PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4 Antenna Issues

XFactorer
07-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Any techies here wanna weigh in on the controversial issue of the iPhone 4 antenna issues? Anyone have an iPhone 4?

1) Can you replicate the "death grip"?
2) Are you dropping more/less/same number of calls as the 3G(S)?
3) Does the supposed antenna issue affect your quality time with the phone?
4) Do you consider yourself to be in an area with weak/bad signal?

rovex
07-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Apple products are overrated. Although i think the issue has been blown out of proportion. The problem will only affect people who hold their phones with their left hand. And soo i imagine a pretty small number.

TMCW140
07-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Yes, but not in a particularly comfortable, or natural way
Have yet to drop a call in the week i've had it
No, not really been an issue- only people constantly asking me about it
I live in a bad-ish area for signal and in a very old house, full of beams and random shaped roofs etc but still get a usable signal.

got the 4.1 update today, and bizarrely. i now have a better signal.
Hope that helps (for reference, this is being written on my iphone 4, and i'm holding it left handed)

TheLoneWolf
07-17-2010, 12:16 PM
Apple products are overrated. Although i think the issue has been blown out of proportion. The problem will only affect people who hold their phones with their left hand. And soo i imagine a pretty small number.
I think iPhones are one of the better smartphones (along with some HTC products,) but I would never pay for one. I use phones to make phone calls and that's about it. Plus Apple products are grossly overpriced. I know some people will hate me for this, but: Apple has become all that it denounced in that infamous "1984" commercial. Pretty much all their stuff is overpriced and proprietary.

I think most right handed people hold their phones with their left hand (at least I do.) It's the natural thing to do, especially when you are doing something else (like driving) that requires the use of your right hand.

Apple should fix the issue and replace the phones of anybody that has issues due to the antena design, period. That bullcrap about giving people free cases as a form of compensation is a bunch of ***** if you ask me.

Power Player
07-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Another option is to use wifi when you are at home. I use wifi on my htc evo and it is basically a mini laptop. Just super fast internet and no dropped calls.

XFactorer
07-17-2010, 12:36 PM
I think iPhones are one of the better smartphones (along with some HTC products,) but I would never pay for one. I use phones to make phone calls and that's about it. Plus Apple products are grossly overpriced. I know some people will hate me for this, but: Apple has become all that it denounced in that infamous "1984" commercial. Pretty much all their stuff is overpriced and proprietary.

I think most right handed people hold their phones with their left hand (at least I do.) It's the natural thing to do, especially when you are doing something else (like driving) that requires the use of your right hand.

Apple should fix the issue and replace the phones of anybody that has issues due to the antena design, period. That bullcrap about giving people free cases as a form of compensation is a bunch of ***** if you ask me.

A) Apple is letting you return the phone if you want. They're not forcing you to keep it. They also replace the phones that they can at the Apple Stores.

B) I'm right handed and hold my phone with both hands. But mostly just right hand.

C) The fact that iPhones are selling and the return rates are lower than the 3GS should probably give us a clue that people aren't really affected that much by this "Antenna Gate" issue.

D) They are not grossly overpriced. You may not look pass the product that you get. For example, a laptop. You get great build quality. It's the different between a bargain car and a luxury car. So if you're gonna compare a iPhone to a free, cheap phone, you're gonna perceive the "phone" as being overpriced. But I think you definitely get what you pay for.

E) I have the 3G right now, just waiting for the white iPhones to come out. But, I couldn't get the signal to drop with any death grip, or by covering any part of the phone. And I only got 3 bars (after the 4.0.1 update).

rovex
07-17-2010, 12:46 PM

I always hold a phone with my right hand. Anyway, they are giving free cases up until the 30th of September and then will "decide" what to do next. My guess is that they will release a new Iphone and remove the signal problem where that band is placed.

Because, they can't just keep giving cases away to every single person who buys an Iphone for the next year.

XFactorer
07-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Another option is to use wifi when you are at home. I use wifi on my htc evo and it is basically a mini laptop. Just super fast internet and no dropped calls.

The EVO does VOIP?

....and super fast internet and no dropped calls = significantly less battery life.

TheLoneWolf
07-17-2010, 12:48 PM
A) Apple is letting you return the phone if you want. They're not forcing you to keep it. They also replace the phones that they can at the Apple Stores.

B) I'm right handed and hold my phone with both hands. But mostly just right hand.

C) The fact that iPhones are selling and the return rates are lower than the 3GS should probably give us a clue that people aren't really affected that much by this "Antenna Gate" issue.

D) They are not grossly overpriced. You may not look pass the product that you get. For example, a laptop. You get great build quality. It's the different between a bargain car and a luxury car. So if you're gonna compare a iPhone to a free, cheap phone, you're gonna perceive the "phone" as being overpriced. But I think you definitely get what you pay for.

E) I have the 3G right now, just waiting for the white iPhones to come out. But, I couldn't get the signal to drop with any death grip, or by covering any part of the phone. And I only got 3 bars (after the 4.0.1 update).
Fair enough. Some people seem to have an issue, but as you say it must not be prevalent enough, since iPhone 4s seem to be still in high demand.

I am a Thinkpad/Linux guy, so maybe that explains some of my comments. I think they have brought quite a few technical innovations, especially regarding user interface, but one of the things I can't get beyond is the fact that I think Apple puts more emphasis on design than on durability, for example. Also, their love of proprietary stuff is not something I like (for example, refusing to release Flash or Java for the iPhone. Correct me if I'm wrong about this because I haven't been following the developments closely, but that's what I heard anyway.)

XFactorer
07-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Fair enough. Some people seem to have an issue, but as you say it must not be prevalent enough, since iPhone 4s seem to be still in high demand.

I am a Thinkpad/Linux guy, so maybe that explains some of my comments. I think they have brought quite a few technical innovations, especially regarding user interface, but one of the things I can't get beyond is the fact that I think Apple puts more emphasis on design than on durability, for example. Also, their love of proprietary stuff is not something I like (for example, refusing to release Flash or Java for the iPhone. Correct me if I'm wrong about this because I haven't been following the developments closely, but that's what I heard anyway.)

The Flash thing isn't really "proprietary" stuff you're thinking of. Flash isn't meant for a touch interface, it's mean for a mouse interface where you can hover over things. I mean, you can force it to work on the iPhone by jailbreaking it.

It's really Apple's decision to keep Flash out. For the lay user, they don't even know Flash isn't in Safari for the iPhone. They don't have a clue that the web (via a little push from Apple) is moving to HTML5. Not having Flash on the iPhone is really something only and issue the insanely tech savvy community - which the iPhone does overlap into. It's like those videos of the EVO vs iPhone... are you a programmer? No? Then why do you really care that much that it's not an open source platform? You still get your Facebook App, darnnit!

And proprietary stuff in Apple products are like the 30-pin connectors at the bottom of your iPods and iPhones. 3rd parties need to pay license fees to build products around that technology, and boy do they ever. A lot of companies have their own proprietary quirks (e.g. Sony's MemoryStick in their digital cameras).

TheLoneWolf
07-17-2010, 01:05 PM
The Flash thing isn't really "proprietary" stuff you're thinking of. Flash isn't meant for a touch interface, it's mean for a mouse interface where you can hover over things. I mean, you can force it to work on the iPhone by jailbreaking it.

It's really Apple's decision to keep Flash out. For the lay user, they don't even know Flash isn't in Safari for the iPhone. They don't have a clue that the web (via a little push from Apple) is moving to HTML5. Not having Flash on the iPhone is really something only and issue the insanely tech savvy community - which the iPhone does overlap into. It's like those videos of the EVO vs iPhone... are you a programmer? No? Then why do you really care that much that it's not an open source platform? You still get your Facebook App, darnnit!

And proprietary stuff in Apple products are like the 30-pin connectors at the bottom of your iPods and iPhones. 3rd parties need to pay license fees to build products around that technology, and boy do they ever. A lot of companies have their own proprietary quirks (e.g. Sony's MemoryStick in their digital cameras).
I actually think the Flash/Java exclusion has more to do with licensing revenue than anything else. Why not enable it and let people decide what to install in their iPhone? That's my main problem. The fact that, instead of leaving it to their users, they dictate what you can or can not install based on revenue considerations. By controlling the delivery platform, I guess they can also control content and licensing (which has turned out to be a big slice of their pie.) Thus my mention of the infamous "1984" commercial.

XFactorer
07-17-2010, 01:23 PM
I actually think the Flash/Java exclusion has more to do with licensing revenue than anything else. Why not enable it and let people decide what to install in their iPhone? That's my main problem. The fact that, instead of leaving it to their users, they dictate what you can or can not install based on revenue considerations. By controlling the delivery platform, I guess they can also control content and licensing (which has turned out to be a big slice of their pie.) Thus my mention of the infamous "1984" commercial.

I don't think Apple cares too much about licensing fees. They have deep pockets. The iPhone name is Cisco's, anyway. Apple paid big bucks for it.

I don't mind Apple controlling what gets on the hardware. For me, it's a non-issue. I have everything I need. I'm fine if Flash is out. This way, Apple can ensure a clean user interface. One of the bad things about Android programs is that they could be running in the background (through a differently designed multitasking function) and drain the battery. The pro I take lessons from has to turn off his Android phone because he can't figure out what's going on and/or how to turn off a "feature" that is sucking his battery life down to a few hours.

They can control the platform, but they can't control the content. Safari will let you reach whatever content you want. P0rn? You got it. Anti-Apple webpages? Go for it.

The App Store tries to keep out the badly programmed things. It doesn't try to restrict free-speech, though there seems to be the one or app rejections by lower level employees that make a fuss in the tech world.

And why are we really referencing 1984? The world was different back then. The companies were different back then. Market share was different. Sure, the message was to "Think Different." That was then. That was an advertising campaign. There are new advertising campaigns on which to focus your attention these days, and I don't mean the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" campaign, 'cause that's over. If we're going to hold on to old messages, we're never going to go anywhere.

xYanYan
07-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Any techies here wanna weigh in on the controversial issue of the iPhone 4 antenna issues? Anyone have an iPhone 4?

Sort of. doesnt feel right holding the phone like that
Nope i havent dropped a call at all on the iPhone4
Not really. just move your fingers and itll be fine. the antenna issue is overrated. Its not THAT hard to fix it by yourself
Middle - good signalish

Claudius
07-17-2010, 02:21 PM
I've had my iPhone 4 for about a week and experienced no dropped calls. The whole issue is being overblown. I'm guessing less than 5% of iPhone 4 users are experiencing this problem. Besides, all iPhone 4 owners are being shipped a free case - problem solved.

Power Player
07-17-2010, 02:23 PM
The EVO does VOIP?

....and super fast internet and no dropped calls = significantly less battery life.

yes it can. I use it at home. Basically you get a device called an airave which is 5 bucks a month and you can use that for it.

If you are at work, you can make skype calls if you had to.

But simply enabling wifi will take you off the 3g network and many times, like you said that improves the battery life and many times the signal quality since the phone is not constantly searching for a satellite in a bad area.

Pretty sure the Iphone should do that also.

Regardless, if you have bad signal , try to get on wifi if its at a place like work or home where you spend a lot of time. Really can help.

Power Player
07-17-2010, 02:27 PM
One of the bad things about Android programs is that they could be running in the background (through a differently designed multitasking function) and drain the battery. The pro I take lessons from has to turn off his Android phone because he can't figure out what's going on and/or how to turn off a "feature" that is sucking his battery life down to a few hours.

Thats not true anymore, at least with the evo. I know it used to be the case.

What happens now is that the apps run in the background and are killed by the OS if they are not being used and are draining battery. They made app killers that did this for you before, but if you use them with the Evo then it actually makes it worse.

I was concerned about battery life after reading the reviews, but I can honestly say it has not once been an issue for me, and I do have a fair share of apps. My blackberry was way worse because it did not have wifi, and the signal at my house was weak..it would die super fast every night.

forthegame
07-17-2010, 02:28 PM
IMO, Apple is experiencing just a fraction of what Microsoft has had to deal with for ages.

Power Player
07-17-2010, 04:41 PM
IMO, Apple is experiencing just a fraction of what Microsoft has had to deal with for ages.

Exactly, that is why i don't understand phone fanboys. If everyone had the same phone because it was clearly the best, that would be pretty boring and lame. There has to be phones like the Evo, new blackberrys or whatever else that even the playing field and create competition. And they will all experience glitches when they first come out.

XFactorer
07-17-2010, 07:15 PM
I've had my iPhone 4 for about a week and experienced no dropped calls. The whole issue is being overblown. I'm guessing less than 5% of iPhone 4 users are experiencing this problem. Besides, all iPhone 4 owners are being shipped a free case - problem solved.

I think the percentage Steve threw out during the press conference on Friday was 0.55% of AppleCare calls were about the antenna issue. (But playing Devil's Advocate, there could be more people going back to the stores to complain than calling AppleCare)

I really liked that Nokia and RIM felt the need to issue their own statements saying they spend blah blah blah dollars and man-hours perfecting their phones' antennas and designs and whatnot.

I saw a review of the Moto Droid X, but it's looking to quite humongous! I'd probably have to start carrying a murse (or as I'd like to call it, a satchel) to carry the phone, wallet, keys, blah blah blah.

I'm gonna have to look into what Consumer Reports said about the phone exactly. Sure, the replicated the Death Grip... but did they honestly experience a disproportionately large number of dropped calls? What's the p-value of their statistical analyses? :-)

...yup, still waiting for my iPhone 4 in white to come out.

XFactorer
07-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Exactly, that is why i don't understand phone fanboys. If everyone had the same phone because it was clearly the best, that would be pretty boring and lame. There has to be phones like the Evo, new blackberrys or whatever else that even the playing field and create competition. And they will all experience glitches when they first come out.

Totally agree with you. I'm kinda odd, though, I just realized. I play with with Yonex because everyone else has Wilson or Babolat. I switched to Mac before it it was the cool thing to do. Now it just seems like everyone has an iPhone and I'm not the cool person that everyone knows who has the iPhone. I'm just like everyone else... *sigh* At least not everyone has a Yonex... yet.

Fedace
07-17-2010, 07:41 PM
To: Steve Jobs
Recall All iphone 4's and fix the problems. Ugly covers isn't the answer... or RESIGN.

XFactorer
07-17-2010, 09:38 PM
To: Steve Jobs
Recall All iphone 4's and fix the problems. Ugly covers isn't the answer... or RESIGN.

Fedace, what problems are you having with the iPhone 4?

A) Return your iPhone and get a new replacement
B) Return your iPhone and get something else
C) Oh, you dont have any first-hand experience and you're just listening to all the ramblings from the hyperbole factory that is the media?

A recall isn't really necessary. The iPhone isn't harming anyone with the antenna issue like a Prius and it's supposed accelerator issues. The device isn't non-function or DOA. It's supposedly affecting only a small percentage.

Bottom line is if you're not happy with the iPhone 4, get something else. Put yourself in the Apple's shoes and think if a recall would really be necessary.

lisp
07-17-2010, 10:07 PM
Fedace, what problems are you having with the iPhone 4?

A) Return your iPhone and get a new replacement
B) Return your iPhone and get something else
C) Oh, you dont have any first-hand experience and you're just listening to all the ramblings from the hyperbole factory that is the media?

A recall isn't really necessary. The iPhone isn't harming anyone with the antenna issue like a Prius and it's supposed accelerator issues. The device isn't non-function or DOA. It's supposedly affecting only a small percentage.

Bottom line is if you're not happy with the iPhone 4, get something else. Put yourself in the Apple's shoes and think if a recall would really be necessary.

We could all play this game. Put yourself in apple's shoes and think about whether you would go with this antenna design when you knew it had problems and face the resolve of spending money to make millions of bumpers out of your own pocket to resolve the issue or go with another antenna design and not deal with this backlash.

XFactorer
07-18-2010, 01:05 PM
We could all play this game. Put yourself in apple's shoes and think about whether you would go with this antenna design when you knew it had problems and face the resolve of spending money to make millions of bumpers out of your own pocket to resolve the issue or go with another antenna design and not deal with this backlash.

Sure, perhaps an exposed antenna could cause potential problems. But it seems like you'd have to go out of your way to "Death Grip" the iPhone to highlight this problem. It seems like most people aren't extremely inconvenienced (or at all) by the antenna design.

Anyway, we don't know Apple's background chatter when all these designs were in the works. Fact is that the problem seems to blowing way out of proportion. Consumer Reports says they can't recommend the iPhone, but has scored the iPhone 4 as the best smarthphone to date (beating out the HTC Evo and Moto Droid)...

rovex
07-19-2010, 07:47 AM
Love the fact they didn't include Q&A in the video i saw. Not a very smart move i thought when they are trying to portray an image of "It's our fault, we have to face the criticism that comes with it".

XFactorer
07-19-2010, 02:39 PM
You can find the Q&A transcripts on all the gadget blocks.

Polaris
07-20-2010, 01:35 AM
AT&T sucks so much that the iphone 4's pluses and minuses are nearly irrelevant to me. Most likely getting a Droid X soon.

XFactorer
07-21-2010, 02:51 PM
AT&T sucks so much that the iphone 4's pluses and minuses are nearly irrelevant to me. Most likely getting a Droid X soon.

I take it you just have weak signal in your area?

Fedace
07-22-2010, 10:45 AM
How do you Unlock Iphone 4 ?? I was told it is easy to do. can anybody do this ??

rommil
07-22-2010, 10:56 AM
How do you Unlock Iphone 4 ?? I was told it is easy to do. can anybody do this ??

Google where you can buy an iKey..........

rommil
07-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Totally agree with you. I'm kinda odd, though, I just realized. I play with with Yonex because everyone else has Wilson or Babolat. I switched to Mac before it it was the cool thing to do. Now it just seems like everyone has an iPhone and I'm not the cool person that everyone knows who has the iPhone. I'm just like everyone else... *sigh* At least not everyone has a Yonex... yet.

I hear you. I have had an iPhone since it came out and now have the 4, waiting on my Casemate Barely there case. And oh, Yonex user here, since 99.

Arthuro
07-22-2010, 11:15 AM
So I went into Verizon yesterday to get some accessories for my DROID X, and the guys turned me on to this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg&feature=channel).

Polaris
07-28-2010, 09:50 AM
I take it you just have weak signal in your area?
Quite the contrary. AT&T has an extremely strong signal in my area. So does VZ. Outside my regular area, AT&T is pure garbage while VZ is still serviceable. I tend to be outside very often.