have been a deal breaker if they were shaped like Head or Volkl.

MichaelChang
07-29-2010, 09:36 AM
despite the fear some have voiced re: frames being too thin,

I am not sure about that. I think many people here love the thin beam. The fear is really the price tag.:)

Buckethead
07-29-2010, 05:24 PM
Is there anybody who tested these rackets and played with Yonex RDS mid before?Or Volkl DNX 10 mid?
How would you compare?
Thanks

OrangeOne
07-29-2010, 11:38 PM
a racket that makes you play is better

And to think I wasn't finding these posts too much as it was - the good old myth of a racquet MAKING you do something, like the PS85 MAKES you swing better. What rubbish.

we just like tennis gear, want all the newest/hottest stuff,

Speak for yourself, I don't need the newest and hottest, I just want good, competitive product. Funny that I get plenty of control & feel out of the PD, a frame you deride so...

Bartelby
07-30-2010, 12:23 AM
Yes, but if thin beam, customizable racquets really did take off for 300 dollars, then mainstream makers will be in the market for 200 dollars in a flash.

lmao :) I do hope they hang around, because indeed they are doing something different than other racket makers. Whether it is really better or worse, I guess we don't know yet.

stevewcosta
07-30-2010, 03:10 AM
Is there anybody who tested these rackets and played with Yonex RDS mid before?Or Volkl DNX 10 mid?
How would you compare?
Thanks

I know one thing, if they play anything like the RDS mid, I wouldn't buy one for $50. I owned a couple rds mids - no feel, too stiff, poorly balanced (at least the lot I purchased - significantly different specs than published). Yonex has gone so downhill it's pathetic. Everyone claims the new ti-80 has such great feel. Really? What feel, it has none. Combine that with an awkward grip shape and Yonex is not even a consideration anymore.

Long story short, I hope to demo the Donnay and I'll compare against the RDS mid.

Figjam
08-03-2010, 02:01 PM
I know one thing, if they play anything like the RDS mid, I wouldn't buy one for $50. I owned a couple rds mids - no feel, too stiff, poorly balanced (at least the lot I purchased - significantly different specs than published). Yonex has gone so downhill it's pathetic. Everyone claims the new ti-80 has such great feel. Really? What feel, it has none. Combine that with an awkward grip shape and Yonex is not even a consideration anymore.

Long story short, I hope to demo the Donnay and I'll compare against the RDS mid.

well Ive not played with the Mid, but ove played with the Mid plus, and I agrees, the donnays feel way better, my buddy has swtich from the RDS MP, to the Volkl V-tour 10, and Becker 11 (I think, the orange one), and looking to switch to the Donnay red99 or Dk red 94.

Figjam
08-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Sorry for the delay in further reveiws, been killing my self on court and brain and body are drained.
But heres something interesting, check out the Pallets: Looks like they have kevlar in them, which would definately add to the cost and also make them more durable.
http://i37.tinypic.com/9rlix5.jpg

TennezSport
08-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Figjam,

Did you remove the buttcap yet??? There seems to be some sort of silicome filling in the handle, I assume to mute vibration.

anirut
08-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Figjam, I don't know if it's Kevlar, but I don't think so. That'd be too expensive.

IMO, that "gauze" could be any low cost, decent quality material. I should think it's put there to reinforce the foam, making it less brittle, giving it more strength.

Also, IMO, that gauze pattern may (yes, a big MAY) help break off vibrations by means of non-uniform material stiffness.

Ummm ... a good idea to say "quality" by Donnay.

Figjam
08-04-2010, 06:22 AM
well it does sure have that golden blonde LOOK like kevlar, something ive worked with many times.

sandflea
08-04-2010, 06:37 AM
What does the butt end look like?

well it does sure have that golden blonde LOOK like kevlar, something ive worked with many times.

AbsolutTennis
08-05-2010, 06:45 AM
All this talk about the “custom-kit” and no comments about the fact that the customization kit is NOT a new idea and it has already been tried by Donnay (the old Donnay), some 25 years ago (or close to it). Theses boards are getting iffier and iffier… The Pro Cynetics 12 brought weights you could mess around with (Dynamic Personal Concept). The sticks were made in Belgium (braided Kevlar/Graphite comp) and featured an adjustable weight and balance system.

Figjam
08-05-2010, 08:47 AM
All this talk about the “custom-kit” and no comments about the fact that the customization kit is NOT a new idea and it has already been tried by Donnay (the old Donnay), some 25 years ago (or close to it). Theses boards are getting iffier and iffier… The Pro Cynetics 12 brought weights you could mess around with (Dynamic Personal Concept). The sticks were made in Belgium (braided Kevlar/Graphite comp) and featured an adjustable weight and balance system.

Ok so??? Oh right, cause you can go right out and buy a Pro Cynetic....

Bud
08-19-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm surprised the other Donnay thread lasted as long as it did.

Perhaps, we can get some more reviews by other TT members who are not retailers.

smittybuckeye
08-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Any idea why the last thread got deleted? With TW not selling Donnay frames how was that thread out of line?
Just curious. Hope I wasn't the cause of it happening as I think the other thread had some good information in it..

Figjam
08-19-2010, 09:26 PM
seriously???? why did it get deleted??? That sucks

HEY TW, why did the last thread get deleted???

Bud
08-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Any idea why the last thread got deleted? With TW not selling Donnay frames how was that thread out of line?
Just curious. Hope I wasn't the cause of it happening as I think the other thread had some good information in it..

I don't think it was your post, specifically. There were many folks walking a very fine line in that thread (including myself) plus lots of insults, fighting, etc.

Hopefully, this one will remain more civil and strictly focused on reviews.

seriously???? why did it get deleted??? That sucks

HEY TW, why did the last thread get deleted???

It's usually wise to email the admin directly with questions like this.

cneblett
09-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Demoing the x-Dark Red 94 starting last night. It has a very nice old school feel to it.
A little about me, 4.0-4.5 player. Hope to be moving up after this year to 4.5, been playing that level this summer and into a fall league. I am playing with a Wilson BLX Tour.

Serving:
Great, I was able to hit good serves and all of them right off the bat. Felt like it picked up the pace of my serves, and they had a different sound going across the net. Seemed to be 5 MPH faster on flat serves than with the BLX.

Ground strokes were solid with good pace and control. Felt like they did what I expected them to do. Switched a few times back during play to the Wilson, and played better each time I switched back to the Donnay. What I mean is I would hit ok, switch to wilson, switch back and be hitting the donnay better than when I switched.

Volleys:
I was not volleying as well at first with the Donnay, but it did pick up as the night went along. Will be playing a few more times including doing net drills while testing it, so see if this gets better. It should, because I did volley better as the night went along.

Overall it was a good playing racket, which I may switch to one of the 94 Donnay's. It just gives a little more room and feels like a more traditional 95 si racket.

db379
09-09-2010, 03:25 PM

Are you kidding? The rds mid is one of the very best mids I ever played with, it compares to a PC600 or a K90 in terms of solidness of shot, control and feel. I did add roughly 10g of lead though, but all my sticks are customized. Definitely one of the mids out there, if not the best.

Don't know about the Ti80, but a lof ot people say it's very solid.... In my experience, all yonexes before the rdis line were real solid sticks. I didn't quite like the rdis mid, it's solid, but a bit less and just too stiff for me.

Dechizen
09-09-2010, 06:26 PM
http://www.donnayusa.com/comparison.htm

Dechizen
09-09-2010, 06:27 PM
http://www.donnayusa.com/comparison.htm

Mig1NC
09-10-2010, 02:35 AM
Interesting. They reccomend string tension from 47-57 on most.

Ok. So I have to admit. I broke down and snagged one on the Bay. God help me, the wife is going to be p~ssed I bought another racquet.

But at least I saved ~$70 on the bay.

Dechizen
09-10-2010, 07:32 AM
Interesting. They reccomend string tension from 47-57 on most.

Ok. So I have to admit. I broke down and snagged one on the Bay. God help me, the wife is going to be p~ssed I bought another racquet.

But at least I saved ~$70 on the bay.

you bought a Donnay!Where?!?!

Do you mean E-bay?

stevewcosta
09-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Are you kidding? The rds mid is one of the very best mids I ever played with, it compares to a PC600 or a K90 in terms of solidness of shot, control and feel. I did add roughly 10g of lead though, but all my sticks are customized. Definitely one of the mids out there, if not the best.

Don't know about the Ti80, but a lof ot people say it's very solid.... In my experience, all yonexes before the rdis line were real solid sticks. I didn't quite like the rdis mid, it's solid, but a bit less and just too stiff for me.

No, not kidding at all. Too thick, no feel, too stiff, erratic specs by batch despite all the hype to the contrary. And, the grip shape sucks. Oh yeah, and neon yellow sucks too. Last good Y's were from the R-line.

safinator
09-10-2010, 08:59 AM
Hey guys.

First of all, someone mentioned that the modification system is not new, and I have also remembered that somewhere in 2002-2004 I have seen some Puma racquets, where you could also change the balance just by turning a "triger" in the throat...

Secondly, a question was arisen in the previous thread about the Donnays, I could help to notice that many ppl were complaining about the build quality (paint, etc) of the racquets and that the paint was getting chipped very easily. Did the ones of you who demoed them notice such an issue?

tennisace23
09-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Hey guys.

First of all, someone mentioned that the modification system is not new, and I have also remembered that somewhere in 2002-2004 I have seen some Puma racquets, where you could also change the balance just by turning a "triger" in the throat...

Secondly, a question was arisen in the previous thread about the Donnays, I could help to notice that many ppl were complaining about the build quality (paint, etc) of the racquets and that the paint was getting chipped very easily. Did the ones of you who demoed them notice such an issue?

Yeah, paint scuffs/chips easily, and bumper breaks easily.

Figjam
09-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Yeah, paint scuffs/chips easily, and bumper breaks easily.

Ive not had a problem in with that, I dont see how you can break the bumper, unless you really smack it hard, (in which case you'd probably scratch the paint anyway!)

Dechizen
09-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Ive not had a problem in with that, I dont see how you can break the bumper, unless you really smack it hard, (in which case you'd probably scratch the paint anyway!)

tennisace23 is a vantage fanboy, he always says bad things about donnays

tennisace23
09-10-2010, 11:06 AM

This is hilarious. I was simply disappointed in the Donnay line. It's funny on here how if you say something good about a product, it's a conspiracy, and if you say something negative about a product, it's still a conspiracy.

Bud
09-10-2010, 02:55 PM

Some racquet bumpers are very brittle.

You sound like a Donnay fanboy. He made a simple statement about the paint and bumper and you responded by attacking his reputation.

This is hilarious. I was simply disappointed in the Donnay line. It's funny on here how if you say something good about a product, it's a conspiracy, and if you say something negative about a product, it's still a conspiracy.

I just look when Dechizen joined the board. Awfully coincidental it was last month.

- - -

Basically, up to this point no well-known, long-term TT members have positively reviewed one of these frames.

Dechizen
09-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Some racquet bumpers are very brittle.

You sound like a Donnay fanboy. He made a simple statement about the paint and bumper and you responded by attacking his reputation.

I just look when Dechizen joined the board. Awfully coincidental it was last month.

wow your assuming I responded to this statement only , I have seen him say several bad things about these Donnays and the opposite for the vantages.I am defnintely not a fanboy, i didn't even know who Donnay was before the X-Series came out, btw I like vantage too

tennisace23
09-11-2010, 01:43 AM
People were asking that non-retailers to give honest reviews of the Donnay, and that's what I did. The title of this thread is "Donnay X-Series review." By your logic, if someone likes Wilson, but says something bad about Head, then they must be a Wilson "fanboy." The last Donnay thread was removed due to people hijacking it and talking about nonsense instead of racquets. This is starting to go in that direction again. All my responses have been about the racquets, answering opinion based questions that people asked.

Mig1NC
09-11-2010, 02:32 AM
Recieved the X-Orange I got off the big bay.

Wow. This thing is a work of art. And solid like all get-out.

Going to hit with it today somehow... Taking the kids to a USTA quickstart event. After that, me and my silent partner have a date!

Dechizen
09-11-2010, 07:17 AM
People were asking that non-retailers to give honest reviews of the Donnay, and that's what I did. The title of this thread is "Donnay X-Series review." By your logic, if someone likes Wilson, but says something bad about Head, then they must be a Wilson "fanboy." The last Donnay thread was removed due to people hijacking it and talking about nonsense instead of racquets. This is starting to go in that direction again. All my responses have been about the racquets, answering opinion based questions that people asked.

LMFAO your such a liar, your a Vantage fanboy just admit it I have seen your various comments on these in various threads, don't try to act smart and pretend your not a fanboy:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Mig1NC
09-11-2010, 12:15 PM
LMFAO your such a liar, your a Vantage fanboy just admit it I have seen your various comments on these in various threads, don't try to act smart and pretend your not a fanboy:lol::lol::lol::lol:

LOL, dude. I think you meant to type you're not your.

So, anyway. I just got back from hitting about 200 balls with the X-Orange. This thing may be the ultimate tweener. Weight and balance of the Pure Drive, stiffness to match my Aerogel 4Hundred, solid as ANY old school player's frame.

Off center hits were probably slightly more unstable than my customized Dunlops, but this thing is so easy to whip through the shot with precision I found I made much fewer miss-hits.

In fact I was so impressed by the maneuverability that I tried switching back to the one handed back hand that I haven't used since 1994. Man, I was nailing those backhands too!

Next I need to experiment with the weight, as today I only hit with the standard butt-cap and no slides.

Dechizen
09-11-2010, 01:22 PM
LOL, dude. I think you meant to type you're not your.

So, anyway. I just got back from hitting about 200 balls with the X-Orange. This thing may be the ultimate tweener. Weight and balance of the Pure Drive, stiffness to match my Aerogel 4Hundred, solid as ANY old school player's frame.

Off center hits were probably slightly more unstable than my customized Dunlops, but this thing is so easy to whip through the shot with precision I found I made much fewer miss-hits.

In fact I was so impressed by the maneuverability that I tried switching back to the one handed back hand that I haven't used since 1994. Man, I was nailing those backhands too!

Next I need to experiment with the weight, as today I only hit with the standard butt-cap and no slides.

:-?:-?:-?:-?

Mig1NC
09-11-2010, 01:46 PM
:-?:-?:-?:-?

In English You're is another form of you are. Wheras your denotes ownership. Such as, your car. Or your racquet.

atatu
09-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Basically, up to this point no well-known, long-term TT members have positively reviewed one of these frames.

Well, I actually gave them a pretty good review, and I've been a board member a lot longer than you have (going back to the old boards). I declined to call attention to my review, due to the personal attacks other reviewers were subjected to. However, another poster did put a link up to my review in the other Donnay thread.

anirut
09-12-2010, 12:06 AM
In English You're is another form of you are. Wheras your denotes ownership. Such as, your car. Or your racquet.

I love this comment!

Another one to note is the wrong use of "then" for "than" by a lot of the members here.

atatu
09-12-2010, 08:11 AM

I think you mean "whereas" not "wheras"...

Mig1NC
09-12-2010, 08:41 AM
LOL. Yeah. I cannot get IeSpell to work in IE8 on Windows 7 x64.

EDIT: Oddly, I just noticed it works if I launch it from the tools menu, but the right-click context menu always has it greyed out for some reason.

Figjam
09-12-2010, 08:49 AM
LOL. Yeah. I cannot get IeSpell to work in IE8 on Windows 7 x64.

EDIT: Oddly, I just noticed it works if I launch it from the tools menu, but the right-click context menu always has it greyed out for some reason.

how about human brain 1.0??

prjacobs
09-12-2010, 09:32 AM
It's amazing to me how the new donnnay frames have inspired such acrimony on the forum. It seems, from neutral observation, that many people are simply ****ed off about the price. Fair enough. But chill. Make your point and don't whine about it. No one is forcing you to buy one and the vast majority of comments about this frame come from people who haven't played with them. Therefore, you know nothing. There also seems to be the feeling that shills for donnay are trying to jack up interest in their frames. Well... In time, they'll get around and we'll have lots of reviews based on actual use. It seems that the reviews are somewhat mixed now. I have no particular interest in buying a donnay, but as a player, I'm always interested in fellow players thoughts. However, these threads seem to sink to the lowest common dominator. Let's take a deep breath and grow up... How about it? And again... If you haven't used the racquet, don't tell me how it sucks:).

Mig1NC
09-12-2010, 11:26 AM
how about human brain 1.0??

Naw, my brain is still in beta, version 0.9. It's a little unpredictable!

But, I am still liking my Donnay. Now, I have to sell about 4 more racquets so I can buy another one!

mctennis
09-12-2010, 07:41 PM
ditto what prjacobs says here. If you haven't tried the racquet then you really can't comment on how bad it is. Just read the comments of the people that have actually tried the racquets. Each person's likes and dislikes are different. That's they there are about a blue million different racquets that were or are being made. The best thing to read, review and demo the racquets when they become available. If you like them great if not great too. Find one that you do like. If you don't like the price then don't buy the racquet. Just don't complain about it and become a bottom feeder when they do become available and expect the $300 racquet to be sold to you for $60 shipping included. Go get yourself a Wal-Mart racquet. You'll be happier and probably play better with one too. Just like any other racquet choice, demo, demo, demo. Only YOU can determine what racquet is better for your game NOT some guy that lives half way around the world telling you how great or how awful a racquet is.

safinator
09-13-2010, 02:20 AM
It is awesome to see how the ppl have thrown themselves on the throats of others for the Donnays, I have been following these forums for a while, and never have I seen a racquet of any make create such a hate and discussion going over to personal levels.
It is just impressive!

corners
09-13-2010, 04:57 AM
It is awesome to see how the ppl have thrown themselves on the throats of others for the Donnays, I have been following these forums for a while, and never have I seen a racquet of any make create such a hate and discussion going over to personal levels.
It is just impressive!

Yeah, it might be a good case study for corporations hoping to understand the advantages and disadvantages, the good, bad and the ugly, of viral message board marketing.

mctennis
09-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Maybe that should be a new college degree " Message Board Marketing".

TennezSport
09-16-2010, 07:37 AM
ditto what prjacobs says here. If you haven't tried the racquet then you really can't comment on how bad it is. Just read the comments of the people that have actually tried the racquets. Each person's likes and dislikes are different. That's they there are about a blue million different racquets that were or are being made. The best thing to read, review and demo the racquets when they become available. If you like them great if not great too. Find one that you do like. If you don't like the price then don't buy the racquet. Just don't complain about it and become a bottom feeder when they do become available and expect the $300 racquet to be sold to you for $60 shipping included. Go get yourself a Wal-Mart racquet. You'll be happier and probably play better with one too. Just like any other racquet choice, demo, demo, demo. Only YOU can determine what racquet is better for your game NOT some guy that lives half way around the world telling you how great or how awful a racquet is.

Thank you and Prjacobs for your logic and honesty.

Mig1NC
09-16-2010, 07:50 AM
Still like mine.

I'm ok with what I paid from the bay for it. In fact, I would have been ok with paying retail becuase I like it that much. However the main thing I don't agree with is that you basically have to pay $25 per stick to demo if you don't live near one of the few places that has them available to demo.

That's an awefull lot of money to shell out for just one stick. And if you wanted to demo two or three you are looking at a boatload of money to just demo.

On a side note, don't think I like their overgrip that much. But I need to try it again.

BLACKOUT
10-07-2010, 11:23 AM
I bought two X-Blue 94's discounted and had them weighted to 350 grams and 310 mm balance unstrung. I previously used the K Pro Staff 88 and have used the K 6.1 tour, PS 6.0 85 and the Pro Staff Tour 90.

I love the K Pro Staff 88 but I felt that I needed more headsize. My options were the X-Blue 94, Dunlop Aerogel 4d 200 and the Youtek Speed Pro. I felt the Donnay played closest to my KPS 88, with the extra headsize I was looking for. However, I'm looking to try the KPS 88 again because I feel I'm missing that plowthrough and special feeling that I had with the KPS 88. The Donnay's are good but definitely require customizing. But I will look into the KPS 88 again

JoelDali
10-07-2010, 11:47 AM
However, I'm looking to try the KPS 88 again because I feel I'm missing that plowthrough and special feeling that I had with the KPS 88. The Donnay's are good but definitely require customizing. But I will look into the KPS 88 again

What is it about the 88 that gives such orgasmically sublime feedback like no other racquet?

I've demoe'd so many damn raquets the past year and NONE can touch the 88.

Trust me, I know the inherent idiocy of using it but I don't care anymore.

Its not a fail no matter what the windshield wiping bab trolls think or what Pete is now using (demo'ing).

88 for life MFs.

Devilito
10-07-2010, 11:49 AM
What is it about the 88 that gives such orgasmically sublime feedback like no other racquet?

Its not a fail no matter what the windshield wiping bab trolls think or what Pete is now using (demo'ing).

88 for life MFs.

you can't wipe windshields with the kps88. Sorry

JoelDali
10-07-2010, 11:52 AM
you can't wipe windshields with the kps88. Sorry

Billy Mays thought the same thing, then he effen died battling windshields.

http://blog.pennlive.com/go/2009/06/large_billymays.jpg

stevewcosta
10-07-2010, 11:55 AM

88 for life MFs.

I like your sense of humor. Tell 'em! Although I wish I could swing that beast effectively.

JoelDali
10-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Windshield wiping is destroying the modern game.

All the kids influenced by Nadal will effectively pollute and bring down the game for years to come.

Yellow chick sticks should not be used by Men.

Long live Wilson.

Look out, I'm Tarding out!

:D

Devilito
10-07-2010, 12:22 PM

All the kids influenced by Nadal will effectively pollute and bring down the game for years to come.

Yellow chick sticks should not be used by Men.

Long live Wilson.

Look out, I'm Tarding out!

:D

http://cdn.picapp.com/ftp/Images/7/2/a/1/The_Championships_a74e.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/287k9le.jpg

KickservKyle
10-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Who started the windshield wiper term?

Would that be similar to a wax on wax off forehand?

JoelDali
10-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Dude that gif is so old.

Not sure what Rog has to do with this.

:)

pennc94
10-08-2010, 05:45 AM
I bought two X-Blue 94's discounted and had them weighted to 350 grams and 310 mm balance unstrung. I previously used the K Pro Staff 88 and have used the K 6.1 tour, PS 6.0 85 and the Pro Staff Tour 90.

I love the K Pro Staff 88 but I felt that I needed more headsize. My options were the X-Blue 94, Dunlop Aerogel 4d 200 and the Youtek Speed Pro. I felt the Donnay played closest to my KPS 88, with the extra headsize I was looking for. However, I'm looking to try the KPS 88 again because I feel I'm missing that plowthrough and special feeling that I had with the KPS 88. The Donnay's are good but definitely require customizing. But I will look into the KPS 88 again

So are the Donnay 94s headsize larger than the KPS 88? I know someone on this board measured the KPS 88 headsize and found it actually had a 90 sq in headsize. Wondered about the Donnay 94 size if it was true to size. Do you have a picture of the Donnay 94 up against the KPS 88 to compare headsize?

Don't Let It Bounce
10-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Someone from Donnay USA confirmed in another thread that both 94 and 99 were accurate measurements of the actual head sizes.

Billy Mays thought the same thing, then he effen died battling windshields.If he'd used a KPS88 instead of that overpriced squirt gun, he'd still be alive today, and those windshields would STILL BE CLEAN.

sandflea
10-08-2010, 02:11 PM
My x-red 94 measures true to size... a smidge smaller than my Vantage 95's.

So are the Donnay 94s headsize larger than the KPS 88? I know someone on this board measured the KPS 88 headsize and found it actually had a 90 sq in headsize. Wondered about the Donnay 94 size if it was true to size. Do you have a picture of the Donnay 94 up against the KPS 88 to compare headsize?

Kemitak
10-08-2010, 09:30 PM

Don't worry, while the youngin's are wiping windshields, the few who play proper tennis will be wiping the court with them.

pennc94
10-09-2010, 12:50 PM
My x-red 94 measures true to size... a smidge smaller than my Vantage 95's.

How do you feel the Donnay compares to the Vantage?

sandflea
10-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Both great sticks... the x-red is more solid feeling, more power and control, but lacks stability. Vantage has better touch, more stable, larger sweet spot and more gears.

How do you feel the Donnay compares to the Vantage?

BLACKOUT
10-09-2010, 04:47 PM
nothing plays like a kps 88, but the donnay racquets are good, if they were cheaper to the general public it would be better recieved

minhcd
11-19-2010, 01:37 AM
@Figjam: hi Figjiam, I'm considering between Orange 99 & Yellow 99. Can you help me compare two racquets about power/comfort/feed/stable/... on groundstroke/serve/return-of-serve?
Thanks you very much! :)

minhcd
11-19-2010, 01:42 AM
@Figjam: hi Figjiam, I'm considering between Orange 99 & Yellow 99. Can you help me compare two racquets about power/control/comfort/feel/stable/... on groundstroke/serve/return-of-serve?
Thanks you very much!

Anton
11-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Getting Red 99 and Orange 99 test drive tommorow

Shangri La
11-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Interested in the Red99. TW's comments on its ball feel are really intriguing.

Frankauc
11-22-2010, 04:59 PM
im really interested by the x-orange.

im using the gamma t-7 right now but i would like to try something with a little bit more power but close overall specs, more like a APD.

On the donnayusa website they say the orange would suit my needs

anyone using it?

mastorga
11-22-2010, 06:28 PM
is funny ! no one talk about the Red 94 ! that is the best of all the donnays. 16x19 362.5 grms(12.7oz) 31.0cm head light with all the weights and 10grms but cup.

love this one . saving money to get the clone of mine . with the serial number they give you a very same one :)
That's what they say :confused:

JGads
11-22-2010, 08:35 PM
is funny ! no one talk about the Red 94 ! that is the best of all the donnays. 16x19 362.5 grms(12.7oz) 31.0cm head light with all the weights and 10grms but cup.

love this one . saving money to get the clone of mine . with the serial number they give you a very same one :)

Mastorga, did you try the 94 Red vs any other frames? I've tried the blacks and the dark red and I'm trying to decide whether the red is worth a demo, since I'd like a better stiffness/ball feel than what I've gotten from the blacks and dark red (though I really do like much of what the dark red has to offer)

JGads
11-22-2010, 08:40 PM

Mastorga, did you try the 94 Red vs any other Donnay frames? I've tried the blacks and the dark red and I'm trying to decide whether the red is worth a demo, since I'd like a better stiffness/ball feel than what I've gotten from the blacks and dark red (though I really do like much of what the dark red has to offer)

mastorga
11-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Mastorga, did you try the 94 Red vs any other Donnay frames? I've tried the blacks and the dark red and I'm trying to decide whether the red is worth a demo, since I'd like a better stiffness/ball feel than what I've gotten from the blacks and dark red (though I really do like much of what the dark red has to offer)

yes i try the black 94 and dark red 94 that i like a lot but the red is a little more stiff and it gives me more power. i have a friend that didin't like the dark red so i think i am going to buy it :? keep the dark red is a great raquet
i want to have all of them lol

Fed Kennedy
11-22-2010, 09:18 PM
12.7 with all the weights? is this true for the red?

mastorga
11-23-2010, 04:15 AM
12.7 with all the weights? is this true for the red?

With leader grip. luxilon, dampener, wilson overgrip pro. YES 12.7 31.0CM HEAD LIGHT
the blACK WAS 13.0 !! WITH A 31.8CM HEAD LIGHT

galain
11-23-2010, 07:29 AM
mastorga - how did the dark red compare with the black? They seem quite similar at first look.

Thanks

morten
11-23-2010, 07:35 AM
i want to know too...

mastorga
11-23-2010, 03:48 PM
mastorga - how did the dark red compare with the black? They seem quite similar at first look.

Thanks

you are right they are very similar BUT the black 94 the string pattern is to close for a 94 so it plays extremly good but very flat. the black you can hit flat and spin, feels very good . I love the red 94:) hits the ball so heavy!!! same as the others!!!! and they are heavy!.

galain
11-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the reply!

prjacobs
11-24-2010, 04:34 AM
you are right they are very similar BUT the black 94 the string pattern is to close for a 94 so it plays extremly good but very flat. the black you can hit flat and spin, feels very good . I love the red 94:) hits the ball so heavy!!! same as the others!!!! and they are heavy!.

Sorry, do you mean red or Dark red......

mastorga
11-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Sorry, do you mean red or Dark red......

the dark red

Zeb
11-25-2010, 08:31 AM
I have a Pro One International Ltd Edition which was sold exclusively through TW. Just measured its specs to see which out of the new Donnay line it might closely resemble....here are my specs:

Pro One International:

Strung Weight - 337g

Swing Weight - 320

Balance - 5 points

Stiffness - 58

Beam Width - 19mm

String Pattern - 16 X 18

X Dark Red 94:

Head Size: 94 sq. in.

Strung Weight: 337g

Balance: 5 pts HL

Swingweight: 323

Stiffness: 60

Beam Width: 16mm

String Pattern: 16 X 19

I would say that my Pro One closely resembles the new X Dark Red 94. I would hazard a guess that my Pro One would probably play much the same as the new Dark Red 94. So I think the biggest difference is the price differential between the two - $99 vs $229. Shame these Pro One's have stopped becasue they were great rackets and were much...much cheaper!

Anton
11-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Played with Orange (with 3g of lead at 12 to get SW up to where I like it) - feels pretty nice and dampened with some noticeable low-freq. flex in the throat.

I'm probably spoiled rotten by my YT Extreme Pros but the stability and power just didn't measure up.

Flattening out was pretty good with higher flex keeping the ball in play and decent pace was on tap to really hit out. But I just couldn't play the big-and-tall top spin and angle game I've been growing into. On my backhand, which is usually on the flat side and penetrating the pace fell off by a lot and I had tough time pushing my opponent around with it the way I'm used to.

Serves were consistent - but I just could not get big pace on first and big second serve kicks like I'm used to.

In defensive situations the racket was a let down - while on returns I got a lot of balls back in play(even though alot were falling short). On the stretch with my Pro's I just had to get the racket on the ball and it's back in play with some good slice on it, but with Orange I had to have enough time to get some punch and hope I hit the sweetspot, because Otherwise the ball just falls short or just lands tall for a put away

On the positive, the volleys were very easy to place just where I wanted them - touch shots were spot on but I could easily punch the ball deep with some good slice as well. Half volleys were tougher because any off-center landing caused the ball to just die and fall short. With my Pro I just angle the racket right and the rest just happens.

All and all a good frame for those looking for classic feel, but not well suited for full-western style of play IMO.

DavidNERODease
11-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks Anton for the feedback on the Orange. I currently use Extreme Pro's as well but I'm considering the new Donnay's incuding the Orange. I'm finding it very hard to choose - I want a thinner beam racquet and a little more flex but it's hard to give up what the Extreme Pro has to offer.

Carolina Racquet
11-26-2010, 09:16 AM
OK... haven't seen this suggestion YET, but wouldn't Donnay be wise to add a "107 Pro One Oversize" type to their lineup? Other than the Borg wood lineup, it's their most notorious stick thanks to Agassi.

I think it would be cool to add their new XeneCore technology to a thin-beamed OS racquet... Through in the customization and I think they could have something. I personally like the looks as well.

sureshs
11-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Somebody mentioned small sweetspot. With a 15 mm width, wouldn't there be less mass in the head resulting in smaller sweetspot? It is to be expected.

rosheem
11-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Decided to buy the Black 94 after a great demo experience.

I've now started to dial in the strings.

Today I strung it up with Volkl Cyclone 18g at 55/58. I was VERY happy with this setup. Amazing combination of feel and spin. Really allowed me to play loose and go for my shots.

After destroying my hitting partner in 6-1, 4-0 (he gave up), I spent a half hour working on my big serve. I was hitting some heavy, heavy serves with this setup. With a full, explosive delivery, there is no lack of power at all. Bombs away.

I'm using it without added weights...I really like the stock setup.

Anton
11-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Day 2 - played mostly with RED 99, poly/multi hybrid at mid tension - About 3.5g 11-1 other 3g at 3 and 9 for more stability. TW dampener.

Result - 12oz, 99" a bit flexier K90! All the pleads out here for a more forgiving k90 have been answered.

The extra lead at 3and 9 really helped stabilize the racket and carried through the stroke great.

Not a racket for the western game I've been working on, but I'm sure there will be a lot of fans of this one.

morten
11-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Decided to buy the Black 94 after a great demo experience.

I've now started to dial in the strings.

Today I strung it up with Volkl Cyclone 18g at 55/58. I was VERY happy with this setup. Amazing combination of feel and spin. Really allowed me to play loose and go for my shots.

After destroying my hitting partner in 6-1, 4-0 (he gave up), I spent a half hour working on my big serve. I was hitting some heavy, heavy serves with this setup. With a full, explosive delivery, there is no lack of power at all. Bombs away.

I'm using it without added weights...I really like the stock setup.

does it swing heavy? Heavier than blx90 feks..? ps 85?

Anton
11-27-2010, 01:41 PM
whoops nvmnd

Frankauc
11-27-2010, 02:15 PM
whats the headshape like for the 99in frames? Is it roundish or more like dunlop?

Orion
11-27-2010, 07:17 PM
whats the headshape like for the 99in frames? Is it roundish or more like dunlop?

Demoing the 94 & 99 Blue. They are more Dunlop shaped. They have a distinct shape narrow but increased stringbed at the hoop and throat.

stevewcosta
11-28-2010, 08:29 AM
does it swing heavy? Heavier than blx90 feks..? ps 85?

Hey Morten. Played really well with the Red99 this morning. I do not like mushy stringbeds with poly & multi so the feel wasn't good. I served well and made some shots reminiscient of my old Yonex Rs - low, piercing slice backhands, great drop shots...well placed serves (much better placement than most racquets I've tried lately---didn't have the Pros Staff or Vantage 90 serving mphs though). I was playing mixed dubs so I can't comment too much, but it was a fun hit. I was also more consistent with groundstrokes. Good stuff so far. I played with it stock. May try it with a leather grip this week. I think it will shine with leather and a different string. My grip felt off due to different shape but it's close enough to Wilson so it won't be a big deal. I also have the dark red 94 and black 99 I'm going to try this week - goal is to try to like the 99s though. Need the extra string bed in my old age...

morten
11-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Hey Morten. Played really well with the Red99 this morning. I do not like mushy stringbeds with poly & multi so the feel wasn't good. I served well and made some shots reminiscient of my old Yonex Rs - low, piercing slice backhands, great drop shots...well placed serves (much better placement than most racquets I've tried lately---didn't have the Pros Staff or Vantage 90 serving mphs though). I was playing mixed dubs so I can't comment too much, but it was a fun hit. I was also more consistent with groundstrokes. Good stuff so far. I played with it stock. May try it with a leather grip this week. I think it will shine with leather and a different string. My grip felt off due to different shape but it's close enough to Wilson so it won't be a big deal. I also have the dark red 94 and black 99 I'm going to try this week - goal is to try to like the 99s though. Need the extra string bed in my old age...

Thanks, keep me informed :) i am leaning towards the black94.. but it may swing too heavy...?

big ted
11-28-2010, 12:23 PM
these new donnay racquets seem nice but i dont understand why :
1. the specs seem to be all over the place depending on source/dealer
2. each racquet in their lineup is so similar to eachother
3. they market it as a 15mm beam frame but apparently it is not?

i still like donnay tho

morten
11-28-2010, 12:49 PM
these new donnay racquets seem nice but i dont understand why :
1. the specs seem to be all over the place depending on source/dealer
2. each racquet in their lineup is so similar to eachother
3. they market it as a 15mm beam frame but apparently it is not?

i still like donnay tho

i agree......

maxplymac
11-29-2010, 07:35 AM
I guess there really is one born every minute. If you really need to purchase a 250 dollar stick to each his own. I'll keep my Donnay Plus 35 with VS Gut...same specs, better graphite, and flexier to boot.

stevewcosta
11-29-2010, 07:48 AM
I guess there really is one born every minute. If you really need to purchase a 250 dollar stick to each his own. I'll keep my Donnay Plus 35 with VS Gut...same specs, better graphite, and flexier to boot.

No different than EX03 Silver, Blue, Black prices and I wouldn't even consider demoing those frames. Unfortunately, we can't go back to 1986 to get the better racquets. I would be the first in line. Got a time machine?

morten
11-29-2010, 08:11 AM
i actually have a time machine... but it is from 2006 so too new, i liked the old once better ;)

maxplymac
11-29-2010, 08:33 AM
I love showing modern racquets after being sawed in half with my band saw and showing them that they payed 200 bucks for a hollow racquet.

Then I show them a Dunlop Boron Graphite composite from early 80's and its solid all the way through, made from the best quality graphite that mankind has ever produced, before the airplane industry got their grubby paws over the fine stuff.

You don't need a time machine...they made millions of these old frames just cough up 10-40 bucks and buy them from the bay. LOL!
Then put some natural gut at about 40# to offest any "lack of power" with the frame. Old 90-95" thin beam racquets (15-17mm) are the way to go. These 21-25mm hollowed out monkey-sticks are for suckers. Not that the racquet companies mind LOL!

I must admit that weighted butt-caps are friggin' genius.

buffalobill3
11-29-2010, 09:06 AM
I love showing modern racquets after being sawed in half with my band saw and showing them that they payed 200 bucks for a hollow racquet.

Then I show them a Dunlop Boron Graphite composite from early 80's and its solid all the way through, made from the best quality graphite that mankind has ever produced, before the airplane industry got their grubby paws over the fine stuff.

You don't need a time machine...they made millions of these old frames just cough up 10-40 bucks and buy them from the bay. LOL!
Then put some natural gut at about 40# to offest any "lack of power" with the frame. Old 90-95" thin beam racquets (15-17mm) are the way to go. These 21-25mm hollowed out monkey-sticks are for suckers. Not that the racquet companies mind LOL!

Do these thin racquets by Donnay play anything like the PK Black Aces, Spalding GC 20 and other thin racquets we use to play with?

maxplymac
11-29-2010, 09:39 AM
^^I'm assuming they are merely trying to copy these great legendary sticks.

Recreating never is as good as an original...great unheard of Donnay sticks like the Supermid Touring, which pioneered the braided graphite racquets, were merely entry-level, yet still superior to anything produced after 1995, and especially anything after 2000.

The only legit tech I've seen come down the pipe recently are the Pro Kennex Kinetic line, and maybe those goofy Prince sticks with holes in them. I can see how this could increase racquet head speed. The PK Kinetic line, notable the 5G SMI, IMO, were the last great racquets that actually lived up to any tech hype.

maxplymac
11-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Somebody shell out the 250 bucks and saw it in half for me, will ya?

Donnay Quixote
11-29-2010, 09:49 AM
REVIEW OF WHITE 99, ORANGE 99, RED 99

White

This was surprisingly my favorite of all the sticks. The Donnay website reccomended the Orange as first choice and the red as second choice , but the White was my favorite by far for many reasons:

1- It was the cheapest

2-It actually played the best

3- It was the lightest and I can build it up to weigh the same as the Red or the Orange.

Anyway....I first weighted up the white with everything because i thought the specs were a bit light. I used the 10g butt cap and all the side weights and top weights. The stick did everything incredible. It was love at first sight. Truthfully I didnt even want to bother trying the red or the orange because the white was my soul mate. When you know its right you just know immediately.

I realize that there is a honeymoon period.....so I went out to the court to hit with it again the next day even though I already knew that I had found perfection.

This time though I took out the top and side weights but left in the 10g butt weight....and I couldnt believe it. The stick played even better!!! i didnt think that was possible.

Seriously I have never felt anything so right in my entire life. I hit groundstrokes that were amazing, serves were pin point bombs , volleys perfect.

What is there left to say??? It was simply perfection in every department. I always see the TW reviews and rarely do you see anything above 80.....I would give the white a 100 !

Even the freaking cosmetics are amazing! What else is there left to say? I have never played this well in my life. Touch ,feel, power, control, comfort...ita all there.........Im still in amazement to be honest......and its not a "honeymoon" ....Im really blown away. I never expected anything like this.

Im not sure the stick is for everyone but for me it was perfection. I could really "whip" all my strokes with super wrist action.

Just perfect.

Orange 99

This was a great stick as well.....and if the white were not so amazing I would say this stick was amazing as well.

My groundstrokes were really awesome with the stick. Almost as good as the white. The difference was that the Orange was not as comfortable and my arm grew weary. I had a bit of soreness in my fore arm as well.

Serves were really good , volleys great....but what stood out on this racquet was the ground strokes. If you are an agressive baseliner this is definitely the stick for you.

This stick is right in the middle of the spectrum of the series and simply does everything well but especially shines on groundstrokes. Maybe if I were a bit younger and stronger this would be my choice.

Red 99

Another great stick ....but again it cannot compare to the White.

This may have been the best serving stick out of the three. Especially on the flat serve....OMG!!! Pinpoint accuracy and some real plow through.

Groundstrokes, volleys everything was very good, but serves were especially good.

Its hard to choose between the orange or the Red but I would go for the Orange over the Red because the groundstrokes with the Orange are amazing and it serves almost as well.

Donnay Quixote
11-29-2010, 09:54 AM
^^I'm assuming they are merely trying to copy these great legendary sticks.

actually I played with the MaxPly mac and am now switching to Donnay.

First of all the specs of the orange are virtually the same as the maxply and i thought i would like that the best.

The White is just a whisker different than maxply but so much better. Its just more maneuverable and sweeter. i dont know if its the thin beam or this xenocore or what....but its like the Maxply on steroids.

Im telling you that you will absolutely switch sticks if you can get over the price....I know that I did.

stevewcosta
11-29-2010, 11:43 AM
i actually have a time machine... but it is from 2006 so too new, i liked the old once better ;)

I would take a ride back to 2006. There are a few life "do-overs" that come to mind without going back another 20 yrs...

stevewcosta
11-29-2010, 11:52 AM

Welcome to the boards. Hilarious post and I agree with everything you are saying. Thanks for the sanity and for contributing. You'll witness a few people thinking I'm a loon for hating these modern crap sticks, or "hollowed out monkey-sticks ...for suckers"...I like that. I would buy 15 Yonex R10s today if I could find them new (18.5 mm box beams - but around 97 or 98 sq. in). Awesome.

Shangri La
11-29-2010, 02:05 PM
TW is reviewing the Red 94 and 99 only. So they should be good sticks!

Fed Kennedy
11-29-2010, 09:01 PM
I hit the red 94 for an hour. It's comparable to ozone tour or aerogel 100 without lead. Light players stick. Not in the same league as a wilson mid or prestige mid. I have higher hopes for blue 94 and dark red.

myusername
12-13-2010, 07:22 PM
I've been web searching Donnay X reviews and there isn't much out there. I hope TW reviews them soon. I am excited about the thin beam. I want to demo come this spring. Though I'll probably wait till the price goes down if I buy. I like the 99 head size and Black Blue, Red and orange are around my weight. Donnay specs on there web site is different than tw's Could any one whose used these sticks match up the play style with the stick. I'm an attacking all courter who loves to spin. Thanks.

proracketeer
12-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Donnay Quixote
Banned

TennisAddict121
12-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Donnay Quixote
Banned

Lol yeah he was a bit ridiculous, however the donnay racquets are really solid. The Red 94 is like a wilson K blade tour gone right

plus
12-15-2010, 11:27 PM
I have an important question about the dark red 94, I am tempted to order the frame but I can not test here in europe so any input is very very welcome!

Does the racket have a bit more plough trhrough or 'body' than the kblade tour? people write in the customer service that it plays like a PS85, which is way more stable and has better plough trhrough than the KBT, yet, the specs are very familiar with the KBT.

KBT and for example prestige youtek MP were both too 'flimsy' for me. Will I have the same problem with the dark red or is this frame more stable and substantial? For example with the 5 gram but cap?

The racket is expensive and Iwould really be dissapointed if it is as flimsy as the prestige MP.

How does it play compared to PS85?
Or should I go with the black? (I would guess it is a little too flexible and I would prefer the 16x19 pattern though)

thanks very much for any more detailed input on the dark-red or the black!

JGads
12-15-2010, 11:39 PM
I have an important question about the dark red 94, I am tempted to order the frame but I can not test here in europe so any input is very very welcome!

Does the racket have a bit more plough trhrough or 'body' than the kblade tour? people write in the customer service that it plays like a PS85, which is way more stable and has better plough trhrough than the KBT, yet, the specs are very familiar with the KBT.

KBT and for example prestige youtek MP were both too 'flimsy' for me. Will I have the same problem with the dark red or is this frame more stable and substantial? For example with the 5 gram but cap?

The racket is expensive and Iwould really be dissapointed if it is as flimsy as the prestige MP.

How does it play compared to PS85?
Or should I go with the black? (I would guess it is a little too flexible and I would prefer the 16x19 pattern though)

thanks very much for any more detailed input on the dark-red or the black!

Played a lot with both frames and think the Dark Red is superior in just the way that you're looking for -- deeper shots and a touch more spin capability, which for me made the most difference on serve, where the kickers of the Dark Red far outweighed the capability of the Blade (a frame I still like). When you add the 5g or especially the 10g buttcap, the DR really shines in just about all areas and the plow/court penetration is superior to the Blade. Really didn't care for the Donnay Black series, personally, but loved the Dark Red.

plus
12-16-2010, 04:28 AM
Played a lot with both frames and think the Dark Red is superior in just the way that you're looking for -- deeper shots and a touch more spin capability, which for me made the most difference on serve, where the kickers of the Dark Red far outweighed the capability of the Blade (a frame I still like). When you add the 5g or especially the 10g buttcap, the DR really shines in just about all areas and the plow/court penetration is superior to the Blade. Really didn't care for the Donnay Black series, personally, but loved the Dark Red.

Thanks a lot! What made that you did not care for the black? What are the main differences; they both seem so close in specs!
is there a difference in power? Is the black playing more heavy?

Rorsach
12-16-2010, 04:34 AM
Donnay Quixote
Banned

Halleluja .

JGads
12-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks a lot! What made that you did not care for the black? What are the main differences; they both seem so close in specs!
is there a difference in power? Is the black playing more heavy?

To me, the black just felt a little more sluggish through the air and I wasn't getting the same oomph on serve because of that. The hoop also just felt like it had more give, more 'mushiness' to it, so the Dark Red just felt a wee-bit stiffer and crisp, which seemed to also help the pop a little bit. And that was when both frames had the hybrid setup that came with the demos. When the Dark Red beat out the Black and I decided to try a different string setup with the dark red -- full poly at a higher tension -- and then the frame REALLY started to shine. I've said this before, but I think Donnay is doing these frames a disservice with these demo hybrid setups that come with the frames, stenciled and such. Looks great, but whatever the cross string is that's going with the ALU Power, it's too soft and these beds should be switched out for something that feels more crisp. I think you can request the demos to be unstrung from Donnay and just do it yourself, which isn't a bad idea; it's really best to try these frames with whatever setup you're currently comfortable with.

plus
12-16-2010, 11:08 PM
To me, the black just felt a little more sluggish through the air and I wasn't getting the same oomph on serve because of that. The hoop also just felt like it had more give, more 'mushiness' to it, so the Dark Red just felt a wee-bit stiffer and crisp, which seemed to also help the pop a little bit. And that was when both frames had the hybrid setup that came with the demos. When the Dark Red beat out the Black and I decided to try a different string setup with the dark red -- full poly at a higher tension -- and then the frame REALLY started to shine. I've said this before, but I think Donnay is doing these frames a disservice with these demo hybrid setups that come with the frames, stenciled and such. Looks great, but whatever the cross string is that's going with the ALU Power, it's too soft and these beds should be switched out for something that feels more crisp. I think you can request the demos to be unstrung from Donnay and just do it yourself, which isn't a bad idea; it's really best to try these frames with whatever setup you're currently comfortable with.

Thanks again for your input. I can absolutely relate to your string experiences with comparable frames (can't play at all for example with the PS85 or KBT with strings that are too lively). I can not test the Donnay's in Europe. I just ordered a dark-red 94 with full poly. Looking forward to try it out!

TennezSport
12-17-2010, 02:19 PM
I've said this before, but I think Donnay is doing these frames a disservice with these demo hybrid setups that come with the frames, stenciled and such. Looks great, but whatever the cross string is that's going with the ALU Power, it's too soft and these beds should be switched out for something that feels more crisp.

Actually, the first demos were strung with a full set of Lux, but people complained that the frames were playing too harsh/stiff, so Donnay went to hybriding with their own synth gut string. It's very hard to please everyone when you string demos. This is why we say test the frame when demoing for feel, balance, swing, etc. and we can update the string later.

I think you can request the demos to be unstrung from Donnay and just do it yourself, which isn't a bad idea; it's really best to try these frames with whatever setup you're currently comfortable with.

Unless they have changed their demo policy, I do not think they will ship unstrung, however you may be able to request a demo with a either hybrid or poly setup.

myusername
01-05-2011, 08:05 AM
OK... haven't seen this suggestion YET, but wouldn't Donnay be wise to add a "107 Pro One Oversize" type to their lineup? Other than the Borg wood lineup, it's their most notorious stick thanks to Agassi.

I think it would be cool to add their new XeneCore technology to a thin-beamed OS racquet... Through in the customization and I think they could have something. I personally like the looks as well.

If I'm not mistaken, According to Andre's book "Open" he missed his prince so much after he signed with donnay that he painted over his prince to look like the pro one out on the tour.

JGads
01-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Thought I'd now chime in to this thread with my take. Have demoed the Black 94 and 99, Blue 99, Red 94 and Dark Red (which only comes in a 94). Afraid I can't be of huge help in the thoroughness department because of I've probably played no more than 20 minutes with each racquet except for the Dark Red, because the Dark Red just pummeled the others for me. In brief, I'll say that the Blacks and the Blues had a certain soft quality in how they hit that I just didn't like (and didn't expect). Had I spent more time playing around with strings and weight, I may have found a more suitable setup for me, but I was just starting to have so much fun with the Dark Red that I just concentrated on that one. To me, both the Dark Red and Red both had better/stiffer feels to me off the bat, even with the demo hybrid setup the frames came in. The Red was a little too light for me, though, and that sort of translated to an average performance off the ground -- some amazing whip shots, yes, but not enough weight to control my shots enough.

So, the Dark Red ... Once I pinpointed this as the frame I was most interested in, I had to see how it performed with a bed of full poly since initially the knock on it was a lack of control at times and almost too much power/liveliness with whatever job was already in there. So I went full poly at a high tension, and there you had it, the frame responded wonderfully. Crisper feel immediately felt more at home with my preference, and the high tension reigned in the easy power. That's the hallmark of this thing: easy power and depth. When I really fell in love with the frame, though, was when I took out the buttcap and replaced it with the 10g cap, the heaviest of the three interchangeable caps Donnay provides. The change in balance not only improved the already solid plow-through, but turned the frame into a serving monster. Suddenly I was moving the ball around the box with ease, just picking my spots and blasting away. Been getting more aces up the T than ever before, but the serve out wide to the Ad court (my fave) is always there.

On the ground, the frame really is pretty powerful and mine - with the heaviest cap - actually weighs in at about 12.4, which is heavier than it's supposed to be, I think, but that's just about equal to my Prestige Mid that I've been playing with now for several months. And an interesting difference between the two frames: I've noticed that against the hardest of FLAT hitters, the Prestige has more control/keeps the ball in the court whereas the liveliness (and possibly the open pattern) of the Donnay sends the ball flying a little more often. But against heavy SPINNY hitters, it's the Donnay that tends to rip it back with more success than the Prestige. I think the Donnay is just a tad easier to get around quicker, and sometimes that great attribute can be a fault if you're getting the racquet around quickly on a ball that's already coming at you full steam and flat. Something about the Prestige has always been able to redirect that pace easily but with a little more control.

And finally, slices. Though it's been mentioned several times over, it has to be reiterated that these Donnays just rip through slices like very few other frames. The Dark Red is just killer when it comes to this, keeping everything low and deep. Reminds me of how the K90 sliced, to be honest. And tonight (the night that inspired this enthusiastic post, mind you), I hit one of the better shots of my life with the slice. My opponent had me on my heels, chasing, and had hit an attacking approach shot deep into the Ad court. I was scrambling left, reached back and from two feet behind the baseline whipped a low slice that somehow went crosscourt back in the other direction, barely cleared the net and his outreached racquet and landed a few inches inside the opposite sideline from where I was standing for the winner. Probably the most ridiculous shot I've hit in a year, and one that the guy I played commented on after the match.

As for the results themselves, I'm a 4.0-4.5 player and this guy tonight was a 4.0 that I beat in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4, but a few nights ago I played a 5.0 hitting partner who routinely drubs me (I've taken two sets in about 12 matches) and I still lost, but I pushed him to 7-6, 7-6. So it's been one of those honeymoon weeks, though I've been playing with the Donnay for a few weeks now and for my game, it really has become a standout frame. Something about the open pattern in a small frame with that thin beam, along with the added weight in the cap, is just providing a very nice ride right now and an easier frame to be consistently aggressive with in comparison to the Prestige. Am I switching? Not just yet, but I might be leaning now. Still have another full week or so with the stick and I did order some random TW demos to go up against it and the Prestige in the coming days, since now I again have 'the fever.'

All in all, fun frame and highly recommended to anyone taking a look at the Donnay line. Would recommend the top of the tension range, though, and full poly if you prefer a crisper feel and your arm can handle it.

Pwned
01-07-2011, 09:04 PM
I was really looking forward to hitting with them. I demo'd an x-white and x-black. I wasn't that impressed. I felt the sweet spot was small for the 99sqin head size. I like the dampened feel of my BLX racquet more. Really would have to try them with my strings but I don't feel compelled enough to do that. There is nothing wrong with the racquets, just not my bag.

JGads
01-07-2011, 09:12 PM
I was really looking forward to hitting with them. I demo'd an x-white and x-black. I wasn't that impressed. I felt the sweet spot was small for the 99sqin head size. I like the dampened feel of my BLX racquet more. Really would have to try them with my strings but I don't feel compelled enough to do that. There is nothing wrong with the racquets, just not my bag.

Yeah, the 99s all felt a little weird to me. Not sure if it was a Donnay thing or just a personal preference, but I've loved certain frames with 98-100 head sizes before (Blade 98, 03 Tour MP) so maybe it is a Donnay thing, who knows. With the 99s I just felt a bit like I lost the ball in the stringbed and wasn't sure where the ball was going to go.

Pwned
01-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Yeah, the 99s all felt a little weird to me. Not sure if it was a Donnay thing or just a personal preference, but I've loved certain frames with 98-100 head sizes before (Blade 98, 03 Tour MP) so maybe it is a Donnay thing, who knows. With the 99s I just felt a bit like I lost the ball in the stringbed and wasn't sure where the ball was going to go.

See, at first I really wanted to try the dark red. It sounded perfect. But I've been wanting a slightly bigger sweet spot. That's why I switched from the POG mid to the BLX 95. Maybe I'll have to give the dark red a go.

I love my POG OS too but it's a bit unwieldy. The sweet spot is enormous and it's very comfortable playing. But it's too powerful and I cannot get any whip on my serve. So far the BLX 95 is the perfect compromise I have found. I am waiting on the 98 to try. Maybe once that is out I'll demo the BLX 98 and dark red.

JGads
01-07-2011, 09:25 PM
See, at first I really wanted to try the dark red. It sounded perfect. But I've been wanting a slightly bigger sweet spot. That's why I switched from the POG mid to the BLX 95. Maybe I'll have to give the dark red a go.

I love my POG OS too but it's a bit unwieldy. The sweet spot is enormous and it's very comfortable playing. But it's too powerful and I cannot get any whip on my serve. So far the BLX 95 is the perfect compromise I have found. I am waiting on the 98 to try. Maybe once that is out I'll demo the BLX 98 and dark red.

For what it's worth I'm a big fan of the BLX 95 (16x18), so if I like that as well, then maybe you'll like the Dark Red. The Dark Red hits a LOT like the 95s do, actually -- easy depth and aggression from the baseline, good directional control, but the Donnay cuts through the air a bit more easily and is easier to handle over a long night, I think. The BLX 95 was a frame I'd always click with at the start but then get frustrated by as the night wore on.

Pwned
01-07-2011, 09:27 PM
For what it's worth I'm a big fan of the BLX 95 (16x18), so if I like that as well, then maybe you'll like the Dark Red. The Dark Red hits a LOT like the 95s do, actually -- easy depth and aggression from the baseline, good directional control, but the Donnay cuts through the air a bit more easily and is easier to handle over a long night, I think. The BLX 95 was a frame I'd always click with at the start but then get frustrated by as the night wore on.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to give it a try eventually.

robertj
01-18-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm about to try out some of the new Donnays, but have noticed one thing that bothers me. None of the basic frames, even with the 10g butt cap, come close to achieving the head light balance of the Head Prestige MP or the Prince O3 Tour (or its replacements), or comparable player racquets. None of these Donnays have a balance point that's low enough to begin with. Am I missing something?

corners
01-18-2011, 11:19 PM
I'm about to try out some of the new Donnays, but have noticed one thing that bothers me. None of the basic frames, even with the 10g butt cap, come close to achieving the head light balance of the Head Prestige MP or the Prince O3 Tour (or its replacements), or comparable player racquets. None of these Donnays have a balance point that's low enough to begin with. Am I missing something?

It looks to me that most of the Donnays balance around 32.5cm (6 HL). The Prestige MP is around 32cm (7HL), as is the Ozone Tour and ExoTour. Adding the 10 gram butt weight would bring them to 31.5cm (9HL).

robertj
01-18-2011, 11:55 PM
I think I have my answer. I just got mixed up a little by the inconsistencies in specification listing. TW uses strung weight (oz. and grams) and strung balance in points. Donnay lists unstrung weight and balance in metric units, but oz. for strung weight and points HL/HH for strung balance. Somewhere in the calculations I used strung when I should have used unstrung, or got the units mixed up.

It looks like I can achieve the weight range and balance (12-12.2 in. or 9-11 points HL) that I want to try for comparison to my other preferred frames.

JGads
01-19-2011, 03:14 PM
I think I have my answer. I just got mixed up a little by the inconsistencies in specification listing. TW uses strung weight (oz. and grams) and strung balance in points. Donnay lists unstrung weight and balance in metric units, but oz. for strung weight and points HL/HH for strung balance. Somewhere in the calculations I used strung when I should have used unstrung, or got the units mixed up.

It looks like I can achieve the weight range and balance (12-12.2 in. or 9-11 points HL) that I want to try for comparison to my other preferred frames.

Outside of having a little postal scale at home, I'm not a numbers guy but I feel like I have a good idea for how certain numbers (swingweight and head-lightness) feels. The Dark Red I had, with the heaviest buttcap in place and no weight slides up top, came out to nearly 12.3 strung on the scale and was at LEAST 9 points headlight but to me was more like 10 or 11. Thinness of the frame also may give the illusion of a much lighter head as well, as it cuts through so effortlessly.

uabucks
01-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Courier Switches to Donnay:

http://tennis.com/articles/templates/gear.aspx?articleid=10183&zoneid=24

This is a great article--quite interesting and in depth as to
why he chose the stick, and his insight into equipment power vs control.
He still uses his Gosen JC! which you cannot buy anymore--hybrids it
with a poly

Don't Let It Bounce
01-28-2011, 11:27 PM
It looks from the photos like the 99 is more oval-shaped than the 94. Is it any wider than the 94, or is the extra 5 sq" all in the throat?

SBD
01-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Came across this: http://tennis.com/articles/templates/gear.aspx?articleid=8196&zoneid=24

Power seems to be the only problem

*Donnay X-Black 94
Price: $299
Hitting area: 94 sq. in.
Length: 27 in.
Weight: 11.9 oz.
Balance: 1-in. head light
Beam width: 15 mm
String pattern: 18 x 20
Flexibility: Flexible
Ideal swing: Long
NTRP: 4.5 and up

**Playtester Ratings
Power: 4
Control: 10
Maneuverability: 10
Stability: 10
Comfort: 9

Donnay X-Black 99
Hitting area: 99 sq. in.
String pattern: 16 x 20
NTRP: 4.0 and up

Playtester Ratings
Power: 5
Stability: 9

Donnay X-Blue 94
Flexibility: Firm
NTRP: 4.5 and up

Playtester Ratings
Stability: 10

Donnay X-Blue 99
Hitting area: 99 sq. in.
Flexibility: Firm

Playtester Ratings

Donnay X-Dark Red 94
Price: $279
Weight: 11.8 oz.
String pattern: 16 x 19

Playtester Ratings
Power: 4

JGads
01-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Trust me, power is not a problem with these frames. I'm actually trying to power-down the Dark Red right now with some control strings because it has so much gas.

SBD
01-30-2011, 03:40 PM
Trust me, power is not a problem with these frames. I'm actually trying to power-down the Dark Red right now with some control strings because it has so much gas.

wow really?Why do you think TENNIS.com gave the dark red a 4/10 for power?

JGads
01-30-2011, 03:55 PM

No clue. Something like the Pure Storm Limited, that has low power. Or a Yonex RDS series. That, to me, is low powered. The Dark Red, to me, has a power level comparable to the 6.1 95 series. It crushes serves and gets easy depth on groundstrokes. So I wouldn't look at those ratings seriously.

TennezSport
02-01-2011, 09:10 AM

No clue. Something like the Pure Storm Limited, that has low power. Or a Yonex RDS series. That, to me, is low powered. The Dark Red, to me, has a power level comparable to the 6.1 95 series. It crushes serves and gets easy depth on groundstrokes. So I wouldn't look at those ratings seriously.

It's really difficult to get a general review on racquet specs if they are not tested in the exact same way, so one test group may have a different answer than another. This could be due to the string used, tension, player ability and ball. If some test with poly and another with a synth gut and another with a multi, you will get different results. The same thing would happen if you have a 3.5 level player testing or a 5.5 level player. So it's easy to see why you might get a power level that is low especially if the player in not very strong or the string tension is high. This is why we always suggest players demo frames.

SBD
02-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Never mind lol they gave the six one 95's power a 2 out of 10

Playtester Ratings (from 1–10 with 10 being excellent):
Power: 2
Control: 9
Maneuverability: 6
Comfort: 3