PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question: Can someone explain head light to me?

FattyCakes
07-17-2010, 11:34 AM
When you look at the specs of a racquet and it says 4 pts head light or 3 pts head light? Could someone care to explain to me what that means?

Agent Orynge
07-17-2010, 11:39 AM
I'd say RTFS, but I didn't actually see it in the sticky, so you get a bye there.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/RacquetStringTerms.html

"Balance: Static measure of weight distribution in a racquet and measured, in inches, from the middle of the racquet towards the grip or head. Commonly referenced in "points" head light or head heavy - each "point" represents an 1/8 inch deviation from the exact center of the frame. For example, a 27 inch racquet with a balance point 1 inch away from the center and towards the grip is 8 points head light (even balance would be 13-1/2 inches from either the grip or head). A 28 inch racquet with a balance point 1 inch away from the center and towards the head is 8 points head heavy. Generally speaking, heavier racquets are head light to maintain maneuverability, while most of today's super-light racquets are head heavy to supply enough mass (which translates into power) to the area of the frame where the ball is being contacted. Static balance ultimately affects swingweight (see below), which is a dynamic measure of racquet maneuverability."

flashfire276
07-17-2010, 06:00 PM
It's that feeling when you get high or drunk, then you feel light headed. =D

Just kidding (I know, that was uncalled for). But basically, it means the center of gravity is closer to the handle than the top of the head. And center of gravity, think about trying to balance a pencil longways on your fingertip. When that pencil doesn't move around anymore, that point is the center of balance. But if it's head light, that means you need to move closer to the handle in order to get that neutral point.

Agent Orynge
07-18-2010, 11:52 AM
/thread

10char