PDA

View Full Version : Pros's and Cons: Tennis Racket Monopoly vs. Choice

new_tennis_player
07-18-2010, 11:59 AM
One of the fun (or frustating) aspects of a tennis racket purchase these days is the sheer proliferation of rackets.

I remember back in the day, it seemed easy: I set a budget ($40) on the spot walking into a store, and purchased a light, graphite racket and was on my way.

This time 'round, I figure I'm going to be playing for a while and want the "right" racket. The thing is, I am completely overwhelmed with the choices!

I've gone through three rounds of demo's, found a racket I really like, but am concerned that there is something "better."

I know this is silly, since after demoing as much as I have, I've learned that within classes (OS/midplus), there is more similarity than uniqueness.

It's interesting that among racket manufacturers, we have a wide variety of options, yet this is source of consternation as well! Monopolies are bad, but too much choice is also confusing!

At what point did you say: "this is good enough..."

Xenakis
07-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Watch this short TED lecture on too much choice, basically expands on what you're saying. More choice doesn't necessarily mean more happiness.

Psychologist Barry Schwartz takes aim at a central tenet of western societies: freedom of choice. In Schwartz's estimation, choice has made us not freer but more paralyzed, not happier but more dissatisfied.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO6XEQIsCoM&feature=related

Agent Orynge
07-18-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm pro choice.

ollinger
07-18-2010, 01:41 PM
The same phenomenon has been written about widely concerning dating websites. People report being less able to commit because there are always so many more options open to them and they fear missing out on what would have seemed a better choice.

galain
07-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Too much choice is the result of a spoiled society. I tend to agree with Schwartz - our choices today result more often in "analysis paralysis" than in something helpful.

Anyone ever gone to the video store with their partner to just "grab something" to watch? I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.....