PDA

View Full Version : Are the Radical, Pure Storm etc. player's frames or tweeners?

pyrokid
07-18-2010, 04:56 PM
First off, by etc, I meant racquets similar to the two listed, with weights around 11.0-11.5 oz, low flex ratings, 95-ish headsizes, around 2-4 pts HL, you know the type.

I've always wondered this, as they don't have the head heavy balance of player's frames, but they do have the flex and lower power than usual for tweeners.
Or is there some in-between category between tweeners and player's frames? :shock:

pyrokid
07-18-2010, 05:45 PM
so I guess the lower weight's the deciding factor for those who votes yes?

dadozen
07-18-2010, 05:47 PM
I think of K6.2, Babolat Drive Z Lite and other racquets from the same level as tweeners. Pure Storm and Radicals MPs are somewhere in between tweeners and player's frames. They are just lighter versions of real player's racquets. That's just my opinion though

OldButGame
07-18-2010, 05:55 PM
I think of K6.2, Babolat Drive Z Lite and other racquets from the same level as tweeners. Pure Storm and Radicals MPs are somewhere in between tweeners and player's frames. They are just lighter versions of real player's racquets. That's just my opinion though
I would agree with this. I play with the MG Radical and the PSL both,.....i would call them just 'lighter versions' of pros as well.

rich s
07-18-2010, 06:01 PM
First off, by etc, I meant racquets similar to the two listed, with weights around 11.0-11.5 oz, low flex ratings, 95-ish headsizes, around 2-4 pts HL, you know the type.

I've always wondered this, as they don't have the head heavy balance of player's frames, but they do have the flex and lower power than usual for tweeners.
Or is there some in-between category between tweeners and player's frames? :shock:

The term tweener is used to describe racquets that fall in between "players" racquets and "game improvement" racquets.... IMO the racquets you inquire about are "tweeners"

pyrokid
07-18-2010, 06:12 PM
So... this is what confuses me...
Are powerful racquets tweeners, or light ones?
I know the aero pro and pure drive are tweeners because they're both, but while the radical still has a lot of pop, it's no where near the same amount as a pure drive.

Djoker_69
07-18-2010, 06:34 PM
some radicals are tweener's and some arnt. like the radical pro the radical tour (radical mp MAYBE) are not tweeners, but the radical os and radical lite are def tweeners.

marosmith
07-18-2010, 07:20 PM
They are players frames. They just need to be customized.

pyrokid
07-18-2010, 08:02 PM
By radical, I meant MP.

bluetrain4
07-18-2010, 08:04 PM
They're both.

1. They can be gateway rackets for people who end up using "traditional" player's frames -- 12+oz, thinner beams, generally smaller heads (though racquets like the heavy Prince oversize frames were player's frames as well).

2. But, plenty of advanced players use these type of frames exclusively now. so they are indeed player's frames in their own right.

"Player's frame" is a term used to denote a frame that is used by a player who has reached a certain level. I can't pinpoint the level, but someone who most would dub an "advanced" player -- fully developed strokes, established weapons/and or a high level of consistency, someone who knows how to construct points.

And many of these sorts of players today used lighter and/or thicker-beamed frames.

I guess quite a few people still use the term "player's frame" simply as code for certain specs.

I have no idea why people obsess about how their racket is categorized. I'm not saying that this is what the OP is doing, but some people really do care.

the Town Sherif
07-19-2010, 06:46 AM
Stock form I would specify as "light player" frame.
Easily customizable as player frame with a leather grip or lead in the hoop.