PDA

View Full Version : I am very confused =s

Xx PGX!
07-17-2010, 06:08 PM
ok so I played today for 5 hours straight and started hitting with a head youtek speed mp 16 x 19. everything was going ok, but as time passed most of my topspin forehands were way to deep and I just couldn't manage to keep'em on the court. So, I decided to switch to a Volkl Powerbridge 10 Light 18 x 20. I was astonished at how my game play improved immensely, my serves were lethal, my forehands right on the base line and I just felt more confident with my shots. My question is, Did my game play improved due to the weight of the racquet (Head yt speed mp = 11.8 oz , Volkl PB light = 10.9 oz) or the string pattern? I' am 19 years old so I can perfectly manage a heavy racquet but im so confused. I've been playing for only 7 months btw. Thx

1stVolley
07-17-2010, 06:15 PM
A lot of possible answers to this one. My guess is that you started to tire and were hitting a bit late, causing the balls to float somewhat and go long. Switching to the PB 10 light corrected your late swing because it was a lighter stick.

Xx PGX!
07-17-2010, 06:23 PM
A lot of possible answers to this one. My guess is that you started to tire and were hitting a bit late, causing the balls to float somewhat and go long. Switching to the PB 10 light corrected your late swing because it was a lighter stick.
I guess is very obvious what you wrote, but I feel perfectly fine playing with the Head YT Speed MP. Maybe I don't notice whether or not I feel tired with a certain stick since I played in harsh conditions here in Miami (Hot :evil:)

cmf
07-17-2010, 06:33 PM
The strings on the YT speed could have lost tension and played differently. Could have also been different strings just in general, or different tensions; which could allow for more control. And even if you can swing the heavier racquet you should still generate a faster swing speed with the lighter racquet which would impart more spin on the ball.

Five hours straight is a long time to play tennis for, you might not have noticed being tired but your body is definitely not going to be 100% for all five hours.

Xx PGX!
07-17-2010, 06:40 PM
The strings on the YT speed could have lost tension and played differently. Could have also been different strings just in general, or different tensions; which could allow for more control. And even if you can swing the heavier racquet you should still generate a faster swing speed with the lighter racquet which would impart more spin on the ball.

Five hours straight is a long time to play tennis for, you might not have noticed being tired but your body is definitely not going to be 100% for all five hours.

Definitely. I would like to try the volkl PB 10 Mid Plus, but I fear it would be too heavy (12.0 oz). And in the other hand the PB light, is way to light lol. any recommendations similar to the Volkl PB 10?

flashfire276
07-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Happens to me too! Start with a Prestige, and I end up with a Radical.

I guess there's a point where that massive weight would just get to you, and you start to get tired, bad timing, etc. But with that lighter switch, it helps because its gonna be a bit easier on your body to use.

1stVolley
07-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Definitely. I would like to try the volkl PB 10 Mid Plus, but I fear it would be too heavy (12.0 oz). And in the other hand the PB light, is way to light lol. any recommendations similar to the Volkl PB 10?

I now play with the PB 10 Mid. I think it comes in around 12.1 oz. strung, but it's 10 points head light and a moderate swing weight of around 334. It garnered one of the best reviews by the T-W crew--in fact two of them switched to it as their main racquet. Definitely worth a demo.

SirGounder
07-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Yeah I've noticed the same thing with my game. I start with PSC 6.1 and the longer I play, I notice my shots falling short and floating long. Then I switch to my 200G XL (I know pretty big change) and all is good.

BreakPoint
07-19-2010, 01:22 PM
I'm thinking that the strings lost tension in your Head Speed and you need to restring the racquet.

Zefer
07-20-2010, 03:52 AM
I'm thinking that the strings lost tension in your Head Speed and you need to restring the racquet.

This was my thought as well.